Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
oljoe
430 crawler
430 crawler

Re: reverser oil flow question

Post by oljoe » Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:12 am

Jds wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:14 am
Well there's definitely air entering somwhere, where is the pump mounted on your machine?
Jds,
The pump mounts on the front transmission cover and oil is supplied from a cast passage in the cover. There is a 1” hole in the lower front part of the case that supplies oil to the front cover. Inside of the case is a “tin” filter screen housing with a 1” tube that joins with the hole in the front of the case. The filter housing and case hole are below the oil level and the pump is above the oil level. All of this has been removed, cleaned and inspected for cracks or damage.
Stan Disbrow wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:29 am
Hi,

Are you sure about your oil? This is looking like it might be that generic '303'. Or, even R&O hydraulic oil. Something without proper anti-foaming agents. The pump itself can cause this without an air leak if there isn't a proper anti-foaming additive....

Stan
Hi Stan,
I’m not sure what oil is in there now. When the oil was leaking between the case and front cover I put about 30 or 40 gallons of that “303” oil through it. While trying to diagnose this new problem I drained the “303” oil and put in Chevron oil that oil was suggested by a JD tractor mechanic. I saved the “303” oil to burn brush piles and have drained and reused the Chevron oil a couple of times. I know that’s not a good practice, but it had only been run a short time. The short of it is I don’t know which oil I put in there this time.
Straight 450 loader

Stan Disbrow
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Stan Disbrow » Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:42 am

Hi,

Sounds like your oil is OK. I just had this sudden thought that you had an oil in there which likes to foam up, and shooting an air leak that doesn't really exist. Name brand stuff is good. And, using the same oil while troubleshooting is fine as long as you take some pains to keep it clean as you go. Once you get it fixed, you can either filter it or go for new again.

Stan
There's No Such Thing As A Cheap Crawler!

Useta Have: '58 JD 420c 5-roller w/62 inside blade
Useta Have: '78 JD350C w/6310 outside blade
Useta Have: '68 JD350, '51 Terratrac GT-25
Have: 1950 M, 2005 x495, 2008 5103 (now known as 5045D)

Jds
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by Jds » Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:51 am

Since the pump is above the oil level there's a possibility of air being sucked in around the input shaft. As far as oil goes I always use traveller universal tractor trans/hydraulic fluid from tractor supply, it meets j20c spec and has never given me a problem.

oljoe
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by oljoe » Fri Feb 15, 2019 1:15 pm

Well I haven’t pushed this thing off in the ditch yet. I did however decide to fill the transmission case to the top with oil to eliminate any internal air being sucked into the pump. I started the engine and the same symptoms showed up.

Even though I’ve replaced the input seal once I think Jds may be right and I’m sucking air around the input shaft. The next step is to order the bushings, seal and sleeve and wait for the snow to stop so I can pull the motor and clutch housing AGAIN. Thanks for all the input. I’ll let you know how it goes.
Straight 450 loader

dtoots1
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by dtoots1 » Fri Feb 15, 2019 1:33 pm

just a thought on the pickup tube....i had problem with my kerosene heater...had copper pick up tube and problem was it would not pick up the kerosene so had to dismantle it and look closely....ahaa...a bit of green there and clean up and found pin hole corrosion....changed tube and critter works fine..50 year old machine and simple to fix!!!!! keep on