Just wanted a new flip phone....

Discuss non-crawler related issues here (keep it sane, please)
amos
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Just wanted a new flip phone....

Post by amos » Fri May 11, 2018 6:08 pm

So,after one of the most stressful weeks of 2018 my pos flip phone bit the dust.All I want or need is your typical pos flip phone so off I go to find another replacement from wally world.THREE wally worlds actually and all tried to up sale me as flip phones are "soooo passay" and there are supposed to be 2, TWO, II on next weeks delivery truck.. I'm hard on my phone and a flip phone fits in my bib overall chest pocket well and a smart phone would last me a day till I would break the screen. All I want to do is make and receive telephone calls where 2 people actually talk.
Next stop is office and internet: amazon no help.Did find a local target with flip phones so off i go and after buying the phone,pre-paid cards,and a auto charger the fun began.
Wanted to keep my existing straighttalk number and new phone is ATT.3 freaking hours(2hours and 45 minutes on hold,15 minutes talking) to get my old number to new phone. :twisted: :evil: :(
Seems like life use to be so much easier.
Amos
Pushin hard or diggin deep life is good.
What's ahead is what matters. What's behind is already done.
A fool of a man is he who doesn't ask questions...
God gave us 2 ears and 1 mouth for a reason...

psprague
440 crawler
440 crawler

Re: Just wanted a new flip phone....

Post by psprague » Sat May 12, 2018 6:31 pm

Hi amos,

I, for one, think you shouldn't keep things so bottle up and really tell us what you think about it.

My daughter wanted a standalone music player. No such dinosaur anymore, everyone has a player on a smart device synchronized with a micro-monetized cloud-based streaming service.

My grandmother, when she was using her new rotary dialed phone mounted on the kitchen wall, still talked at it because that's where the microphone had been for decades.

Paul
JD 450c forestry, JD 440A cable skidder

amos
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by amos » Sat May 12, 2018 7:29 pm

Hi Paul,
To my right side is a 1930's candlestick phone :rotary dial type and you have a separate ear piece from the body with the speak into cone on the candlestick with the rotary at the bottom on the base. Solid brass and painted black:still works. On my kitchen wall is a chrome 1950's pay phone:still works. By my bed is a 1940's bakelite rotary phone: still works.
And while I'm venting, I've yet to have a pencil and paper "crash" and need to be re-booted...Ain't a dang thing wrong with old anything: it'll outlast most of us and all my old stuff still does a days work.
Amos

Stan Disbrow
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Stan Disbrow » Sun May 13, 2018 5:07 am

Hi,

Yup. Still work. But prior to 1950, there were differences in how they worked so one needs to stick a modifying circuit inside or risk the ire of the phone company. ;)

Pencil and paper crash all the time. Rebooting is called sharpening it. I was trying to make a small sketch yesterday and had three pencils bust, and no sharpener in the shop. Ran out of pencils at that point (Ha! Get It?) and had to go to the house for my 'reboots'....

Back in 2010, I was with BlackBerry. Lots of ex-Ericsson folks went there in 2009. Anyway, BB was a Smartphone only outfit. But, we wanted to appeal to the flipphone users. The bosses gave the job to the Ericsson folks as we made more flipphone models than anyone.

So, we made a great one. A tad oversized as we had to incorporate the larger BB keyboard and screen. It sold better than any other model. For six months. Then, zippo sales. Turns out it was a smaller market than we thought. Same thing would happen to anyone who comes out with a 420 or 350 sized crawler today. Thing is, all the crawler makers know this. We didn't. :P

Stan
There's No Such Thing As A Cheap Crawler!

Useta Have: '58 JD 420c 5-roller w/62 inside blade
Useta Have: '78 JD350C w/6310 outside blade
Useta Have: '68 JD350, '51 Terratrac GT-25
Have: 1950 M, 2005 x495, 2008 5103 (now known as 5045D)

dtoots1
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by dtoots1 » Sun May 13, 2018 3:08 pm

so Kubata comes out with a nice smaller wheeled tractor that does everything from mow to backhoe, and seems to do a nice business with it..tho maybe was the other red one that i can't think of the name..Mahindra?????

tho Ma Deere seems on bandwagon..

seems can do job if patient enough

amos
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by amos » Mon May 14, 2018 6:35 am

Morning dtoots:
Seen those here and watched on youtube, Even rented one a few years ago. Just like any small piece of equipment you have to know and understand its limitations. What I noticed is they aren't all that heavy duty and are slower acting on the back hoe end due to limitations of tractor hydraulic flow and pressure.
Usually people with small tractors with a loader will knock over a 4" tree then think it will take on a 10" deeprooted tree and damage the loader,tractor or both.
Even on big tractors with loaders people think it doubles as a dozer: dozers are for bulldozing and loaders are for loading. To use a loader for dozing might work: till you get into something that doesn't want to move.
Back in the old days people would dig a stump with a pick,shovel,ax and a mule: worked fine but took some time. Same with the little tractor combo machines.
Down here were getting into the 90 degrees with high humidity time that just sucks the life out of me: too early to be that miserable.
Amos

amos
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by amos » Mon May 14, 2018 6:44 am

Back to my phone frustrations: going back today to buy 1 or 2 of the same phone i just bought for spares.One lasts about 3 years so with 3 I'll be covered for 9 years or so. After that, won't care.Can you hear me now..... :lol:
Amos

dtoots1
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by dtoots1 » Mon May 14, 2018 7:52 am

well that is a problem...hearing!!!!
have worn hearing aid since i was 6 years old, first in right ear then in both ears...then right ear completely gone and hearing aid won't fix....so only 1 ear left and when hearing aid out can't hear worth s.... so have to TEXT on the phones....flips worked o.k. but keys too dang small so went to larger flat phone....still keys too dang small and have to use magic wand.....and still don't work all the magic buttons and do dads on this thing...like you it is only a communication tool......you tube etc i aint interested!!

