House remodel question

Discuss non-crawler related issues here (keep it sane, please)
77 Ford
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

House remodel question

Post by 77 Ford » Thu Nov 07, 2019 8:10 am

I'm working on an old house that has blown in insulation. The ceiling sheet rock has alot of issues and needs to be replaced. I could obviously pull it all down and clean up the mess but I had an idea I wanted to bounce around. The house is framed with trusses and it's fairly old, they only used 3/8" rock in the ceiling and it's sagging between the trusses. I had an idea to screw 1x6" flat thru the rock into the trusses to help hold up the old rock and then add a new layer of 1/2" to the bottom. I would have what looks like a new ceiling without all the mess. The only concern I have is weight, you think that would be an issue? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
JD- 450C track loader
Serial #208336T

dtoots1
350 crawler
350 crawler

Re: House remodel question

Post by dtoots1 » Thu Nov 07, 2019 8:53 am

77ford,
that really depends on the condition of the trusses and whether they are made strong enough to take the additional load as well as your winter snow loads, with the blown in there you probably cannot see condition and usually they overfill and create problems especially at vent eaves and condensation creates problems. needs looked into..

1954cooter
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by 1954cooter » Thu Nov 07, 2019 2:23 pm

Hi 77 ford,
these are my thoughts on this.I'm not a carpenter but I've been around the block a few times dealing with blown in insulation.Is it fiberglass or cellulose?Cellulose seems to settle after time and doesn't have the R value it did when blown in.Sounds like its been there a while if sheet rock is sagged.Is it screwed to the trusses themselves or is it strapped?Personally I'd rip it all down and strap it 16" centers and put in new insulation.And put in true vents in the eves so air can move.More work but you'll never have to do it again.Just my thoughts.
Cooter

77 Ford
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by 77 Ford » Thu Nov 07, 2019 4:41 pm

Answer a few questions.

1) It's fiberglass and cellulose mixed.
2) It's a remodel project for a house I'm flipping, not my house.
3) It's mainly the mess I'm trying to avoid. I had to take down the ceiling in the garage to fix that framing and it just a huge mess to clean up.

It appears to me that some cities code double drywall in apartments, so It's not that uncommon. If you factor that original sheet rock was 3/8 and if I use modern 1/2" ultra light weight I think that only adds about 1.4 pounds per sq foot. It has the old school big gable vents on the north and south side, the eves are not even vented.

Thanks
JD- 450C track loader
Serial #208336T

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Thu Nov 07, 2019 4:45 pm

Around here, ceilings are normally 5/8", so I would think you would be okay.
Lavoy
Parts and restoration for antique and late model John Deere crawlers.
Owner and moderator www.jdcrawlers.com

CuttingEdge
2010 crawler
2010 crawler

Post by CuttingEdge » Tue Jan 07, 2020 2:20 pm

I would think if you strapped the ceiling every 16 inches, it would not matter because that is no different then having real framing every 16 inches like in new construction.

As for the weight, it seldom is a problem in a house.

For instance I have concrete countertops (homemade) and people have asked me if I reinforced my cabinets below because of it. I explain that I did not have too. Sure a cubic yard of concrete weighs some 3000 pounds, but it is also 27 cubic feet. If you divide that out by 1-1/2 inches per square foot, it is only 13 pounds per square foot. Even a cheap ole Home Depot cabinet could tolerate a concrete countertop.

Fast Fact: A cubic foot of granite weighs the exact same weight as a cubic foot of aluminum.
I have no intention of traveling to my grave in a well manicured body; instead I am going to slide into heaven with a big power turn, totally wore out with busted knuckles, jump off my dozer loudly yelling, Woo Hoo, another Shepard has just arrived!