Hydraulic Oil and Trans Oil change

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
ngilles
420 crawler
420 crawler

Hydraulic Oil and Trans Oil change

Post by ngilles » Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:06 am

Hello,
I just purchased a 555A crawler loader. I'm new to crawlers and John Deere's. I believe my machine sat outside quite a bit. I see very milky white hydraulic fluid in my reservoir sight glass and want to drain the system.

In the specs sheet I found, it lists John Deere JD Hy-Gard Type J20C for both the transmission and hydraulic system.

Could you tell me are those both the same reservoir of fluid or does the transmission and hydraulic have independent fluid reservoirs?

What would be the best place (I'm assuming lowest point) to drain both of those from?

Thanks for your help, I've ordered a shop manual, not here yet and I've got time to get at it today.
Have a great weekend,
Nick
JD 555 "Triple Nickel" (straight 555) Trackloader
Lx565 New Holland Skid Loader
D14 Allis Chalmers 1959

Stan Disbrow
350 crawler
350 crawler

Re: Hydraulic Oil and Trans Oil change

Post by Stan Disbrow » Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:21 am

Hi,

These have separate hydraulics and trans. The hydraulic tank is on the right hand side. IIRC, the filler cap and sight glass is on the back side of the 550 and 555. The drain will be under the tank, and above the track.

The trans drain will be on the bottom of the trans case, towards the rear. The finals on the inside at the bottom of each. You drain the trans first, then each final. IIRC, it is all one reservoir, but you'll need a big catch pan for the trans. Not much room at the finals, so a smaller pan will do if the trans doesn't have to drain thru there as well.

Now, how you do any of those three with the counterweights in place, I don't know. I think they have to come off first.

Stan
There's No Such Thing As A Cheap Crawler!

Useta Have: '58 JD 420c 5-roller w/62 inside blade
Useta Have: '78 JD350C w/6310 outside blade
Useta Have: '68 JD350, '51 Terratrac GT-25
Have: 1950 M, 2005 x495, 2008 5103 (now known as 5045D)

ngilles
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by ngilles » Sun Sep 16, 2018 1:45 pm

Thanks Stan for the thoughts. My filler is under the right side cover. I open the lid on the right side (under the armrest just behind the bucket control lever) and under that cover there's the tank, return, filler, filter and loader valve body. The sight glass is on the right side (outside) of the reservoir tank. I don't see any kind of drain on the tank at all. If I lift off the seat, I can see a line that must be at least 1.5" in dia. coming out of the bottom of the tank and turning down along and under the trans area. I've not yet had the belly pan off, I'm guessing it goes down there to the hyd. pump, i'm guessing driven off the torque converter gear. I don't know if there's a drain down there.
D14 Allis Chalmers 1959

B Town
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by B Town » Sun Sep 16, 2018 2:10 pm

I believe the two systems are separate, also. The 1.5" hose/pipe you found should go all the way to the front of the engine, to the engine driven hydraulic pump. The drain for the hydraulic system is under the right box. Pipe thread plug under the box, above the track. Best regards, Bruce

Mikeforester
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by Mikeforester » Sun Sep 16, 2018 6:09 pm

Hello,

Standing at the back of the machine the hydraulic drain plug is located behind the trim panel on the right hand side. Remove the panel and there will be a pipe plug at the bottom of the hydraulic reservoir. Reservoirs are usually pressurized to keep out dust, so remove fill cap first to let out pressure. Transmission drain plug is under machine (1 1/8" or 1 1/4" socket to remove). Steering clutches have drain plugs as well (Allen heads).

Be prepared for about 20 gallons between the systems. Transmission and steering clutches share a common sump, but are drained and filled separately. Hydraulic is separate from drivetrain.

If the systems are contaminated with water I would warm the tractor up under no load and then drain them. Getting moisture contamination out can be a project. Let everything drain for a couple of days (be surprised at how much will come out). If I am dealing with contamination I usually disconnect as many components as possible and used compressed air to blow out residual oil. Clean all the suction screens as well. Just remember, everything still has water in them (torque converter, pistons, lines, .etc) and just changing the sump oils will quickly contaminate new oil. Don't be in a rush. Replace all filters and fill sumps with fresh oil. Run machine to warm everything thing up and repeat. I usually run some seafoam in the systems once they are clean to draw out light moisture afterwards.

