Hydraulic cylinder disassembly

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
AKmud
MC crawler
MC crawler

Hydraulic cylinder disassembly

Post by AKmud » Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:09 pm

I’m trying to rebuild the angle cylinders on my 450G and can’t figure out how to get the spanner nut off the end. Is there a trick to it? I thought it was threaded and would just turn out. For some reason mine is spinning but not coming out of the cylinder body. It broke loose fairly easy, but now just turns. Is there something else holding it? The other side has a 3/4” weld tack holding it to the cylinder body (I’m assuming to keep it from backing off) but the side I’m working on is clean. I don’t see a set screw or any kind of locking clip to remove.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Re: Hydraulic cylinder disassembly

Post by Jim B » Wed Sep 11, 2019 5:05 am

Good morning,

Why they didn't have all the technical info in one manual is a question but this is where the TM1404 Technical repair manual will come in handy. It has the actual repair procedures. You posted in the past you thought you had the test and operation manual TM1403.

Here is a link to the parts breakdown of an angle cylinder. https://partscatalog.deere.com/jdrc/sid ... gId/656843. There are several cylinders but they appear to use the same design. You will need to figure out which one is yours. If you click on the PC2154 at the top of the parts list it will take you to the index of the 450G parts catalog, if you want to check for other parts.

I don't have a 450G but between looking at this, and some on line photos, it appears this is a design where the rod guide to barrel nut threads on to the rod guide, not into the barrel. Removing the nut allows you to remove a backup ring located between the gland nut and the snap ring that actually folds the rod guide in. Is the ring, inside the nut, you see closest to the rod turning when you turn the nut? If so the rod guide may be turning with the nut.

Here is a video of a 510 stabilizer cylinder using the same rod guide set up as yours.https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=jo ... ORM=VRDGAR

AKmud
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by AKmud » Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:55 am

Thanks Jim, I’m beginning to think I should have bought the 1404 manual. I will have to check if the guide is turning with the nut. If it is, how do I get the nut loose?

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Jim B » Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:21 am

You will need both 1403 and 1404.

I don't think those are made so that you can reach thru the port and hold it with a punch in a hole. You can try putting and keeping some air pressure to that side of the cylinder. The rod will slide completely in if it hasn't, tap it in if it doesn't as you don't want it to move while you are working on it. The snap ring should keep the guide from sliding out, the nut and back up washer are to keep the guide tight to the snap ring as the rod moves. Once the nut is turning free release the air. You could put it on the blade and put hydraulic pressure to it to hold it. Watch out for oil coming out the other port if it is open and stay to the side, out of the line of fire, while the air (or hydraulic) pressure is on it.

AKmud
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by AKmud » Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:37 am

Ok, we can drop the pin back in at the blade and apply pressure. Hopefully that will work. I just ordered the 1404...

AKmud
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by AKmud » Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:46 pm

Putting pressure on the cylinder worked. Thanks for the advice!