1010c Ultimate Value?

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
BLTPRUF
MC crawler
MC crawler

1010c Ultimate Value?

Post by BLTPRUF » Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:24 am

Hello friends. I need to know when to STOP. I purchased a 1010 crawler with gas engine for $4,000. Spent $2,100 at my local tractor repair shop getting gas tank blown out, track adjustments, hydraulic hoses, etc. Could not ever get any sustainable power. Took it to my "normal" mechanic. He took it apart, found water in 2 cylinders, cracked sleeve, bent push rods, etc.. Looks like another $4,100 cost in parts only, plus maybe $1,500 for rebuild labor.

So to summarize, I've got around $6,600 in this tractor right now and the engine is in pieces. It's going to cost another $5,600 to get it up and running. Is this tractor ever worth $12,000? I've made an inquiry about the scrap value of this tractor. I've not heard back from them but I'm guessing in the $250 - $300 range.

I'm looking for some guidance in making a smart decision here... Please help.

B Town
350 crawler
350 crawler

Re: 1010c Ultimate Value?

Post by B Town » Thu Sep 13, 2018 1:10 pm

It is awful easy to spend more $$ than these crawlers are worth. I'm suspicious your crawler will not be close to a $12,000 value. Spending more $$ on it doesn't make since if it is an investment, flip project, show tractor etc... people with unlimited budgets may proceed with an upside down project, but by you asking I believe you are more responsible with your $$.

With that said, it may be worth the $$ to finish. Especially if you don't have other surprises. If you have a legitimate use for the machine, it could earn its keep. How much $$ would you have to spend to get a replacement machine with similar specs??? How much does it cost to rent a machine? How much would it cost to hire a company to custom finish your dirt projects. I suggest 20-30 $/hour , on the conservative side. If you use the machine 100 hours, at 20-30 per , that is $2-3,000. Now you have an idea how long it will take to pay it's own way. Do you have a use for it or projects that add up to that coin. Convenience is another topic. How do you put a value on having a tool in hand like the 1010? Best regards, Bruce

BLTPRUF
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by BLTPRUF » Thu Sep 13, 2018 2:13 pm

Thanks for your input, Bruce. Yes, I have a use for it... I think. I have an avocado orchard, changing over from lemons, and there is hillside involved. Weed abatement by hand (with weed eaters) is expensive. I purposely designed my new tree layout to go up and down the hills so I can scrape and/or spray weeds mechanically.

The "I think" part of the answer above, is that the 1010c has not had enough power to actually push dirt. So I don't know if it is the ideal tractor for the job. The 6-way grading blade would make a lot of sense in my little farm operation.

I recently acquired an International 125e with a 4N1 bucket for $7,000. This machine is in perfectly maintained condition. It does the job but for several areas it is actually too big. It also has quite aggressive pads. Additionally, I have a Kubota B26-TLB with a backhoe and box scraper for finer work but it's underpowered on my slopes.

So yes, I believe I have a reasonable use for the 1010c... I think :?.

If I thought I could get $7,000 or $8,000 for it if it didn't turn out to be as useful as I need, I'd probably put the money in to get it running. I know I'd never get the $12,000+ I'd have in it... but right now I've got a $6,000 piece of iron worth, maybe, $300.

I wonder, as an alternative, if there's any sense in piecing it out for parts.

Thanks again for your help.

B Town
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by B Town » Thu Sep 13, 2018 3:08 pm

Your estimate for the engine work seems high to me. Maybe a regional thing? Have you looked for a good replacement engine? Parting out your unit is an option, but that takes a significant effort and time. One piece sells this month, another piece sells in 4 months. 2 years down the road you have a carcass that needs to be hauled off by the iron buyers. It is hard to compare machines, but I have heard of 1010’s selling in the 4,500-6,500 range(good useable machines). My personal opinion is to try and save the old iron, if within reason. Give others on the forum time to weigh in. Take care. Bruce

Stan Disbrow
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Stan Disbrow » Fri Sep 14, 2018 3:35 am

Hi,

Deere had a re-life program for the JD350C and D series. You would send the machine you had back to Dubuque where they stripped it down. Then, reuse what checked good and rebuilt the entire thing for you. Cost: $30,000.

So, that makes a good baseline for an entire rebuild. Why did they do this? Because there is still a demand for a small crawler, but not enough of one for them to go back into production. So, now ask yourself where do you buy an equivalent machine these days?

This leaves us rebuilding old iron. I recently bought a 350C after a 12 year search and paid $13k for a decent shape one. Then, paid another $1k to have it hauled. It is a keeper, of course, and well worth the price to me. And, I don't actually use one anywhere near as much as it sounds like you will. So, maybe this will help you decide what to do.

Oh, mine has the manual outside blade. I have seen a few 350D with PAT in decent shape go between $16k and $19k in the past couple years. So, what is hanging on the front matters as well. Also, the 350 series is a tad larger than the 1010 and the C and D variants sport wet steering clutches and all have reversers. So, they usually are worth a bit more. The earlier 350s go in the $8-10k range when in decent shape. And, the 350 is as close as one can come to the 1010 to get pricing ideas.

Stan
There's No Such Thing As A Cheap Crawler!

Useta Have: '58 JD 420c 5-roller w/62 inside blade
Useta Have: '78 JD350C w/6310 outside blade
Useta Have: '68 JD350, '51 Terratrac GT-25
Have: 1950 M, 2005 x495, 2008 5103 (now known as 5045D)

dtoots1
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by dtoots1 » Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:42 am

just to compare,

i have a jd440ic..gas job w/ 6way blade, paid $5k, so far, had to put $650 in steering brake and $370 in hyd cyls and $250 in hyd pump..and $50 n tuneup..not counting changing oils etc......so adds up quick...but she does the job!! she is only a 2 cylinder. once you get your 1010 running properly you will most likely enjoy it. keep in touch these guys will guide you thru any problems

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:52 am

IT doesn't matter what crawler you buy, it will need work. You are part of the way there on the 1010, so the question is whether to keep going, or buy another crawler that may need all of the work you have just done to yours and you get to start over.
As a general rule, if final value ever enters into your equation as to whether or not you should repair a crawler, you need a different hobby. If properly repaired or restored, virtually none of these crawlers will ever be remotely worth what has been put into them.
An engine with bent rods is not going to make power or run real well, so that is not really a fair test of what the crawler can do.
Parting it out is sketchy at best, anyone thinking it is easy, I have a parts business for sale.
If you have a use for it, what is the value of that usage? Is it making you a living, is it saving you hiring someone at $120/hour, those are the questions you need to answer. Used engines are around, that is the way I would go, and tear it down to check for any problems, new rings and bearings, and head work, all new gaskets. A dead crawler is a parts crawler, and are priced accordingly. A running crawler is much easier to sell, but in all honesty, I would say $6000 is at the top end of the range for what you have even if running. The 1010 Ag crawlers rarely pass $10,000 and they are the most desirable of the 1010 crawlers.
Lavoy
Parts and restoration for antique and late model John Deere crawlers.
Owner and moderator www.jdcrawlers.com

gregjo1948
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by gregjo1948 » Sat Sep 15, 2018 5:00 am

I'd say find a running 1010 that might have undercarriage problems or stuck steering clutches that you can buy $1000.00 -$3000.00. Install the donner engine and keep the rest of it for parts.
JD 350B diesel 6way blade, Case 580B Loader/backhoe, Farmall 504 high crop w/ flail boom mower, International 404 , International 284 diesel w/belly mower, 1972 Ford F600 dump truck, Galion 3-5 roller, Allis Chalmers D17, 1620 Ford