Weight of rear weight.

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
Cle Elum John
440 crawler
440 crawler

Weight of rear weight.

Post by Cle Elum John » Thu Sep 13, 2018 3:41 pm

Hi
I have a 450() with a rake (ripper?) and a couple of ballast plates on the back end. Does anyone know how much those plates weigh?

Thanks
John
Reporting from the Peoples Republic of Washington State.

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Re: Weight of rear weight.

Post by Jim B » Fri Sep 14, 2018 5:10 am

Good morning,
A couple questions. Are they actual parts with casting numbers to identify them or just plates? Are they the same? Sometimes there is a base plate then add-ons, which are not the same. Hopefully you have casting numbers and someone here can identify them and has the weights.

If I couldn't identify them as parts and get the weights that way; I would figure out the cubic inches (or feet) of each plate and estimate the weights. I've had to do that many times over the years doing industrial work with cranes and other lifting gear. Cast iron is figured at .260 lb/cubic inch or 442 lb/cubic foot. Steel is figured at .282lb/cubic inch or 490 lb/cubic foot. If you are planning to lift them and are in doubt about the material, use the steel weight and rig heavier.
Hope this helps,
Jim

Cle Elum John
440 crawler
440 crawler

Re: Weight of rear weight.

Post by Cle Elum John » Mon Sep 24, 2018 6:17 pm

Using higher math it comes out to about 200lbs each. Total of about 1000 lbs. Just looking it I though it would be a lot more.
Reporting from the Peoples Republic of Washington State.