Clam bucket question

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
Trucksareford42
MC crawler
MC crawler

Clam bucket question

Post by Trucksareford42 » Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:37 am

I have the chance to purchase this clam bucket. Anyone have any idea what it was originally on? Also how hard would it be to convert to use on my 350b? Thanks guys

http://imgbox.com/71XdxB85
http://imgbox.com/xtuXSxQY
http://imgbox.com/ozibKjkS

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Re: Clam bucket question

Post by Jim B » Thu Jun 13, 2019 4:54 pm

Hard to say what it was on but I would guess maybe a wheel loader. How big is it? It looks like it has some breed of quick attach connection. Bracket on loader would capture the pipe with the tubes through it, lift and roll back then pins would lock into the holes at the bottom of the ears to secure it.

How hard would it be to convert to your 350B? Look at the difference in how the two attach. It is likely you would have to remove some to all of the attaching gear from that bucket; then install new ears/plates to match the configuration on your bucket where the loader pins on. Do you have the ability and facilities to do the heavy fabrication and welding? Since you are asking this, I'm thinking you likely don't. If you are thinking of hiring it done it could be expensive by the time you finish. Does your loader already have the hydraulics in place to operate it; or have you got to add the valve and plumbing as well?

Other things to consider is how big is this bucket, what does it weigh, how does the shape compare, and how will the geometry look with the ears on it to attach to your loader. The parts catalog shows the 350B used a Drott 3/4 yard 4 in 1 bucket or a JD 3/4 yard multi-purpose 4 in 1 bucket, not very large buckets capacity wise. Extra size usually equals more weight in the bucket's materials and more weight in the larger capacity when filled. Further if it is wider it puts more twisting stress and strain on the loader if one corner digging and the other isn't. Larger means more stain on the undercarriage and drive train is a possibility too.

Personal opinion, given the work and risks involved, I wouldn't do it. I would look for a parts machine (the same buckets show for the 350B and C) with a 4 in 1 bucket and hydraulics if I really wanted a 4 in 1 bucket. It is a decision you will have to make. JMHO

Trucksareford42
MC crawler
MC crawler

Re: Clam bucket question

Post by Trucksareford42 » Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:49 am

Thankyou so much for your reply. I was more curious of what it was attached to. I have some fabrication abilities welder/torch /tape measure. My loader has the extra hydraulic valve on the fender. I am happy with just the bucket but how often does a clamshell bucket come around at 400$. That’s the only reason I was interested. May still but if for a future project.