Truck shopping, a shock to the system.

Discuss non-crawler related issues here (keep it sane, please)
townlineterry
440 crawler
440 crawler

Truck shopping, a shock to the system.

Post by townlineterry » Wed Jul 03, 2019 5:50 pm

Last truck I bought was in 05, a new F150. It has finally reached the point with 230 thousand miles I don't want to put the money into it to keep it on the road. Needs body work, a new bed, exhaust system, but final straw was the frame needs major patching.
So today I went truck shopping. Looking for a gas, standard cab, 4x4 cab and chassis.
$40,000.
Seriously, how does anybody afford a new truck?
I don't follow the price of vehicles, so does this sound right? Or did they see a rube walk in the door?
I did find a 2012 F150 with 90,000. A well kept southern truck, very clean for $17,000 picking it up Monday.
But, back to my question, how does anyone, especially a working man possibly afford a new truck?
Terry

B Town
350 crawler
350 crawler

Re: Truck shopping, a shock to the system.

Post by B Town » Wed Jul 03, 2019 7:07 pm

I’m with you, I cannot believe how expensive vehicles are today. I think the prices you mention are standard for current times. Heck, I have heard you can now spend 6 figures on a top-end new truck. Lots of leases. 84 and 96 month loans to get the payment per month reasonable. Lease with low yearly mileage for 3 years then buy with loan for 5 years of payments. I hunt for unicorns, just like you have done.

Equipment in construction and agriculture is much of the same. Since “engineer-to-fail” has failed, I now see lots of manufactures no longer supporting the parts supply chain. Think you can get parts for a 4440 or 50 series, think again!!
A local JD dealer with 6 stores has 68 combines coming in off lease programs this calendar year. I wonder what you do with that many 100-150,000 dollar used combines. Do you see a lot of them sell and quickly?.

I have taken a page from my Dad’s play book. I have multiples of like-type machines for parts supplies.
Best regards crawler brother,
Bruce

dtoots1
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by dtoots1 » Thu Jul 04, 2019 7:14 am

guess i shoulda posted the cost of my 2015 all terrain gmc back in jan 2018...thought it was ridiculous 26k for a 2 yr old 50k miles came from Texas, love it...but most i ever paid for brand new truck or suv was 5500 back in 77...(that was $77per month and no down payment or trade) .and now i wonder just how long before damn thing gets those termites in my all white truck, by the way tis rhino coated underneath and the entire bed.

by the way have a happy 4th!!!!!!

townlineterry
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by townlineterry » Thu Jul 04, 2019 8:05 am

It aggravates me that these subordinate wanna be road warriors are the ones driving the prices up making it hard for a guy that needs a truck for his livelihood to afford a truck. I mean do you really need a F350 diesel dually for a grocery getter and the most serious offroading you do are the speed humps at Micky D's. Our Kia does those jobs just fine.
Hell, even a lot of guys using their truck for work are over equipt. I do excavation and logging and I've found that a half ton gasser will do every thing I need a pickup to do.
Terry

dtoots1
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by dtoots1 » Thu Jul 04, 2019 10:54 am

yup ...except pull my 33ft wag along camper!, without tearing the rear end out, shoulda got a 5th or goose..stabilizers don't do job..not at highway travels anyway.

B Town
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by B Town » Thu Jul 04, 2019 11:08 am

It is amazing what the previous generations could get done with a limited slip rear end, good chains and some weight over the rear end. Dad never owned a 4x4 and rarely had bad trouble. Only the rich owned 4x4’s back in the day in rural Iowa. But entitlement sets in, society gets in a big hurry, coming up with all kinds of “advancements “ and good ideas. Lets not forget about growth. They say growth, I see devaluation and ultra wealth concentration

hydrogeo
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by hydrogeo » Fri Jul 05, 2019 9:15 am

Trucks have become so expensive it's stupid. 8 years ago I bought a nice used Tundra with 120k on it for $10,000. That truck lasted me 6 years and then I got a company truck so I sold it. The cost of ownership was reasonable. This spring I decided I needed a full size truck to pull my equipment trailer as I can't really pull it with my work truck and my old Dodge one ton isn't really trust worthy on the road anymore.

I considered a 2wd but 2 wheel drive trucks around here are only good for 7 months a year. True, back in the day everyone had 2wd, but everyone also carried weight in the back and had a set of chains that got used regularly (I remember my grandfather chaining his car up on stormy days). Chains on public roads are not legal here anymore even if they were practical.

For a basic 4x4 gas job with an extra cab and between 100k and 150k I couldn't find anything less than $20k that was worth looking at. Add the word diesel to the mix and add another $8k to the price. Fords were far cheaper than GMs and Ram/Dodge, but I never will be a Ford guy. I ended up finding a decent deal (in today's market at least) on a Chevy 3500 Duramax that was a former commercial fleet truck. It was silly expensive but it is such an awesome truck. I was lucky, as the fleet history scared people away. It almost did me as well, but I got all the maintenance records that show oil changes and maintenance from new, and it was well maintained and not beat so I took a chance. 3 months later so far so good. The other kicker is that the diesels now are so expensive to repair. Head gaskets in the Duramax's are like $8k+ if they go, injection pumps are like $5k. Both are common issues. Yikes, hope mine holds up!

Ray III
2010 crawler
2010 crawler

Post by Ray III » Mon Sep 09, 2019 1:04 pm

townlineterry wrote:
Thu Jul 04, 2019 8:05 am
It aggravates me that these subordinate wanna be road warriors are the ones driving the prices up making it hard for a guy that needs a truck for his livelihood to afford a truck. I mean do you really need a F350 diesel dually for a grocery getter and the most serious offroading you do are the speed humps at Micky D's.
This, and the mentality people have these days that they have to trade in a near new vehicle after 2 years and stay in something brand new.

I wasn't pleased with the frame on my 04 F-150 rotting out after only 12 years. If you think the box frame means it's stronger, nope, Ford used it as an excuse to build the thing out of flattened soup cans. I replaced it with an F-250, they still had a heavy wall frame up until the 2017 weight reduction scheme came around.