Steering clutch help...

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
AKmud
MC crawler
MC crawler

Steering clutch help...

Post by AKmud » Sat Sep 07, 2019 6:18 pm

Hi all, new guy here. I have a 1996 450G that has decided to stop turning left. I’ve adjusted the brakes and you can hear the engine pull down when you hit the left pedal, but the clutch obviously isn’t disengaging. I’m a pretty handy mechanic, but am new to heavy equipment and hydraulics. I have the manual and have been trying to sort my way through it, but I’m not exactly sure how to diagnose the issue. Can someone point me in the right direction on where to start?

Thanks in advance.

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Re: Steering clutch help...

Post by Jim B » Sun Sep 08, 2019 5:20 am

Welcome to the forum. I don't have a real answer for your problem but will throw a couple things out for thought.

First what manual(s) do you have? It looks like the manuals for a 450G are Operator's manual # OMT163974, Parts Catalog # PC2154, Technical Manual TM1403 - Test, and Technical Manual TM1404 - Repair. I am guessing you need the TM1403 for the testing/diagnostic procedures for your steering system, as that would be the manual that matches the Operation and Tests manual for my 450E (450Es have two technical manuals as well, the second is Repair). I find info on testing the steering clutches in the Power Train Operation and Tests section, sub section Tests, sub section Transmission Clutch and Steering Clutch Test using Lube Pressure.

You say you adjusted the brakes. Did you do the full adjustment of the linkages (steering valves) starting from the pedals? the valve has to release the pressure on the steering clutch before the brake applies. Sometimes it takes doing all the adjustments to get everything working in the proper timing sequence. The seal of the clutch piston leaking or a malfunctioning valve are a couple other possibilities.

Your machine is on the new side of the machines most here run. Hopefully one of the fellows with, or familiar with, a G will be along with more info. Also adding your general location to your profile sometimes helps if a need for parts or other resources comes up as someone may know of a place to check near you.
Jim

AKmud
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by AKmud » Sun Sep 08, 2019 10:35 am

Thanks Jim. I’m in NW Arkansas. As far as the brakes, I only adjusted the wheel at the brakes. Just a couple of clicks and it seems to have plenty of braking power. I could mash the pedal almost to the floor previously. I have the 1403 manual if I remember correctly.

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Jim B » Sun Sep 08, 2019 3:03 pm

You may want to make all the adjustments, in the order the book calls for to rule those out. There could be wear affecting the stroke of the steering valve such that the timing of clutch release to brake apply is off.