I got the power...

Discuss non-crawler related issues here (keep it sane, please)
amos
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

I got the power...

Post by amos » Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:42 am

Working on a JD non crawler. Changing fuel lift pump and watch band touched battery feed to and starter solenoid:Ya'll know what happened next.Arcing and sparking,starter engaged and my watch band got a tad bit warm.Fried my watch and nice little weld from watch band to battery lead on starter.$15.00 Timex took the licking and ticks no more.....
I knew better and should have disconnected the positive battery lead bit didn't.Now I get to trace the wiring and figure out why start button stopped working(hidden fuse somewhere:I hope).
Now I do have an excuse: crazy hot here in Texas and heat stress is always a concern. First symptom is degraded thought process and compromised problem solving. At least that's my story and I'm sticking to it :)
Pushin hard or diggin deep life is good.
What's ahead is what matters. What's behind is already done.
A fool of a man is he who doesn't ask questions...
God gave us 2 ears and 1 mouth for a reason...

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: I got the power...

Post by Lavoy » Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:28 am

Instructor in college did the same thing on his Mustang, but between the starter lug and ground, burned a really big hole in his wrist, but the watch survived.
Lavoy
Parts and restoration for antique and late model John Deere crawlers.
Owner and moderator www.jdcrawlers.com

CuttingEdge
2010 crawler
2010 crawler

Post by CuttingEdge » Sat Jun 09, 2018 4:01 am

I heard of it happening with wedding bands too. When I worked for the railroad we were not allowed to wear them for this reason, and it was enforced.

Me? I still wear my wedding band, or at least did until last week. I was swapping out the bucket on my backhoe and pounding pins and the shock broke my wedding band and it literally fell off my finger...darndest thing I ever saw. (It was a tungsten-carbide type wedding band). I might be inclined to think that such an event is a bad omen for one's marriage, but Katie and I are pretty close.

I got to get another wedding band now though...without a symbol of being taken, I am beeseeched with women who want me thinking I am available! (I am pretty sure everyone knows that last sentence is 100% bovine pasture droppings!) :-)
I have no intention of traveling to my grave in a well manicured body; instead I am going to slide into heaven with a big power turn, totally wore out with busted knuckles, jump off my dozer loudly yelling, Woo Hoo, another Shepard has just arrived!

Stan Disbrow
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Stan Disbrow » Sat Jun 09, 2018 6:09 am

Hi,

No watches, no rings, no chains, no long-sleeves, safety glasses, long pants and steel toe boots. Oh, and also no neckties!

Lucky that the watch didn't fry your hand right off. I have seen that happen with batteries and watches. The good news in that case was the hand fried off before the battery erupted in flames and boiling acid in the guy's face. So it could have been worse....No eyes and maybe no lungs left. Just a full-thickness 4th degree burn and loss of a left hand for a right-handed person.

Stan

I shall stop there with 20 years of rescue squad stories. For now, anyway.....
There's No Such Thing As A Cheap Crawler!

Useta Have: '58 JD 420c 5-roller w/62 inside blade
Useta Have: '78 JD350C w/6310 outside blade
Useta Have: '68 JD350, '51 Terratrac GT-25
Have: 1950 M, 2005 x495, 2008 5103 (now known as 5045D)

psprague
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by psprague » Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:56 am

My wife gets mad because I don't wear my ring while working. Then I show her a picture of ol' 9 fingered Clyde...

You should make a commercial, you managed to kill a Timex, thats got to be something.... :)
JD 450c forestry, JD 440A cable skidder

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:31 am

I haven't worn a ring for any length of time in 29 years shortly. What I did get though is a few of the new silicone rings (I lose them quickly). Still can wear a ring, zero chance of conductivity, they break if you hook them on something.
Lavoy
Parts and restoration for antique and late model John Deere crawlers.
Owner and moderator www.jdcrawlers.com

Stan Disbrow
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Stan Disbrow » Tue Jun 19, 2018 11:19 am

Hi,

A Safety Ring! I like it! :)

Stan
There's No Such Thing As A Cheap Crawler!

Useta Have: '58 JD 420c 5-roller w/62 inside blade
Useta Have: '78 JD350C w/6310 outside blade
Useta Have: '68 JD350, '51 Terratrac GT-25
Have: 1950 M, 2005 x495, 2008 5103 (now known as 5045D)

psprague
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by psprague » Tue Jun 19, 2018 11:33 am

Amazon says silicone rings are quite the thing.

I never knew they existed and now I want one. I gotta quit coming here.
JD 450c forestry, JD 440A cable skidder

CuttingEdge
2010 crawler
2010 crawler

Post by CuttingEdge » Fri Jun 29, 2018 2:07 pm

One thing is for sure, a wedding band is cheaper than a new wife, and a silicone safety wedding band is cheaper than a finger.

Pretty simple math there, but I am a slow learner...been down the aisle a few times toting a woman in white, and a few times to court as well. Both places are expensive.
I have no intention of traveling to my grave in a well manicured body; instead I am going to slide into heaven with a big power turn, totally wore out with busted knuckles, jump off my dozer loudly yelling, Woo Hoo, another Shepard has just arrived!