450 Fluids, engine manufacturer and paint

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
cordlesscarpenter
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

450 Fluids, engine manufacturer and paint

Post by cordlesscarpenter » Fri Jun 28, 2019 3:50 pm

Gents (and ladies I suppose),

I bought a 450 straight (diesel), late 60s. I am getting ready to change all the fluids, filters, etc. This day and age I always go with full synthetic in my vehicles but with an older engine like these have I know they have more loose tolerances which would lend itself more towards conventional oil but what about a synthetic blend? What blends and brands have you all been using? How are you liking the results? How about additives for theses old engines like SeaFoam? Does it need to be a certain type of oil like "T6" or maybe "T4" or anything?

Who makes the diesel engine for the 450, John Deere or a major engine manufacturer?

Also, I just got done pressure washing the old girl and she's cleaning up rather well and although the paint that's on her is pretty tough stuff, it was no match for my pressure washer. I am planning on going ahead and painting her while she's nice and clean but am having problems matching the paint. Found out early on that John Deere yellow is not the yellow from back then, is there a paint code or certain name I should be looking for? I think it might be "John Deere Old Construction" but I'm not sure, does anyone out there have any experience with this? I'd rather not spend a bunch of money trying to figure it out. I guess I could take a paint chip in to Sherman Williams but I haven't had much luck with them in the past.

What about backhoes? What backhoe serial numbers match up to the 450?

Last, what other 4 in 1 buckets fit the 450 other than the 72" Drott?

So many questions boggling up the mind lol

Thanks!
Last edited by cordlesscarpenter on Fri Jun 28, 2019 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

shinnery
350 crawler
350 crawler

Re: 450 Fluids, engine manufacturer and paint

Post by shinnery » Fri Jun 28, 2019 6:17 pm

AFAIK,except for the 2-53 Jimmy (Detroit) diesels in the 440I, 440ICD, and 435 all John Deere engines are John Deere built. Some newer compact tractors may have Yanmar diesels.
No trees were hurt in the creation of this message.
But, many electrons were terribly bothered.

440IC/602, 2-440ICD/831 MM UBU-LP, 445N-LP, 445E-LP, BIG MO 400-M, 4 Star-LP M5-D, M5-LP, M602-LP, M670-LP, G900-LP, G900-D, G1000 Vista-LP Case 580CK

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Jim B » Sat Jun 29, 2019 9:24 am

As shinnery said, John Deere built the engine. They are a major engine builder.

You said in your first post you have a service manual. It should have a Lubrication section that will help you. (Manuals usually show API/SAE specs) The two biggest changes to what you see in it would be in engine oil and transmission/hydraulic oils.

Multi-viscosity engine oils are more the norm now. A lot of people use 15W/40 diesel oil year round. I use that in all my equipment and truck engines with no issues. If you want to use a full synthetic I don't see a problem as long as you meet or exceed the JD specs. It is common around here for some to use synthetic in the winter for easier starting.

Your manual may call for using John Deere 303 for transmission, hydraulics, etc.. That oil/spec is no longer good. Hy-Gard is the current John Deere oil that replaces it. The original John Deere 303 contained sperm whale oil which is no longer available. It is best to avoid the oils currently being sold as 303. In fact, those are being banned from sale in many locations due to them advertising as something that no longer can exist. If you don't want to use Hy-Gard, look for a Universal Transmission/ Hydraulic Fluid meeting or exceeding John Deere's current spec which is JDM J20C. That info should be on the container label.

Additives are a personal choice, but usually are not needed.

As far as what other buckets will fit your loader. Several other manufacturers may have buckets that would fit, but just the brand won't help you. It needs to have the right attaching points (pin sizes and locations) for your 450. Oversizing a bucket can lead to maintenance issues. Someone may have better answers for you as far as what will fit. In the end if you find one I suggest you take your measuring tools and physically check it out, unless it is coming off the same model loader as yours.

Several backhoe models (serial numbers track the individual units in a model run) can be used on a 450. Again someone else may have a list of the ones that fit. You can go to the JD on line parts catalog and enter backhoe as a model and you will get a whole list of backhoes you can search through to see which ones have the right mounts for your 450 with loader.

Just my thoughts, others may have different ones.

jsal
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by jsal » Sun Jun 30, 2019 4:38 am

for the paint just go to a JD dealer get the early construction yellow you do not have to worry about match cheaper than automotive paint reasonably priced also gallons and spray !!!!

JIM

boaterri
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by boaterri » Sun Jun 30, 2019 8:37 am

I have a 450C and a 9300 series back hoe attachment. The back hoe is a beast that will dig thru just about anything. The down side is that it is very heavy. The machine "hobby horses" when tracking along although a front bucket full of rock helps. If you don't need the full capability of the back hoe there is a smaller one that will fit. Don't know the number off hand.

Rick

cordlesscarpenter
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by cordlesscarpenter » Mon Jul 01, 2019 8:33 am

Thanks for all the responses! The info was great!

Update on the paint... I ended up buying a rattle can of John Deere "Old Construction Yellow" for $14 at my JD dealer to make sure it matched before I paid the $92 for the paint and $20? for the hardener. Match was spot on so I picked up a gallon of the roll/brush on Old Construction Yellow and will be preparing her today for paint soon. Rains may delay but I'll be sure to post pic when she's all dolled up.

The info on the 303 was exactly the kind of stuff I was looking to learn, I just know from experience that when dealing with a machine this old, a lot of the old specs on things like are simply outdated and newer stuff is available.

There is a great deal for a 9300 in Montana (on marketplace) near where I plan on moving but am skeptical. One of my best buds lives very near and can check it out but he's not familiar with backhoes enough to know what to look for/find out about so... perhaps it's still for sale when I make another trip up that way in a few months.

Thanks again for all the input... love this forum!