450C Loader Starter

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
DrLoch
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

450C Loader Starter

Post by DrLoch » Mon Jan 01, 2018 8:23 am

Of course now that it's cold my starter, more specifically the drive, is starting to act up. It will spin the motor over a couple revolutions then kick-out or de-clutch and spin. Since I got the loader the starter never sounded what I would call strong. Some one at some point had it rebuilt since it's green.

1st Question, I've seen some on E-Bay anyone bought one and good results. I'm not interested in having it rebuilt, I've found that in most cases the rebuild costs is about as much a new one. 2nd, how much of a bear is it to replace? Obviously I need to have the bucket raised enough to get under the loader arms. Since this has become and issue I've gone to rolling the bucket down and sticking the teeth ground.That looks like it would give me enough room to get at the starter.
450C Track Loader
291457T

B Town
350 crawler
350 crawler

Re: 450C Loader Starter

Post by B Town » Mon Jan 01, 2018 9:09 am

Happy New Year DrLoch,

I had the same issue last spring. I have no eBay starter experience. I'm very happy with the starter I got at NAPA.

The starter removal and replacement is straightforward. Look at the fastener on the bottom side of the starter. If it is a stud, you will have an easier time. If it is a bolt, it can be a bear to hold the bolt straight on re-start. Upon my experience, I found it best to remove this fastener first and restart last( leaving the top bolt loose), of course. My biggest problem was maintaining control of this nut while getting it threaded. I used a short socket with a magnetic insert, black tape to shim the nut inside the socket. Used a stiff swivel on a perfect length extension . I fine tooth ratchet would have been helpful. If you have a bolt on the bottom side you will save a lot by put the correct stud in place.
Take care, Bruce

DrLoch
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by DrLoch » Mon Jan 01, 2018 10:41 am

B Town, Happy new year to you also.

Thanks for the advise. Do you by chance have a PN for the NAPA starter?
450C Track Loader
291457T

CuttingEdge
2010 crawler
2010 crawler

Post by CuttingEdge » Mon Jan 01, 2018 2:44 pm

I might not count out a rebuild.

I go to a shop where they charge a flat fee of $65 to address the starter (tear down, clean and reinstall the parts), then get charged for any parts needed. I thought they would just soak me on parts I did not need, but when I told them that, they said they worked at equipment dealers that did that very thing and they were not having it. My starter for a full rebuild was $90.

A year later when I still had trouble, they rebuilt it again. That was when they said I had a low voltage problem and that it was just a solenoid that was bad. They said, "You just had it rebuilt last year by us, so no charge."

Needless to say they got a customer for life.
I have no intention of traveling to my grave in a well manicured body; instead I am going to slide into heaven with a big power turn, totally wore out with busted knuckles, jump off my dozer loudly yelling, Woo Hoo, another Shepard has just arrived!

amos
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by amos » Mon Jan 01, 2018 5:31 pm

Did a quick search on e-bay and Chinese is 89.00 with free shipping and Delco Remy is 189.00 + shipping. These go by engine number so use your engine number to refine search.Probably on Amazon too.
Amos
Pushin hard or diggin deep life is good.
What's ahead is what matters. What's behind is already done.
A fool of a man is he who doesn't ask questions...
God gave us 2 ears and 1 mouth for a reason...

B Town
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by B Town » Tue Jan 02, 2018 1:29 pm

Sorry, I have looked, but can't find the NAPA #. Bruce

DrLoch
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by DrLoch » Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:58 am

Not a problem, too cold outside to be doing any knuckle busting right now.
450C Track Loader
291457T