Moved dirt and not mud.

Discuss non-crawler related issues here (keep it sane, please)
amos
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Moved dirt and not mud.

Post by amos » Sat Mar 10, 2018 2:40 pm

Finally! got to play in the dirt. Used the JD 1050 tractor and a 1950's 2 bottom MB plow I re-built to turn over a garden patch at the factory.Little tractor(around 37HP) pulled the plow in 4th gear and plowed 10" deep in old clay based soil.First time I got to use the plow since I re-built it. Got all the bells and whistles: coulter wheels,depth control wheel,sweep extensions,angle adjust.Rolled the soil wonderfully.
Will let it stay turned till next week then start discing with the Yanmar I re-built.Couple weeks and it's plantin time for everything except peas and beans. Best to plant those in mid April.
Amos
Pushin hard or diggin deep life is good.
What's ahead is what matters. What's behind is already done.
A fool of a man is he who doesn't ask questions...
God gave us 2 ears and 1 mouth for a reason...

B Town
350 crawler
350 crawler

Re: Moved dirt and not mud.

Post by B Town » Sat Mar 10, 2018 7:15 pm

Hello Amos,
I'm glad to hear you are getting some dirt work done. It is amazing how a well maintained plow works! The components on a plow are some of the most neglected.
Still to wet and soil temps to low in western Iowa. Soon enough it will be time for cool weather crops. We like peas, spinach, radish, kohlrabi, etc. We usually plow in the fall and let the soil fallow over the winter. Just a light disking in the spring. In your area, is it more common to plow in the fall or spring?
Take care, Bruce

amos
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by amos » Sun Mar 11, 2018 8:20 am

B Town wrote:
Sat Mar 10, 2018 7:15 pm
Hello Amos,
I'm glad to hear you are getting some dirt work done. It is amazing how a well maintained plow works! The components on a plow are some of the most neglected.
Still to wet and soil temps to low in western Iowa. Soon enough it will be time for cool weather crops. We like peas, spinach, radish, kohlrabi, etc. We usually plow in the fall and let the soil fallow over the winter. Just a light disking in the spring. In your area, is it more common to plow in the fall or spring?
Take care, Bruce
Morning Bruce,
We never really get the hard freezes to kill turned roots so most tillage is done in late winter to early spring depending on how wet fields are:even on commercial farms.Commercial farms are your soybeans,corn,wheat,beef cattle,dairy,and cotton.Commercial chicken houses and now seeing mega pig farms. South Texas is citrus and vegetables but both are taking a hit due to labor shortage.Still a few truck farms for garden vegetables and farmers markets are popular as well as co-ops. On the co-ops you pay a monthly fee and then pay for assorted in season vegetables. One local farmer is making well over 100 grand a year doing that on 15 acres.
Last night phones blew up at 3AM again. Have weather alerts on them and severe storms with hail hit again. Still raining of course and have to go to farm later and check for damage as major cell hit in that area.Supposed to clear by tomorrow so might get my discing done friday.
Amos

amos
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by amos » Sun Mar 11, 2018 7:07 pm

made it to farm today and looks like there was a near mis tornado event. Drive up there were trees down and debris on road. Went by Lake o' the Pines dam and huge trees down. Got to farm(about another 1.5 miles) and saw more damage. Barns made it through OK (thanks to Jesus) and other than some dead trees down in woods the place was just wet.
Wife said one camper at lake died when a tree fell on him and here in Longview a tree fell on a mobile home and killed a person in it.
Amos