Quick Couplings

Discuss non-crawler related issues here (keep it sane, please)
77 Ford
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Quick Couplings

Post by 77 Ford » Thu Mar 28, 2019 6:52 am

My skid steer has a set of quick connect couplings that I hook my grapple too. One of the pairs leaks but only when I'm closing the clamp tight, not when i'm opening it hard, which I find very odd. The grapple is new and the couplings on the machine are new, someone had removed them before I bought it. Is there anything I can do besides just buying 1 or both sides as replacements? Any ideas on why it only leaks in one direction?
JD- 450C track loader
Serial #208336T

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Re: Quick Couplings

Post by Jim B » Thu Mar 28, 2019 7:50 am

Has something damaged the O-ring/backing ring in the female coupling? Any nicks or burrs on the male end that could have cut them? Possible miss match of brands, even though they should be standard?

77 Ford
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by 77 Ford » Wed Apr 03, 2019 6:57 am

They are miss matched brands I'm sure as the grapple came with it's own couplers. I can't see anything obvious at all. I guess I'll see if I can figure out what brand the grapple is and try and find the matching mate to it see if that helps. I don't really have any very many options at this point.
JD- 450C track loader
Serial #208336T

notmeu
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by notmeu » Wed Apr 03, 2019 7:51 pm

Couplers are pretty common. Google “surplus center” and check their hydraulic fittings. You will have to get a similar gpm fitting to what you currently have. Their relatively cheap to buy a new male and female fitting
1956 JD420, gearmatic 8a winch, custom 6 way blade and FOPS.

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Jim B » Fri Apr 05, 2019 5:28 am

77 Ford,

If both males are on the grapple, and the same size, you can swap the hoses, to reverse the functions, you may be able to pin point the defective half. If the leak stays on the same skid steer hose, study the coupler half on the skid steer closely for defects. If it moves to the other skid steer hose, study the coupler half on the grapple closely for a defect. Most often I've found worn or cut O-rings and back up rings. If you find them cut be sure the male end coupler doesn't have nicks or burrs.

Those should be just standard ISO couplers, either 3/8" or 1/2", your couplings likely have numbers on them. You should be able to match them at any equipment dealer or stores like Tractor Supply, Rural King, what ever is in your area. Surplus Center as notmeu suggested is a good source. Lavoy might have them.

Jim