1010 steering clutches

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
MarteV
40C crawler
40C crawler

1010 steering clutches

Post by MarteV » Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:02 pm

Have a couple questions regarding 1010 clutches.

To start, have a 1010 that I have pretty much gone through from top to bottom(with some of the work done by others).
Once I had machine stripped down I took it to a fellow to have clutches replaced along with a few other things that I wasn`t comfortable doing myself.
Replaced fibre and steels, pressure plates and bearings on both sides.
Was about a year after that before machine was finished and ready to use. After about 8hrs, I lost drive on the right side.
Machine went back to where it was worked on and after disassembly, we found all the fibre plates were broken.
Wondering what would cause this? Done lots of motorcycle clutches and while they are wet and much smaller, I have only ever had one with a broken plate.
I can understand that after one broke, misaligned pack causing others to break but seems strange.
Understanding that anything can happen with parts - Is there anything installation wise that would cause this? This side never seemed to be just right for the amount of time I used it.(did do a adjustment after a couple hours of break in and that side seemed to be near end of adjustment)
What would be a reasonable amount of time to change clutches on one side after being done before and only 8hrs of use(no seized bolts, clean, fresh machine)?
I've received a bill that I feel is too big, all things considered.
Any input appreciated

dtoots1
350 crawler
350 crawler

Re: 1010 steering clutches

Post by dtoots1 » Sun Jan 14, 2018 1:27 pm

inferior fibres plates....need to get them from Lavoy...see other posts regarding this issue

MarteV
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by MarteV » Sun Jan 14, 2018 1:39 pm

Can see that. First set came from A&I. This time used O.E. deere plates.
Can 1 side of steering clutches be done in a day?
If there were bad parts - I'd get them. lol

dtoots1
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by dtoots1 » Sun Jan 14, 2018 2:08 pm

Yes they can be...but tis a bit of job....track needs to come off, rops, sprocket etc....probably seat....and need parts to put back together...are really heavy to work with.....do you have book to work with?, as that is a big help.

one other thing..if you don't have your location info in your login info, add it!, it helps if someone is nearby and can offer a bit of close help.

MarteV
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by MarteV » Sun Jan 14, 2018 2:28 pm

Machine is done, right strg. clutch replaced again after 8 hrs. Have manuals and while I understand its a pretty big job, he had the drive out in about 4hrs(can get it without removing seat and fender and track pins were new and it was apart not long ago).
I understand there are a lot of variables but I got a bill that I'm having a hard time with since I only got 8hrs of use after paying for this job from the same person earlier.
Bill is what I feel considerably more than when it was done the first time with steels and a pressure plate also. Thinking labour is excessive.
Maybe I'm wrong.

dtoots1
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by dtoots1 » Sun Jan 14, 2018 3:01 pm

If he was reasonable, he should at least get refund on the fibres...from supplier for the junk! Some of these outfits are known for having that kind of junk out there. I can't speak for cost of labor as i did my own work in replacing steering clutch/brake, but i made sure i got my parts from Lavoy as read about the junk out there. If i recall steel, fibres, t/o bearing , tube and new brake band cost me $650, for 1 side., just to give idea on parts.

MarteV
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by MarteV » Sun Jan 14, 2018 5:16 pm

Kinda what I was thinking. Yes, the deere discs are more - I know I'm on the hook for difference(thinking there would be some sort of parts credit) and was hoping supplier would give him some hrs. and if not at least some kinda of break/split on labour at his end.
Was thinking he would see his supplier for some of this.
Parts prices are in line except for no credit on bad ones. Labour seems to be the killer.

gregjo1948
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by gregjo1948 » Mon Jan 15, 2018 5:15 am

I've done one side of a 1010 in 4.25 hours. That is without a rops. I think 8 hours on a machine that had recently been apart, is far to much labor time.
I was 65 years old at the time and I only have a hobby shop and tools. I think if I were you, I'd be after your mechanic for a large bill reduction.
gregjo1948
JD 350B diesel 6way blade, Case 580B Loader/backhoe, Farmall 504 high crop w/ flail boom mower, International 404 , International 284 diesel w/belly mower, 1972 Ford F600 dump truck, Galion 3-5 roller, Allis Chalmers D17, 1620 Ford

