20 Below and Blowing 20

Show us pictures of your JD crawler and attachments.
CuttingEdge
2010 crawler
2010 crawler

20 Below and Blowing 20

Post by CuttingEdge » Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:00 pm

Well that is the old saying anyway, but that is not really what happened today. It was more like the blizzard we got was 27 degrees blow zero (f), the wind was blowing at 47 miles and hour, and we got 18.3 inches of snow on the ground. With the foot of snow we already had, yeah...waist deep! That will be fun to log in!

My next bulldozer is going to have a cab and heat I can tell you that!

I spent about 6 hours bulldozing myself, my neighbors, and then my logging road out. HOLY CRAP. My logging road crests at the top of a hill and it literally would take your breath away the wind was so fierce and the temp so cold. Some of the snow drifts were over the hood of my cab, and when I got done had piles of snow 6-7 feet high.

I knew I was cold, but did not know how cold until I got inside and was shaking. I literally was hypodermic and nearly had frost bite on my toes and cheeks. I knew when I was plowing snow by my wood pile that I was cold, but when I started doing the turnaround for the log trucks, I felt warmer so I kept going. I had no idea I was as cold as I was.

I always called Lavoy a friend, but Jeesh he does not have to hog all the good weather. (LOL)

Katie might have some photos of today's adventures.
I have no intention of traveling to my grave in a well manicured body; instead I am going to slide into heaven with a big power turn, totally wore out with busted knuckles, jump off my dozer loudly yelling, Woo Hoo, another Shepard has just arrived!

dtoots1
350 crawler
350 crawler

Re: 20 Below and Blowing 20

Post by dtoots1 » Fri Jan 05, 2018 5:02 pm

was a wonderen just how you folks were making out..pun intended..a way to keep warm.......you must be Innuit to be having them thar weathers!!

i thought twas cold here at minus 4 last nite when i came home at 10....it warmed up to minus 3 when i got up at 8. snows not bad just 3 in here but that wind sure snot nice...

supposed to get up to 44 mon or tues....will see if can get dozer out to finish next door neighbors land clean up this weekend maybe..
by the way...that being cold and then feeling warmer is signs of that hypothermia, so watch it....

I work on basis that we will get a bit warmer weather in a few days and then get er done...it sure aint going anywhere and will wait for you.

keep warm!!

CuttingEdge
2010 crawler
2010 crawler

Post by CuttingEdge » Sat Jan 06, 2018 10:07 am

We had strange weather for sure.

During the morning, on the back side of the storm, it was still 15 degrees so I fired up the dozer and hoped to get my roads busted open before the temperature dropped and the winds swept in. That did not really happen and I got caught in part of it.

The sad part was, I thought as windy as it was that I was experiencing the worst winds we had. Not so. Overnight the winds kicked up from 30 mph to 50 mph so now my roads are drifted in. How bad I am not sure, but at least only the parts that get the wind will be drifted in so all is not lost.

I found keeping our hay bales atop of the hill really helps their longevity because the wind drys the bales of rain/snow. Last year there was no snow on them at all, but this year, they are completely buried in snow. I still must keep the road opened for logging trucks, but I had the presence of mind to grab some bales so I can feed up my sheep for the next few days without worry about drift-busting first.

I thought winter 2017 was bad and that winter 2018 could not possibly be any worse, but it seems as if I was wrong. :-(
I have no intention of traveling to my grave in a well manicured body; instead I am going to slide into heaven with a big power turn, totally wore out with busted knuckles, jump off my dozer loudly yelling, Woo Hoo, another Shepard has just arrived!

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:08 am

I'll take the snow, already have the cold. West of me a ways was the coldest in the nation a couple week ago, -44F. We only got to -29 or so.
There are heat tubes that you can get for the crawlers. You put on a pusher fan, and a canvas tube goes from the radiator back towards the dash and blows warm air on you. Heat Houser still makes them I think.
Lavoy
Parts and restoration for antique and late model John Deere crawlers.
Owner and moderator www.jdcrawlers.com

CuttingEdge
2010 crawler
2010 crawler

Post by CuttingEdge » Tue Jan 09, 2018 4:32 am

They said Saturday, at the top of Mount Washington, it tied for the second coldest place on earth.

The temperature was -38 below zero, but with the wind chill, with sustained wind of 84 mph, and gusts hitting 115 mph; it was -100 below zero. At those temperatures the weather instruments freeze, so the weather observers have to venture out into the cold, frost bite occurring in 30 seconds to any exposed skin.

That is silly-cold.