trying to figure out what year and model and steering trouble

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
rolandj
40C crawler
40C crawler

trying to figure out what year and model and steering trouble

Post by rolandj » Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:06 pm

So i am new to the forum and purchased a HD 350 from a close family friend he thinks its a 71 350b . it has no rops i guess some had it and some didn't . the serial number is 105101T. It also has a problem when you pull back to steer left like its not adjusted right he replaced everything in left side and to no avail but i don't think he adjust everything under the seat. any thoughts

Jason37756
440 crawler
440 crawler

Re: trying to figure out what year and model and steering trouble

Post by Jason37756 » Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:42 pm

Doesn't seem correct to replace everything in the left clutch and brake area and not adjust them.

Order a manual from lavoy and search youtube for "John Deere 350 clutch & brake adjustment"

Also look into the clutch housing on the trouble side for oil or wetness. It should be dry. If you see oil or anything that appears wet then you're probably looking at a rebuild. If its dry then you could have a broken or worn brake band that cannot lock the brake drum enough to turn the dozer. Could also be a stuck clutch pack that the brake cannot overcome.

Could be a simple brake adjustment. Basically your trying to release the power and apply the brake to the left track. There is a sequence that must occur for the system to function properly.

Could even be a broken linkage from the stick to the clutch housing...take a look at the linkage to make sure.

If it were mine I'd tighten that brake band down and see what happens...the motor should bog down if the brake is working. Don't run the dozer much...this is just a test to see what's going on with it. If clutch and brake are adjusted properly the motor won't bog much at all

Check back and let me know how things went.

Jason

shinnery
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by shinnery » Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:42 am

S.N 105101 shows to be a 1970 350 Straight. FYI forum has listings.
No trees were hurt in the creation of this message.
But, many electrons were terribly bothered.

440IC/602, 2-440ICD/831 MM UBU-LP, 445N-LP, 445E-LP, BIG MO 400-M, 4 Star-LP M5-D, M5-LP, M602-LP, M670-LP, G900-LP, G900-D, G1000 Vista-LP Case 580CK

rolandj
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by rolandj » Thu Jul 11, 2019 6:15 am

Jason37756 wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:42 pm
Doesn't seem correct to replace everything in the left clutch and brake area and not adjust them.

Order a manual from lavoy and search youtube for "John Deere 350 clutch & brake adjustment"

Also look into the clutch housing on the trouble side for oil or wetness. It should be dry. If you see oil or anything that appears wet then you're probably looking at a rebuild. If its dry then you could have a broken or worn brake band that cannot lock the brake drum enough to turn the dozer. Could also be a stuck clutch pack that the brake cannot overcome.

Could be a simple brake adjustment. Basically your trying to release the power and apply the brake to the left track. There is a sequence that must occur for the system to function properly.

Could even be a broken linkage from the stick to the clutch housing...take a look at the linkage to make sure.

If it were mine I'd tighten that brake band down and see what happens...the motor should bog down if the brake is working. Don't run the dozer much...this is just a test to see what's going on with it. If clutch and brake are adjusted properly the motor won't bog much at all

Check back and let me know how things went.

Jason
Jason Thanks i will pull covers off and look. I have manuals i bought all of them haha. I watched a video and i see to think the the pull stick wasn't adjusted because it will steer w no load and i figured checking tolerances was easier first then tearing it apart . Thanks for all the info

rolandj
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by rolandj » Thu Jul 11, 2019 6:18 am

shinnery wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:42 am
S.N 105101 shows to be a 1970 350 Straight. FYI forum has listings.
Thank you . You wouldn't happen to know paint color would you ? Is it school bus yellow ?

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Jim B » Thu Jul 11, 2019 6:49 am

No, it is not school bus yellow. I believe yours would be this John Deere number: John Deere Industrial Yellow Paint - 1991 and Older - TY25679.

1992 and on is a different JD industrial yellow.