Oh by th way...when i was 62 i went to govt. for hearing test.....came back hearing loss is 92%....right ear totaled out and left at about 70%..and that with the hearing aid..they want 93% for disability!!! ??? must be NEW math .....really didn't give a flip as have lived with it all my life so life goes on..

still have the old flip phone somewhere

psprague
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by psprague » Mon May 14, 2018 10:35 am

Hey all,

My wife is hard of hearing and finally, after years of convincing that she indeed has a problem, got hearing aids. CAN'T HEAR, I SAID YOU CAN'T HEAR. NO, STAY THERE, I SAID YOU CAN'T HEAR, NOT COME HERE. NEVERMIND, JUST AGREE DEAR.

She got some really cool ones that had Bluetooth connectivity with her phone. Worked slick but now she just wears a standard Bluetooth earpiece.

My wife also thinks life comes with a warehouse so I'm sure we have at least one left over flip phone. Charger, manual, probably even the box too.

Paul

dtoots1
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by dtoots1 » Mon May 14, 2018 10:50 am

just a caution for those who care....

just remember that all these things do is increase volume essentially..to all sounds, including the wind..speaking distintincly and even using a different word with same meaning can make a difference in understanding what is being intended.....hollering loader does NOT do it....and one other thing....It certainly is NOT funny to the person not being able to understand what is being said..it is literally very frustrating... Always remember the rule for conversation....face the person so that they can see you....we all even with perfect hearing, literally read lips and it makes a difference.

psprague
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by psprague » Mon May 14, 2018 12:32 pm

Oh I dearly love my wife so its all in jest. She did want to deny it at first. WHAT? followed by STOP YELLING AT ME!

The hearing aids she gets are profiled to amplify based on her specific loss ranges. And things are much better now, I just have to wait till she puts them in before having any kind of conversation.

Ray III
2010 crawler
2010 crawler

Post by Ray III » Fri Nov 23, 2018 11:28 am

Stan Disbrow wrote:
Sun May 13, 2018 5:07 am
Back in 2010, I was with BlackBerry. Lots of ex-Ericsson folks went there in 2009. Anyway, BB was a Smartphone only outfit. But, we wanted to appeal to the flipphone users. The bosses gave the job to the Ericsson folks as we made more flipphone models than anyone.

So, we made a great one. A tad oversized as we had to incorporate the larger BB keyboard and screen. It sold better than any other model. For six months. Then, zippo sales. Turns out it was a smaller market than we thought. Same thing would happen to anyone who comes out with a 420 or 350 sized crawler today. Thing is, all the crawler makers know this. We didn't. :P

Stan
That BlackBerry flip phone was actually my first smartphone. I wanted something small and hard to break but with a keyboard. Trying to read anything on the tiny screen may have been the reason it didn't sell, though.

After that I had a Bold 9930, probably the best phone they ever made. And eventually got a Classic, which uses their new operating system. I am typing this post on my second one of those, even though they were forced to abandon the phone market a couple years ago.

Stan Disbrow
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Stan Disbrow » Fri Nov 23, 2018 1:56 pm

Hi,

The best one we ever did was the 10 series. The Z10 all-touch and the Q10 keyboarded. And, BB isn't dead, just downsized. Certain government agencies still require BB usage for security reasons. They did drop their own OS for Android, though. Also, they now work with Samsung and their Knox products. So, there is a contract aspect to their business.

I am still using a Z10 and see no reason to change until 5G fills out and forces the issue. Plus, I am still using a PlayBook tablet to keep up with these forums. Always ready, and can link to the BB phone via BlueTooth so it doesn't need WiFi and also doesn't cost another device with the cell carrier. Only tablet that can do that. But, otherwise pretty useless. :P

Stan

Ray III
2010 crawler
2010 crawler

Post by Ray III » Sat Nov 24, 2018 7:09 pm

That's great that you still use a BlackBerry. I never see them anymore. It was very disappointing that they couldn't continue development of BB10 because it seemed a much less frustrating experience than trying to do things on the other guys' phones (as long as you didn't need an app!).

Stan Disbrow
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Stan Disbrow » Sat Nov 24, 2018 8:07 pm

Hi,

The scheme was great: the OS allowed for splitting one phone into two. One for work and one for personal. We had a new CEO that thought we could leverage that to steal users from other platforms. The idea was sound, but not the decision to spend all the cash on hand to build way too many units to begin with. We got stuck with inventory from too little sales. It didn't help that he decided the all-touch come out months ahead of the keyboarded unit. Should have been at the same time. Anyway, that really cost. Then, the USPS decided to no longer use the BB security. That accounted for half our Govt sales.

Stan