Input Shaft On A 420

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
JWB Contracting
2010 crawler
2010 crawler

Input Shaft On A 420

Post by JWB Contracting » Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:29 pm

We are in the process of fixing the transmission on a nice 420 with the inside mount Dozer. Second gear was noisy and we we pulled the transmission it appears to have just been assembled as some assembly grease was still present, however they didn't put a pre-load on the PTO shaft. This came from a collector and I'm assuming they had just mounted the winch and installed the PTO shaft (winch had all new bands inside with no clearance so wound't frees pool and was primed inside).

We do not have a spare 420 transmission or input shaft. We do however have a few 40 and 440 transmissions and parts.

Does anyone know if a 40 input shaft will work, knowing we will need to use a different clutch shaft?

I also believe we could take a 440 input shaft to a machine shop and get it cut down and the correct splines cut.

This is a very nice strait machine that runs excellent, tin is great and has a winch. We are going to sell this machine but want to make sure it's fixed right whether it is just a show piece or put to work. Just need a few bearings and seals and the input shaft to fix it.
Jason Benesch

John Deere 420, 430, 440 & 350C With 3 Point Hitch
John Deere 400G With Winch
John Deere 2010 Crawler Dozer
John Deere 420, 430, 435 & 440 Wheel Tractors

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Input Shaft On A 420

Post by Lavoy » Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:41 am

Varies with serial number. Phase one 420 is the same as 40, all else are different. I do have a trans here with an input shaft, what is your serial number, and 4 or 5 speed.
Lavoy
Parts and restoration for antique and late model John Deere crawlers.
Owner and moderator www.jdcrawlers.com