420C Direction reverser

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
gbreene
MC crawler
MC crawler

420C Direction reverser

Post by gbreene » Sun Apr 28, 2019 5:05 pm

New to the discussion forum. I have a 420C that I bought a few years ago at a silent auction for $505. When I first looked at it the tag was in place but when I went back it was gone!. Machine was painted yellow with green visible underneath,looked like a repaint long ago with hardware store numbers for the 420. Engine was fresh green and turned out to be rebuilt. Machine has worked great but now direction reverser is not working properly. I can't find the right manual for the machine and am looking for some help. The casting number on the reverser case is T 10188T *
I had to pull the engine due to a broken starter nose cone so i figured I might as well dig in and try and repair this while I was at it. I have the case apart and the reverser out of the case but not disassembled. Are the parts available for this unit?
Will likely paint when reassembling and would like to have the color correct.
Any guidance would be appreciated.
Thanks again.

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: 420C Direction reverser

Post by Lavoy » Sun Apr 28, 2019 9:39 pm

I stock some parts for them, bearings and seals are not an issue, hard parts are used only for now.
You will need a factory 420 parts and service manual prior to tackling the job. I usually stock them, short delay to get more if I am out. Send me an e-mail at postmaster@jdcrawlers.com and I can get back to you.
Lavoy
Parts and restoration for antique and late model John Deere crawlers.
Owner and moderator www.jdcrawlers.com

Stan Disbrow
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Stan Disbrow » Mon Apr 29, 2019 4:31 am

Hi,

Note that if your reverser is the later differential style, you will also need the service manual for the 440IC. The late reverser isn't in the 420 manual.

Back then, Deere presumed anyone needing service manuals were dealers and so always had all the manuals on hand. There are some items where you need the 40 and M service manuals as well. When they began making the 440IC, they were still making the 420 and so added the 440 reverser as a 420 option.

Stan
There's No Such Thing As A Cheap Crawler!

Useta Have: '58 JD 420c 5-roller w/62 inside blade
Useta Have: '78 JD350C w/6310 outside blade
Useta Have: '68 JD350, '51 Terratrac GT-25
Have: 1950 M, 2005 x495, 2008 5103 (now known as 5045D)

gbreene
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by gbreene » Tue Apr 30, 2019 7:00 pm

Thanks for the help guys. I will be in touch and keep you updated on my progress.

gbreene
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by gbreene » Sun May 05, 2019 5:55 pm

So I opened up the reverser and the planetary gears bearings are no longer there. I found some of the roller bearing parts in the oil when I opened the case. The gears look good and should be fine with new bearings. The 3 shafts that the 4 small gears attach to are real worn and will need to be replaced. Are these available or should I have them made by a local machine shop? Also the clutches look pretty good as I can still see grooves in them.
Lavoy I will be contacting you about the bearings.
I have ordered a 440IC manual to better understand the assembly.
Thanks again.

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Mon May 06, 2019 8:00 am

Sounds like it was run out of or very low on oil, just like mine was. :cry:
The shafts are expensive or obsolete, would have to do some digging, but yes, they need to be replaced. They are hardened and ground, so they need to be good stuff, not just plain shafting.
Bearings, seals, and gaskets are no problem.
Look at your thrust washers as well under the pinion gears.
Lavoy
Parts and restoration for antique and late model John Deere crawlers.
Owner and moderator www.jdcrawlers.com