MarteV
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by MarteV » Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:27 am

I've got to get my bill broke down. Has labor cost but doesn't show hrs worked or door rate And isn't broke down into 2 jobs(I had a little work done on skid plate and had it put on).
I'll know more after that

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:03 am

Unless you paid $300/each (per fiber disc) you did not get "Deere" discs. They may have come from a Deere dealer, but definitely not OEM Deere, current price is $300.55 each, sub number AT314772.
There are some garbage discs out there, a big seller on Ebay is putting lots of them out there because he is "cheaper", and he is selling the same discs to all his dealers who are then selling an inferior product as well.
I have preached at length about these various discs for years, I just can't understand why they are still out there.
Lavoy
Parts and restoration for antique and late model John Deere crawlers.
Owner and moderator www.jdcrawlers.com

MarteV
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by MarteV » Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:29 pm

I've got to check on exact part # from him.
What we found during this(what I was told - sorry long).
We thought better than using same discs again. Thought to try deere. He ordered disc# which he thought meant package of 8 fibres. When it arrived it was 1 disc not 8 which was expected.
He called dealer to see what was up and they started a case on this(?)
Came back with answer that part # was supposed to be for a pack of 8 fibres. They (deere) checked a warehouse - wanna say texas but not sure.
Apparently packages were opened and there wasn't a full set in stock. Then deere called a dealer that showed part # in stock and he verified that is was a package of 8 fibres.
Then we were on backorder for the part # ordered and it took 2-3 weeks to get. When it showed it was a package of 8 fibres.
I/ him were billed $439 for package of 8 from deere.
You've got me very interested and I'll get part# from him as my invoice just lists 8 discs at $54.88 ea CDN.
As a previous parts manager(at car dealership) - I wasn't surprised by any of this. Things like this happened all the time.
Back to original point of post - he seemed surprised at the amount of my tab also and wanted to check on things to get adjusted. I think things will work out fine.
I guess always ask before assuming the worst. I'll know for sure in a little while

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:59 am

Deere has always had package quantities so to speak, but the part is still per piece. The price I quoted is for one disc, if you got 8 OEM Deere for that, they screwed up at the dealer, but good for you. Current A & I price for the fiber disc is a little less than $36/each, I can't check stock in Canada without entering it as an order, so can't tell you for sure they got them from A & I in Canada.
Lavoy

MarteV
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by MarteV » Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:33 am

According to him - dealer got deere(corporate) involved and they said it was supposed be package qty. and was mistake on their end. Would be interesting to order again and see if they are pkg qty. Not like a manufacturer to admit they were wrong on something like this. lol
This all took place thru Dec. into Jan.
My first set came from A&I and thinking we went that way then because of price but not 100% sure.
Definitely strange for sure

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:55 am

Yeah, I think the dealer is fibbing, if you look it up on JDPartsonline, it shows as an individual part. Parts book will show 8, but that is only because 8 are required. If you look up the exact same disc in the 420 book it will say 7, that means quantity required, not package quantity. When they enter the part number in an order screen at Deere dealer, then it will show package quantity, meaning that is how many come in a package, times the individual price.
I deal with this all the time, just got 3 part numbers in last week that were a given price, but I had to take 25 of them because package quantity from Deere was 25, but parts book showed I only needed one.
Lavoy

Stan Disbrow
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Stan Disbrow » Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:13 pm

Hi,

The last time I did my 420, back in 1988 or so, they came in two packages of 8. They were priced individually even then. At about $60 each, IIRC. I recall being annoyed at having to buy 16 when I needed 14.

Stan
There's No Such Thing As A Cheap Crawler!

Useta Have: '58 JD 420c 5-roller w/62 inside blade
Useta Have: '78 JD350C w/6310 outside blade
Useta Have: '68 JD350, '51 Terratrac GT-25
Have: 1950 M, 2005 x495, 2008 5103 (now known as 5045D)