Jd 350 recommended oils

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
MikeRykowski
MC crawler
MC crawler

Jd 350 recommended oils

Post by MikeRykowski » Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:49 pm

Hello all,
I am looking to the experts for advice, I will start this post by saying I am an ignorant fool when it comes equipment such as the 350. My extensive mechanical experience stems from automobile service/repair. Any who, I recently purchased a 350 dozer and promptly began replacing the brake bands/steering clutches. On both finals. Now that I have completed those repairs I am attempting to complete a full round of maintenance. I am having some issue is determining what specific fluid Is recommend for the final drives, reverser, transmission, and engine (it’s a 2.5 diesel). Any info that you incredibly knowledgeable individuals can provide would be appreciated. Thanks in advance, Mike

amos
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Re: Jd 350 recommended oils

Post by amos » Fri Apr 13, 2018 5:10 am

On engine crankcase I use either straight 30wt in cold weather or 40wt in hot weather. I'm old and 15w-40 just looks "thin" to me.Hydraulics I use either JD Hyguard ($$$$) or regular 303 Hydraulic oil($$) had good results with both. Tranny is same(303 or Hyguard) as is reverser.Finals is where it gets odd: Some use recommended Hyguard or 303 but I'm more inclined to use 80/90wt gear oil on my 60's era 350B loader. On my late 80's 450G dozer I use the Hyguard oil in the finals etc.
2 JD backhoes I have are 303 Hydraulic oil throughout(except crankcase of course).
Grease I use is EP2 but marine grade EP2 holds up better when exposed to water. On grease schedule: grease is cheap. Pins,bushings,bearings aren't. I grease the entire machine(no matter what machine it is) at the start of every work day.Also do it again when i'm done and the machine will be idle for any extended length of time.Bought a Lincoln battery powered grease gun last year(finally) and love that sucker.Easy,easy to grease a machine and makes you want to do it.
On your machine you may or may not have funny looking obround looking things with a "C" shaped lip on your track group rollers. That is the port of a high pressure grease fitting. Takes a special fitting on the grease gun to inject the grease. Those you can get at Grainger,Mcmaster-Carr or your JD dealer.My 350B still has those and I rigged up a regular grease gun with the special high pressure fitting and it stays in the battery box on the machine.
General practice on greasing: clean the fitting,inject the grease,wipe off excess. If you don't clean the fitting first,any sand or grit on it will get pushed into bearing or bushing with new grease. Over time you'll end up with sand infused lapping compound and destroy the bearings or bushings.
Wiping away excess just keeps area clean and tidy.
Amos
Pushin hard or diggin deep life is good.
What's ahead is what matters. What's behind is already done.
A fool of a man is he who doesn't ask questions...
God gave us 2 ears and 1 mouth for a reason...

Stan Disbrow
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Stan Disbrow » Fri Apr 13, 2018 6:53 am

Hi,

No!! Incorrect! I hope that was a typo, saying High when you meant Low.

The rollers and idlers need a *low* pressure grease gun, not a high pressure one. And, normal guns are high pressure. When new, the crawlers came with the low pressure gun, hose and end. This is why they use the button head fitting. To prevent one from using the wrong gun. Or, prepare to lose your seals. Then, dirt will pile in and eat up the roller and idler bushings.

Here is an entire thread on the topic:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=10405

In short, you need an Alemite model 4015 gun and JD Corn Head grease from an agricultural JD dealer. Number Zero grease, not number Two.
There's No Such Thing As A Cheap Crawler!

Useta Have: '58 JD 420c 5-roller w/62 inside blade
Useta Have: '78 JD350C w/6310 outside blade
Useta Have: '68 JD350, '51 Terratrac GT-25
Have: 1950 M, 2005 x495, 2008 5103 (now known as 5045D)

MikeRykowski
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by MikeRykowski » Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:43 am

I cannot thank you guys enough for the replies! Your expertise is invaluable! It’s refreshing to know individuals like you are out there and willing help newbies like me! Thank you!

Stan Disbrow
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Stan Disbrow » Fri Apr 13, 2018 2:05 pm

Hi,

Well, we try. ;)

Here is another point which I don't recall being covered in that long thread about rollers, greases and guns.

On the track tensioner on each side, the manual says you can use a Normal gun. However, it is *very* repetitive regarding the gun not exceed 8000 PSI and to use a tee with a gauge to be sure your Normal gun isn't too high.

Stan

Mr. John
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by Mr. John » Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:11 pm

Hey guys, while we are on the topic, does anyone have a list of all the grease zerks on the 350 and 450 dozers?

Much appreciated

Cheers

Stan Disbrow
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Stan Disbrow » Fri Apr 13, 2018 6:16 pm

Hi,

There may not be roller zerks. Sometime in the 80s, they went to sealed rollers which don't get greased. But, if the rollers get greased, there are ten, five per side. And the idler. And the top roller, which a bolt needs to come out to get the end of the gun onto. That vents the top roller. All these need Corn Head grease and the low pressure gun.

There is a zerk at the back end of each track adjuster. You can use the low pressure gun or a higher pressure one as long as it is 8000 PSI or lower. Doesn't matter here just what grease is used. It just pushes the tensioner. If you need to loosen the track, there is a release bolt, but don't take it all the way out or you lose the infamous check ball.

Dozers have a zerk at the end of each cylinder. It varies by blade. The manual blades only have two up/down cylinders. PAT has more.

