Exhaust repair tip

Discuss non-crawler related issues here (keep it sane, please)
amos
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Exhaust repair tip

Post by amos » Wed Feb 28, 2018 7:30 am

Down to just piddlin with the JD 1050. Found a leak on the muffler assembly at a roll weld seam. Brazed it with flux coated brass and oxy'acetylene brazing/welding tip then painted muffler with high temp black caliper paint. Tool about 2 minutes and better repair than assorted exhaust fix goops. Saved a quick C note with repair versus replacement.
Same flux coated brass works well on cast iron and any non load carrying ferrous metal repair.Used it in the past on steel fuel lines,oil lines,hydraulic return lines etc.Nothing higher than a couple hundred PSI pressure.
New light switch from JD came in yesterday as did shift pattern decals. Install those and it's done.No more projects in the wings though: going to get bored soon as it's too dang wet to do anything outside :(
Amos
Pushin hard or diggin deep life is good.
What's ahead is what matters. What's behind is already done.
A fool of a man is he who doesn't ask questions...
God gave us 2 ears and 1 mouth for a reason...

B Town
350 crawler
350 crawler

Re: Exhaust repair tip

Post by B Town » Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:33 am

Yes, the flux covered brazing rods are extremely helpful. Back in the old days, I cut my teeth with brazing on sheet metal corn snouts. Lots of time repairing them. Dad would always repair if possible before considering replacing. Not a bad philosophy. I have tried to adopt this idea as well. Sometimes you are forced to repair b/c of lack of availability with new or even good used parts. Bruce

amos
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by amos » Wed Feb 28, 2018 6:13 pm

Hi B Town,
Ever tried it on a cracked block? Haven't had to deal with that but since it does adhere well to cast iron it seems like it would work well. I've done NiCad welding (rods are $$$$!) on some cast iron parts but never a block yet.
Amos

B Town
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by B Town » Wed Feb 28, 2018 6:52 pm

Good evening amos,
I have welded a couple cracked water jackets on 2 cyl heads and some cast manifold with good success. I have also used the nickel rod, I have had some cracking problems, I believe b/c it cooled too quickly, but may have been from induced hardening.

A good friend of mine, that earns a living as a diesel/truck mechanic, swears by his Miller 220 wire welder and repairing cast iron. He claims to use the same wire as welding all other repairs, meaning no special wire.

I would really like to learn to TIG braze with silica bronze.

Take care, Bruce

amos
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by amos » Thu Mar 01, 2018 7:41 am

Hi Bruce,
When welding with NiCad I was taught to pre-heat with a rosebud,do the weld with just enough heat to get some slight penetration,then heat again with a rosebud to relieve stress.
Some welders at a brewery I worked at years ago could TIG weld an aluminum beer can: that impressed the heck out of me.I can MIG down to 20 gauge metal(some days) but usually stick weld what I need done.
I own a factory that manufactures A/C coils and my brazers there are pretty good but they also braze a few hundred thousand braze joints(copper to copper or copper to brass) with a natural gas/oxygen twin tip torch a year.
My little factory in Podunk East Texas has a 99.9996% leak free rating: best in the industry. Kinda proud of that.
Amos