Considering purchase but need help

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
Bull's Hill
MC crawler
MC crawler

Considering purchase but need help

Post by Bull's Hill » Thu Apr 04, 2019 11:01 am

I have found a 440IC five speed with a Model 91 loader and the ID plate is missing. The guy said it's a 64 but is was his dad's and he doesn't know much about it except it worked when parked some years ago. He suggested it might need an engine rebuild but he's by no means a mechanic and doesn't really know.

Someone else had been out and tried to turn it over using the battery to coil method and locked up the starter after maybe one revolution...the melted wire is still hanging there. I took the starter down to the shop and they quoted ~$150 dollar rebuild. Are starters available? The parts manual shows 2 starters for the IC standard and heavy duty. Does it matter which one?

Also there was standing water in the exhaust manifold, missing up pipe, so I pulled the manifold to drain it and antifreeze poured out of the exhaust ports. Surely that's not right?

And can someone fill me in on the reverser that I see frequently mentioned?

Also are all of these 6V or just certain years?

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Re: Considering purchase but need help

Post by Jim B » Thu Apr 04, 2019 11:44 am

Others will be weighing in on this but here are a few basic answers for you to start with.

I believe all were originally 6 volt.

Either the standard or heavy duty starter will work. I believe JD usually went to the HD ones for replacements. Starters are available aftermarket, it is likely Lavoy, owner of this site, has them in stock in his store and can help you with that.

If it has been setting with water/coolant in the manifold and head; there is likely very serious issues.

The reversers were good if used properly, but could be damaged easily and parts are not easy to find.

Those are short answers, but gives you a start.

Bull's Hill
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by Bull's Hill » Thu Apr 04, 2019 12:24 pm

Thanks. That was what I though but knowing some older engines used coolant to cool exhaust valves I was hoping something as simple as a seal. I don't know were I got the idea that they were made into the 60s but looks like the year is wrong. It's going for 1500 and that seem to be standard for non running but I don't know if I want to mess with an engine build.

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Jim B » Thu Apr 04, 2019 12:36 pm

They were built 3 years 1958 to 1960. See Lavoy's post of serial numbers and production figures on the FAQ board.

dtoots1
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by dtoots1 » Fri Apr 05, 2019 7:03 am

where are you located? it helps if you add location to your profile...

if you really want it..the 1500 aint bad...i worked on a jd 40s wheeled tractor that sat for 20 years...it is 2 cylinder as well....1 of the cylinders was rusted to the walls...set all winter with pb blaster and then miracle oil...got it loose, put new oil in and has been my snow pusher for that last 6 or 7 years...still has original paint on...didn't even change plugs till i got her started.
also pulled head off jd2010 with a cup of rust and whatever, in one cylinder, had head checked and valves $150 later put her back together and running...it takes patience and care to get them unstuck..lots of pb blaster.
where you at someone always available.

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:13 am

Engine rebuild is the least of your worries, it will likely need both steering clutches if it has been sitting for a while. If you are not familiar with crawlers, they are significantly more expensive to repair than wheel tractors. If you think a $150 starter rebuild is expensive, I don't think you will like the prices of some of the other parts. Make sure you have a need or desire for a crawler before diving in.
Lavoy
Parts and restoration for antique and late model John Deere crawlers.
Owner and moderator www.jdcrawlers.com

Bull's Hill
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by Bull's Hill » Sun Apr 14, 2019 7:20 pm

They want 750 for it don't know if I should walk away or not. I could use one but maybe I should just spend the money on something running.

gregjo1948
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by gregjo1948 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:49 am

For 750, you can't hardly go wrong. You could part it out for more than that. There may be a significant amount of work and cash to invest but, a 440 can be a very handy little machine. Think about how much it would cost to hire the work done. Once you get it up and running, you can get your dozing projects done then sell the machine. Stay in touch with this site and these folks can help with mechanical questions and parts.
JD 350B diesel 6way blade, Case 580B Loader/backhoe, Farmall 504 high crop w/ flail boom mower, International 404 , International 284 diesel w/belly mower, 1972 Ford F600 dump truck, Galion 3-5 roller, Allis Chalmers D17, 1620 Ford

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Jim B » Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:49 am

Some questions you must answer for yourself:

1. Do you need/want to own a crawler, or would renting a machine now and then be better for your needs?
2. Are you able to do the work involved on it yourself? (Skills, tools, place to do the work, etc.)
3. Do you want to undertake the fairly major work (time and money) needing to be done before it runs?
4. Are you prepared to spend 2, 3, 4, or maybe more, times the purchase price to have a fully functioning machine? (Re-read Lavoy's post.)
5. Are you ready to start by rebuilding or replacing the engine, if needed, to get it running just to find out what else it needs? ( Seller really has given you no insight to condition, worked/ran when parked really tells you nothing. Possible problems: Engine clutch, Transmission/reverser work, Steering Clutches, Brakes, Final Drives, Undercarriage, Hydraulics, Electrical)
6. If it doesn't work out do you want to be trying to sell a dead crawler or invest the time to part it out and sell the components, to try to get your investment back?

I am not trying to tell you to go one way or the other; both sides have merit. I'm saying take the information you have, look at this objectively, and answer yourself honestly. Make a decision you will have to live with. JMHO

Jim

Bull's Hill
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by Bull's Hill » Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:50 am

Thanks for the feedback. I guess I need to find out what the most pricey item is and go from there.

dtoots1
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by dtoots1 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:11 am

well i have a jd440ic as well...just to give you an idea of costs....i replaced 1 side of steering....new clutch pack (steels and fibres), throw out , sleeve and new brake band if i remember correctly that was a total of $650, though i do recommend that you read all the posts in regards to the jd440ic repairs, use the search feature to list all jd440 info. i posted some other costs involved then.
If you have worked on repairing cars and such you should be able to do what is necessary, but do need some tools and some type of lifting mode to work on the steering clutches etc....stuff is heavy and a bit awkward. a helper is great too.

Again post your location in your profile, you may find someone close...

pop pop
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by pop pop » Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:24 am

hello Bull Hill, well if you want to get into it cheap, you cant go wrong at $750.
you can always sell it for that if you change your mind later. have fun.
440icd/602/8a,,440icd/831/ripper,,440icd/831/3pt.,misc. 440 parts, i have 5 of these now, but i can stop anytime :cry:

Bull's Hill
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by Bull's Hill » Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:54 am

Thanks for all the great advice. Sadly I'm walking away as I just have to many other things going on to take on another major project. Time is not a forgiving resource. I'll be looking for something less time intensive.

dtoots1
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by dtoots1 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:51 pm

where is it at others may well be interested ...