If it will steer with no load you may have a slipping clutch. If you try to turn left does the crawler stop moving when you pull the left lever if pushing? If so you may have a problem with the right clutch slipping under load, it has to drive to turn left. Just as the left clutch drives when you turn right.
Last edited by Jim B on Thu Jul 11, 2019 6:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jason37756
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by Jason37756 » Thu Jul 11, 2019 6:58 am

Sounds good. I would adjust everything on the trouble side. Because of 50 years of wear nothing will be totally precise, but adjusting the stick will give you the travel you need to actually move the clutch and brake.

Because it steers without a load could potentially be a bad thing. The clutches on the right side could be soaked in oil not allowing the right track to power the turn. Try sinking the blade into a stump and see if the tracks spin...then try to disengage the clutches to stop the tracks...shouldn't have to pull the sticks much because you're simply removing the power from the track, not trying to turn the dozer. Also try each side seperatly, this will show you if the clutches are working.

You could also test the clutches/brakes by climbing a slight incline and pulling the sticks back far enough to disengage the clutches...dozer should roll backwards...pull further and dozer should stop.

As you get more familiar with your dozer you'll notice how things feel and sound when steering and you can adjust things according. I have found just because it steers doesnt mean you have a proper adjustment. New brake bands can stop a weak clutch pack...but not for long. The band will eventually wear, so it's important to listen and feel what the motor does when the brake is engaged.

Welcome to the forum

Jason

rolandj
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by rolandj » Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:54 am

Jason37756 wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 6:58 am
Sounds good. I would adjust everything on the trouble side. Because of 50 years of wear nothing will be totally precise, but adjusting the stick will give you the travel you need to actually move the clutch and brake.

Because it steers without a load could potentially be a bad thing. The clutches on the right side could be soaked in oil not allowing the right track to power the turn. Try sinking the blade into a stump and see if the tracks spin...then try to disengage the clutches to stop the tracks...shouldn't have to pull the sticks much because you're simply removing the power from the track, not trying to turn the dozer. Also try each side seperatly, this will show you if the clutches are working.

You could also test the clutches/brakes by climbing a slight incline and pulling the sticks back far enough to disengage the clutches...dozer should roll backwards...pull further and dozer should stop.

As you get more familiar with your dozer you'll notice how things feel and sound when steering and you can adjust things according. I have found just because it steers doesnt mean you have a proper adjustment. New brake bands can stop a weak clutch pack...but not for long. The band will eventually wear, so it's important to listen and feel what the motor does when the brake is engaged.

Welcome to the forum

Jason
Jason, i will try adjusting it maybe over weekend after i finish doing water pump. and i may have confused what i said as its hard to explain via typing . so if i am going along an pull back on right stick the left side is sluggish. it will do it with no load but struggles with one sitting in seat its left side always . that being said my friend replaced everything new in it an still same problems which is what leads me to believe if you don't know to adjust everything under seat you can throw new parts at it all day long to no avail if not properly adjusted ... Thanks Joe

dtoots1
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by dtoots1 » Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:57 am

ok second time around....you said if you pull on the right steering your left track is sluggish. It will pay you immensely to find out if your friend actually got John Deere replacement clutches and steels....the off brands are really KNOWN to shatter and break apart...which could be what has happened..also need to look closely for oil contamination from shaft seals. Review posts on this site in regards to this issue....Lavoy does have most of whats needed for these old gals....

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Jim B » Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:18 pm

Also ask if he adjusted the fingers of the pressure plate with the John Deere gauge when he assembled the steering clutch.

Jason37756
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by Jason37756 » Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:54 pm

I'll ditto the last two posts.

rolandj
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by rolandj » Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:38 am

Honestly my gut says its not adjusted right because when he repaired it soon as he finished job it still did saybe try adjusting me as its doing . All parts were JD I asked him when i bought it from him. Im going to maybe try adjusting it an see what happens, I don't think adjusting it will hurt . Thank you everyone.

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Jim B » Fri Jul 12, 2019 5:37 am

Yes, do the full adjustment procedure step by step, on both sides, and try it. The only cost of that is your time.