Loaders have at least four cylinders. Clamshells have at least two more.

I think I accounted for most of them without having a manual handy.

Stan

amos
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by amos » Sat Apr 14, 2018 4:04 am

Stan Disbrow wrote:
Fri Apr 13, 2018 6:16 pm
Hi,

There may not be roller zerks. Sometime in the 80s, they went to sealed rollers which don't get greased. But, if the rollers get greased, there are ten, five per side. And the idler. And the top roller, which a bolt needs to come out to get the end of the gun onto. That vents the top roller. All these need Corn Head grease and the low pressure gun.

There is a zerk at the back end of each track adjuster. You can use the low pressure gun or a higher pressure one as long as it is 8000 PSI or lower. Doesn't matter here just what grease is used. It just pushes the tensioner. If you need to loosen the track, there is a release bolt, but don't take it all the way out or you lose the infamous check ball.

Dozers have a zerk at the end of each cylinder. It varies by blade. The manual blades only have two up/down cylinders. PAT has more.

Loaders have at least four cylinders. Clamshells have at least two more.

I think I accounted for most of them without having a manual handy.

Stan
Morning Stan,then there are all of those linkage grease points on the operating levers, pedals,etc,etc,etc that all of us tend to overlook.Those I try to remember to do at least annually.
Speaking of grease: was working on a project tractor the other day and opened a wheel hub to clean and repack and old grease had turned to dust. Never seen that before. Other side was just old grease.
Amos

amos
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by amos » Sat Apr 14, 2018 4:24 am

Low pressure vs high pressure grease guns: low pressure gun work well on new fittings but older equipment rarely has new fittings. Manual high pressure guns(lever type) are only as good as the operator. Yes, they can provide crazy high pressure,if you stand on the operating lever. Use common sense and they work just fine.
Types of grease: if you have a lube trailer or truck with you then you will probably have EP0,EP1,EP2 available in both standard and marine grade with you. If you are like most operators,you have your EP2 grease gun and a spare tube either on the machine or with your extra hydraulic oils etc.
On the track group the critical aspect is (if required and not sealed units) that the low speed rollers get lubed. EP0 or EP2? Not super critical as the "0" and "2" is viscosity. If I were operating in sub-zero temps then the EP0 makes some sense. But we don't see sub-zero temps in Texas very often and if we do then Hell hath done froze over.
Of all the machines I've repaired I've never had to do a low speed bearing or bushing replacement because EP2 instead of EP0 was used. Replaced loads of them that were never lubed though.
Amos

Stan Disbrow
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Stan Disbrow » Sat Apr 14, 2018 4:48 am

Hi,

Rollers have bushings with large surface area at each end and a reservoir in the center. It is very important that the lubricant be low viscosity. It needs to flow readily as soon as the roller begins moving. The original viscosity used was not a grease but a heavy oil. No one makes that kind of oil any longer as it was based on coal tar. The number 0 viscosity is a good substitute as it sits in place like a grease yet flows like an oil.

John Deere Track and Roller Lube is also no more, but their Corn Head is still available. It is really the best thing to use these days. Viscosity is not just about temperature, it is about application as well. The Corn Head on a combine is calling for No 0 for the application and not the temperature. The engineers called out a No 0 lube for rollers when these machines were new in the 1960s and 70s, so I am going to keep on using it.

Same with the gun. You need to feel when the roller is full and that is easy with the low pressure gun. It is too easy to go too far with a regular gun and blow out the seal. Which, is why they used the button head fitting and supplied the low pressure gun with the machine.

Stan

dtoots1
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by dtoots1 » Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:49 am

Also note.....the corn head type grease is available at tractor supply....in quart bottles, i have an old 1 inch cartridge grease gun about 6 inches long and just refill the old cartridge out of the bottle tis messy but at least i can use it on my old jd440ic....Lavoy has the button head fitting for the guns, but i got mine local. my local tsc does not stock them with the grease you hafto look look around and find them...only stock 1 or 2 bottles at a time so i pu when i see them...think is called spindle grease

Mr. John
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by Mr. John » Sat May 05, 2018 2:35 pm

Hey guys, was looking for the grease zerks on the top roller and don’t think I have one. Do all 450’s have them? Mine is a 450D. Likewise, didn’t see one on the front idler either.

Stan Disbrow
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Stan Disbrow » Sat May 05, 2018 2:40 pm

Hi,

At some point, right around the 450D timeframe, they went to rollers and idlers which are fully sealed and have (I think) 30 wt oil in them. So, no Zerk fittings. And, that is how one tells which style they have. My 78 350C has Zerks on all but the rear rollers on each side. So, I know those were replaced by the lack of Zerk fittings.

Stan

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Sun May 06, 2018 10:38 am

Upper idler and front idler would have zerks. Check and see if someone just put a plug in them, seen that before.
Lavoy
Parts and restoration for antique and late model John Deere crawlers.
Owner and moderator www.jdcrawlers.com

tuney443
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by tuney443 » Mon May 28, 2018 10:36 am

Sort of off topic but someone up my way (CL in Hudson Valley,ny) has new JD rollers for 450's for $150 each.Has 10 of them.
Found the skull to the mastodon in Hyde Park, youngest one ever found so far in the world in 2000.

JD35D midi exc.
JD410G TLB
JD450D Dozer
2 JD 440 track loaders
JD 420 track loader
JD 450C track loader