450C Steering

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
Believer
MC crawler
MC crawler

450C Steering

Post by Believer » Thu Sep 12, 2019 6:01 am

Hoping someone can help me diagnose my 450C problem. Left brake in reverse doesn't work. In forward direction it does work, so I'm guessing the steering clutch is working.

When I got the crawler, I found the left brake linkage siezed in the braking position....not the hand lever but the mechanism the hand lever pushes to activate the brake band. So basically the brake was on all the time. I'm guessing this wore down the brake band and that is my problem.

I've freed up the brake mechanism and readjusted the clutch valve and brake according to the technical manual, but I still don't have left braking in reverse. Forward braking is ok.

Can anyone give me insight on this? My manual does not explain how to inspect the brake band. Thanks.

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: 450C Steering

Post by Lavoy » Thu Sep 12, 2019 10:25 am

If you are adjusting the brake, I am guessing you don't have a C model, that would have self adjusting wet clutches.
Lavoy
Parts and restoration for antique and late model John Deere crawlers.
Owner and moderator www.jdcrawlers.com

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Jim B » Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:39 am

As Lavoy posted, it doesn't sound like you have a C model. Post your full serial number and we can tell you what it is. You have say you have a technical manual. What is the publication name and number?.

As far as inspection, if it is a dry clutch/brake, you can look and try to see how thick the lining is, how rusty or greasy it and the drum are, and if the band moves when the lever is pulled. The real inspection would be to pull it out.

Believer
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by Believer » Sat Sep 14, 2019 6:13 am

It is a C. There is a procedure to set the self adjusting mechanism. I have 3 questions.

1. What do my symptoms suggest as the problem.

2. How does one inspect.the brake band.

3. How does one change the brake band.

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Jim B » Sat Sep 14, 2019 2:53 pm

Confirm the steering clutches are working properly by pulling the left steering lever, just enough to release the steering clutch, while pushing against something solid. Does the left track stop turning without the brake and the right one keeps driving? Do the same (load it so you can tell the clutch completely releases) in reverse to see if it acts the same. That should narrow the problem to just the brake. Someone else might have another thought.

I believe you will need to remove the band to inspect it as the band will be in an oil bath (wet steering clutches on a 450C). If you have John Deere technical manual TM1102 for a 450C I am surprised somewhere in it; it doesn’t have the procedures to do steering clutches/brakes with or without removing the final drive. I know the 450B manual has it as does the 450E manual. In the 450B manual it is in the general section at the front of the manual in the separation group, I would expect similar information in the 450C manual. You can find a free copy of the 450B manual at https://archive.org/details/John_Deere_Company (third one in the top row. You can save a copy to your computer if you want it for reference. The 450B may not be exactly the same but should be similar and give you a starting point.

Believer
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by Believer » Sun Sep 15, 2019 5:47 am

Jim B, very helpful, thank you.