Tricksters are out there...

Discuss non-crawler related issues here (keep it sane, please)
amos
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Tricksters are out there...

Post by amos » Sat Jan 06, 2018 8:21 pm

Wife and I just did a 470 mile round trip today to look at a Yanmar 2210 diesel tractor. Good little tractors if you can find one.Over last couple of years I bought and fixed 6 and sold 4 while keeping 2. On today's tractor I asked all the pertinent questions about blow-by,fluid cross contamination,clutch,etc. Man said all was good and it was a great tractor so off we went,money in pocket and dragging the trailer.
Here we go:
Clutch adjusted to the point it wouldn't release. bad clutch.
Go it into neutral and it busted right off but had extreme head and low end noise:will get to that in a minute.
While running I removed radiator cap and there were the bubbles and foam along with oil film:cracked head,warped head,bad head gasket or combination there of.
On this Yanmar series the oil fill is also the dipstick cap and screws in place. Was on so tight I had to grab a wrench from my truck to loosen and blowby into low end was beyond bad.Oil smelled of diesel as well.
Killed unit and did idiot light check and lo and behold low oil pressure light "non-functioning".
Back to the low end and head noise: old disgusting trick on low compression diesels is too add about a cup of gasoline per gallon of diesel. Completely worn out engines will run with this mix(for a VERY short time) but will sound like they are fixin to explode.Stick your nose in the tank fill and you can get a whiff of gasoline. Trust your nose as I do.
As I was pointing all of this out to the seller/trickster(I'm being as tactful as I can} he was playing dumb and saying he had no idea what I was talking about.
I was born in 1961 and not yesterday...
People like that are out there and it seems to be getting worse. Word to the wise: listen to the seller just as a courtesy but know how to check for the obvious trickster slight of hand.
Came back without the tractor but wife and I did stop at a flea market on way back. She got herself some new treasures and I picked up a new 6 piece Craftsman screwdriver set for 10 bucks. Had a nice mexican dinner when we got back to so day wasn't bad at all.
Amos
Pushin hard or diggin deep life is good.
What's ahead is what matters. What's behind is already done.
A fool of a man is he who doesn't ask questions...
God gave us 2 ears and 1 mouth for a reason...

townlineterry
440 crawler
440 crawler

Re: Tricksters are out there...

Post by townlineterry » Sun Jan 07, 2018 6:10 am

My personal favorite was a 2010 tractor with loader and backhoe I looked at several years ago. First of all it had a flat tire. The ground underneath it was covered with oil and grease. Don't think there was a seal that was not leaking. Outriggers were chained up and one of the tilt cylinders on the front bucket was snapped off. It was "ready to work and a steal at $6,000." Oh yes the battery was dead so I couldn't hear it run but rest assured, "it fires right up and doesn't smoke, a strong runner."

The guy could not believe I passed on it. First thing I asked the wife when I got home was "do I look simple." Because one of us was an idiot.

Terry

amos
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by amos » Sun Jan 07, 2018 7:08 am

Morning Terry,
And the infamous "someone stole the starter but she runs like a dream..."Every now and again I take off my hat and look to see if "I'm Stupid" is printed on the front of it.
Wife is an immigrant and the world view of America is that the streets are paved with gold and Americans are the best and most honest people on the planet.After she settled in she saw all I do is work: either at my factory,the farm,around the house, or fixin and selling "stuff" as a stress relieving hobby (I really do enjoy taking old equipment and bringing it back to life and either selling it or putting it back to work for a little coin).
Then she saw and experienced the bigotry (never in my presence), people who flat out lie,and other assorted BS. Had to explain to her that America has millions of good people but we also have not so good people,we work hard to get ahead or just survive and it costs a lot to live well:just like every place else.The difference is we have the freedom to chase our dreams and our government isn't terribly corrupt.
Amos

amos
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by amos » Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:54 am

Went back to craigslist and the trickster has pulled his ad. Looks like he does have a basic understanding of Karma.... :twisted:

scampr
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by scampr » Sun Jan 07, 2018 11:48 am

The sad part is the people that fall for a pile of junk in good faith. There is a add on CL locally for a old Chevy truck thats been on
for months for extremely foollish money.. i just feel bad if someone falls for it.
scampr 440icd, 350B, 47 Farmall H, 55 Farmall cub and ashamed to have a Kabota too

townlineterry
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by townlineterry » Sun Jan 07, 2018 12:00 pm

Maybe he found some fool to buy it, seems like if you wait long enough one turns up. The starter comment reminds me of one of the neighbors that fell for that. He bought a Int 500C dozer, which proves he was not to bright to begin with. He drove out to Michigan to by it about a 600 mile round trip. Seller told him the only thing wrong was a bad starter. Instead of saying then why didn't you put one in he paid for it, winched it on the trailer and headed home. Puts a new starter in and finds out the engine is seized. Almost as if the seller was dishonest.

After pricing a rebuilt engine he had enough sense to cut his losses and sell it for what ever he could get. Or, maybe his wife told him to do it, he still buys stuff unseen of the internet. If I see Yammar tractor out at his house I'll let you know.

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:19 am

My son and I went to look at a 69 chevy 3/4 ton pickup a couple hours away a week ago. 18 below and we're going to look at pickups, yeah, I know. :)
Anyway, asked the guy several times if it had any rust. Got there and the cross stringers in the box are rusted through, both door seal channels you can see the ground, spray foam everywhere, driver's door rusted out. Evidently didn't enunciate RUST clearly enough.
Lavoy
Parts and restoration for antique and late model John Deere crawlers.
Owner and moderator www.jdcrawlers.com

amos
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by amos » Tue Jan 09, 2018 6:54 am

Morning Lavoy,
Sometimes I also wonder if the other person I'm asking questions has a good understanding of spoken English (or spoken Texan in my case).
I'm just the opposite: when i sell a completed project I'll go over everything I repaired and also go over what I think will need attention in the future.
Only dis-satisfied buyer was the 1 who bought a Jeep I had with a bad frame(rust). Told him it had a bad frame,showed him it had a bad frame,offered to sell him a rust free California frame I had for the Jeep so he could replace the frame, and he was mad when it wouldn't pass inspection because of the bad frame and he only made $500.00 profit when he sold it. Let me say that again: he made $500.00 PROFIT over what he paid me for it and was still mad.
I doubt I'll ever understand people...
Amos