House Separation 350 will not move

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
Dominick
MC crawler
MC crawler

House Separation 350 will not move

Post by Dominick » Tue May 29, 2018 3:00 pm

I recently purchased my first bulldozer. A JD 350 (straight). Motors runs like a top, the 6 way blade is extremely responsive almost like todays dozer's. the electrical system was non-existent. A new alternator and wiring I have lights and it starts with ease. The previous owner had replaced the reverser so my attitude towards this beautiful machine was extremely optimistic. I have put about 20 hours on it since purchasing a month ago.
Thursday I was cleaning up around the property and reverse started to act up. I was not abusing the machine by any means but it was a hot day and I had run it for a few hours continuously and it is 50 years old. I made my final trip up the hill and i was hearing a clunk. Thinking i was loosing a track i stopped to clean the tracks. Didn't find anything particularly troublesome so i continue. For about 10 feet! and nothing!! No gears at all. I put the blade down to lift myself out of the mud and thats when felt pressure on the floor cover plates. I removed the plates only to find the house seperated about 3?8" on the top of between the transmission and clutch housing. 1 bolt sheered and the stripped out bottom left loose and bottom right still tight. I was able to pull the machine back together by tapping the stripped bolt hole but still have nothing. How much damage did I potentially do and where should I start with my troubleshooting. Did I mention it;s as far from the garage as I can get and in mud 6-8" deep. Perfect!

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: House Separation 350 will not move

Post by Lavoy » Tue May 29, 2018 3:32 pm

It's possible you stripped the coupling between the reverser and transmission. Unfortunately, no way to repair other than splitting at the trans. With the crawler idling and the reverser in forward, or reverse, if you carefully move the trans shifter like you are trying to put it in gear, do you feel the gears turning in the trans? If not, coupling at least.
Lavoy
Parts and restoration for antique and late model John Deere crawlers.
Owner and moderator www.jdcrawlers.com

Dominick
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by Dominick » Tue May 29, 2018 3:44 pm

I feel and hear a hum as if its trying.

NWJD fan
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by NWJD fan » Tue May 29, 2018 6:27 pm

Almost certainly the splined coupler as Lavoy suggested. I had to fly in to a bush camp a number of years ago to repair this exact scenario. Loose attachment hardware between transmission and reverser allowing flexing at the joint between the 2. Remove engine, remove reverser, repair stripped attachment hardware and install new coupler providing transmission or reverser shafts have not stripped the splines out.

Dominick
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by Dominick » Wed May 30, 2018 10:39 am

Thank you both very much. we are jacking it out of the mud and constructing a platform. will begin to disassembled tomorrow. i'm sure ill have more questions then.
"if it wasn't for bad luck, I'd have NO luck atball" :)

Stan Disbrow
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Stan Disbrow » Wed May 30, 2018 10:59 am

Hi,

Ah. Welcome to our little world here. Initiation by fire, it appears. Not starting out simple in any case.....

Stan
There's No Such Thing As A Cheap Crawler!

Useta Have: '58 JD 420c 5-roller w/62 inside blade
Useta Have: '78 JD350C w/6310 outside blade
Useta Have: '68 JD350, '51 Terratrac GT-25
Have: 1950 M, 2005 x495, 2008 5103 (now known as 5045D)

Dominick
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by Dominick » Sat Jun 02, 2018 5:52 am

Intiation by fire, would be correct👍. Im waiting on my service and parts manual to arrive before i jump into it. That should be here today. Im sure my question will be abundant on monday. Thanks for the reply.

dtoots1
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by dtoots1 » Sat Jun 02, 2018 11:21 am

so where are you located?....it helps others to know and you can show in your profile your location....profile is found in login click