Transmissions and hydraulic systems are several thousand dollars of parts and labor to fix or replace ( not to mention lost production with the machine). Take your time, oIl is cheap compared to parts.

jsal
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by jsal » Sun Sep 16, 2018 6:48 pm

to eliminate moisture I just used sea foam Hydra trans tune recommended by Lavoy worked for the trans on a 302 JD tractor used 2 qts to five gallons

JIM

ngilles
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by ngilles » Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:36 pm

Thanks for the replies guys! Mikeforester sounds like you've fought the moisture battle. Did you blow out lines going to the loader lift and dump cylinders too? There must be several gallons in those cylinders. I'll give it a try, thanks for all your advice!
Nick
D14 Allis Chalmers 1959

Mikeforester
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by Mikeforester » Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:38 pm

Yes, I've fought it on several machines over the years. It can be a challenge to clean up. There is always several gallons left in the system that cannot be removed by just draining the oil. That's why I take things apart and blow them out/drain them if possible.

We had a tractor at work that the hydraulic oil looked like pancake batter. Drained everything over the course of a couple of days and made a rig to connect air to the system to blow it out ( low pressure maybe 40-50psi, just enough to move stuff through the primary circuit). Changed the oil and filters on a short cycle and it's been 2 years and the oil is like new.

Take your time. Once it's cleaned up, I agree with using seafoam or similar to maintain the system. Along with a good tarp or garage/barn if possible!

ngilles
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by ngilles » Sat Sep 22, 2018 6:45 am

Hi Guys,
Had the chance to find the plug and drain the hydraulic reservoir on the 555 today. HOLY CRAP, I've never seen oil come out like that! I worked on a lot of wheeled tractors on the farm growing up. It looked like a thick chocolate malt that's half melted! Had an odd smell too. Anyway, got about 12-13 gal of that stuff out of the reservoir. I can see that big line coming out the bottom of the reservoir, taking a couple bends and then heading forward and want to get that drained too. I also read about the cooler on the bottom of the radiator and see a couple good sized lines to drain there as well.

I've not yet had the belly covers off yet. Was thinking then I could find the line's path and then and take it apart somewhere under the tractor and get that drained too. Any tips on taking off the belly pan the first time? Looks like lots more room going under from the front but I have the loader there.
Wishing I'd have set that up on something or at least tipped the bucket all the way down before draining the oil. in the rear, the hitch and weights hang down lower. Figured I may as well then do all my fluids while I have it tore apart on the bottom. Trans, Eng Oil, change coolant etc.

I also have a manual question. I received a TM-1111 manual with the dozer. I've now also purchased a CD copy of a manual supposedly for the dozer but contradicts the other. I was thinking I could download that manual to my phone to have it handy. The CD manual is a copy of a TM-1292. The CD manual says my hyd. pump should be engine driven from the front, under the oil cooler on the radiator. I looked, I can't see anything under the radiator. The TM-1111 manual says the hyd pump is under the tractor driven by a gear off the torque converter. Not yet having taken off the belly pan, I can't really see under there yet. My dozer's SN # is 372133T, I can't find a resource to tell me which is the right manual.

I sure appreciate you guys taking the time to respond to all my newbie question!
Have a great weekend, nice cool fall day here in Western WI! My kind of weather.
Nick
D14 Allis Chalmers 1959

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Jim B » Sat Sep 22, 2018 8:43 am

It looks like TM1111 is for a straight 555. TM 1292 is for a 555A. The letter T after the serial number designates JD Dubuque Works as manufacturer. It should be a straight 555 serial number looking at the parts catalog introduction. The letters and numbers ahead of the serial number should clear up which 555 model you have. It appears the straight 555's started "555 A" (note the space between the 555 and A) before the S/N, with the A designating loader in that case. The whole serial number tag appears to have been different on 555A's. The 555A's tags started "TO 555A" (no space). The A here was model of 555 not the loader designation. On line at the JD Parts you can look at the introduction pages in the two parts catalogs to see the difference in the S/N tags.

Using the whole S/N tag to confirm your model, you can check for the right manuals for your machine at http://www.johndeeretechinfo.com

Click construction equipment then scroll down to your model and click on it. That should pull up all the available manuals JD has for it.

ngilles
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by ngilles » Sat Sep 22, 2018 9:48 am

Hi Jim,
Thanks very much for the info! That clears things up for me. My whole stamped SN# tag reads, "555-A 372133T" It has an actual dash "-" after the 555 and then an "A". If I'm interpreting that correctly, based on your info, I must have a straight 555. Thats' it for #'s and letters.
I was mistaken, I thought by looking at that tag, I had a "555A".
I hope that's not a bad thing :)
Nick
D14 Allis Chalmers 1959

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Jim B » Sat Sep 22, 2018 11:35 am

Yes, you have a straight 555. That is info you will be glad to have looking for parts in the future. The only bad thing is you have a CD that is for a 555A not your machine. Some one will likely buy it if you decide to sell it.

After looking around some I brought the downloads of the manuals for my 450E from the JD site. Cost was a bit less than the CDs and much less than printed from them. If you haven't looked at their site, you should. Read carefully as depending on the list I've found other equipment using the same model numbers in the listings, in separate groupings. You can at least get the numbers for the right manuals you need, if you are going to shop around.