Hydroseeding

Discuss non-crawler related issues here (keep it sane, please)
townlineterry
440 crawler
440 crawler

Hydroseeding

Post by townlineterry » Sun Mar 25, 2018 7:07 am

Got another call from a customer wanting hydroseeding , thinking I should add that to my services. Are there small units that would fit in a 8 foot pickup? Any one built their own? This is something I know very little about and every manufacturer claims their unit will do everything including walking on water, I tend to be skeptical about those claims.

Terry

amos
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Re: Hydroseeding

Post by amos » Sun Mar 25, 2018 8:03 am

I've seen trailer mounted towable rigs but never P/U bed mounted. Most need a pretty big water tank(hydro) and water is surprisingly heavy.
Fairly significant capital investment so I would do a thorough market survey before making that commitment.
Amos
Pushin hard or diggin deep life is good.
What's ahead is what matters. What's behind is already done.
A fool of a man is he who doesn't ask questions...
God gave us 2 ears and 1 mouth for a reason...

townlineterry
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by townlineterry » Sun Mar 25, 2018 9:20 am

Not doing golf courses, just need a unit that will handle say 1 acre or less and road sides. Of course it is a capital investment, but when you losing out on jobs because it is a service you don't offer you have to think about making that investment.

amos
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by amos » Sun Mar 25, 2018 9:49 am

Hi Terry,
Check out vsinnovation.com. They do have P/U bed units:300,400,500 gallon size.Can't comment on the price as we don't hydromulch here in Texas:either seed and cover with hay or sod.Once established the grasses come back every spring so it's a once and done operation. Look to be decent units.Seed agitation in tank appears to be what is most important design aspect.
State of Texas does hydroseed wildflower seeds on ROW's with 5 ton sprayer trucks: all those flowers bloomin each spring along the roads is a sight to see.
Amos

amos
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by amos » Sun Mar 25, 2018 9:51 am

meant to say hydromulch or hydroseed. Sorry bout that.
Amos

townlineterry
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by townlineterry » Sun Mar 25, 2018 4:01 pm

Thanks Amos, that was a good lead, I had done a search and didn't come with any pick up models. Pricing is not bad 3 or 4 jobs would pay for it.
It is amazing how people will think they need things they really don't. The usual practice as long as I remember was hand sow the seed and mulch it with straw. Low tech but works well. The county I live in is very rural most is National Forest or owned by timber companies. 80% of the houses here are hunting camps or seasonal residences owned by people from Erie, Pittsburgh or Cleveland. They come here to get away from the city then they try to make it like where they came from. You get instant lawn in the suburbs you have to have it at camp. Same with security lights and paved streets.

Some times I think it is getting to civilized here for me. That must be why I like winter so much, after deer season the residents pretty much have the place to ourselves until May.

Okay, done ranting, if the punters want hydroseeding I'll give them hydroseeding. gonna pay for it out the wazoo.

amos
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by amos » Sun Mar 25, 2018 5:04 pm

No problem Terry: glad to help and hope you make some good coin.Today was tree planting day at the factory garden spot. Just 3 bradford pear trees and got to use the JD 410 TLB to dig the holes.Hard old industrial high clay "dirt" and hand digging not even an option. Also had to cage 36 tomato and pepper plants.
Been working on improving that spot for the last 10 years and it's not too terrible now.First year it was so bad a 2 bottom MB plow wouldn't even dig in to it.
Amos

jmarcarley
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by jmarcarley » Thu Mar 29, 2018 6:22 pm

I have done a lot of Hydroseeding on roadsides and pipelines. Doing an acre will require at least 1000 to 1500 gal tank. are you using straw or a hydro mulch for a cover?

jmarcarley
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by jmarcarley » Thu Mar 29, 2018 6:24 pm

I have seen a pull behind that has a 500 gal tank made by Finn

jmarcarley
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by jmarcarley » Thu Mar 29, 2018 6:36 pm

I have seen a pull behind that has a 1000 gal tank made by Finn model T120.

townlineterry
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by townlineterry » Fri Mar 30, 2018 4:33 pm

When I said an acre I meant a quarter acre. Road side I am talking about driveways or camp roads which are usually fairly short roads around here. When I said a couple jobs would pay for the equipement I am not saying the hydroseeding itself would pay for it but the larger job that I am losing out on because people want instant grass.

The unit I am looking at recommends paper mulch.