To paint or not to paint

Discuss non-crawler related issues here (keep it sane, please)
townlineterry
440 crawler
440 crawler

To paint or not to paint

Post by townlineterry » Sun Mar 10, 2019 4:53 pm

I have a backhoe I put out for sale last fall, with spring coming should get more interest in it. The paint is original and I think good for a 30 plus year old machine, how ever others may not see it that way. Wondering if it is worth the expense to repaint. Was told once by a dealer that if a machine does not sell they will repaint it and that often does the trick. Myself, if I see new paint on a old machine I start looking for what it might be covering up, but I'm not other people. Thoughts, opinions?

B Town
350 crawler
350 crawler

Re: To paint or not to paint

Post by B Town » Sun Mar 10, 2019 6:33 pm

I prefer original paint. If a machine is re-painted, I would wonder what is under the paint. I would partially judge the quality of the machine based on the quality of the re-paint. I have seen many trader machines where everything is painted, hoses, wires, filters etc... I always thought those jobs looked terrible and would take away from an otherwise good machine. My two cents

77 Ford
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by 77 Ford » Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:14 am

To me it has to do with when the paint was applied. If it was painted last week I find that a turn off but if it was painted a year ago I assume that is a person who is into fixing up his stuff. Either way don't paint the hoses and wires that just looks horrible and I wouldn't buy something like that out of principle alone.
JD- 450C track loader
Serial #208336T

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:48 am

Unfortunately, paint sells. Seen it on more crawlers than I can count. Lipstick on a pig, but the new owner sure liked their shiny paint job. One of the RItchie Brothers sites I have been past has a couple large paint booths on site, and they paint a lot of stuff prior to the auction.
Lavoy
Parts and restoration for antique and late model John Deere crawlers.
Owner and moderator www.jdcrawlers.com