450c track loader fuel issue

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
fullsizejohn
40C crawler
40C crawler

450c track loader fuel issue

Post by fullsizejohn » Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:45 am

Greetings, searched aroundhavent quite found what I'm looking for...
I recently picked up a 450c track loader. Seems to be a pretty good machine as it has lived on a farm for the last 20 years. Anyway it's now on another farm clearing some grown up low grounds. I've put maybe 20 hrs on it and I recently ran it low on fuel. It sputtered once so I cut it right off. Added fuel, started right up and ran with some intermittent surging. Ok no sweat that will clear up. Well after about 10 mins the surging all of the sudden got much worse. Worse to the point that I had to park it. Still running but surging and missing. Well my first thought is I picked up something low in the tank and now the fuel filter is clogged
. I'm new to diesels. Anything I need to know about diesels before I pop this filter off? Is there a way to bleed the system? Thanks!

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Re: 450c track loader fuel issue

Post by Jim B » Thu Nov 07, 2019 6:10 pm

Good evening,

You should contact Lavoy (postmaster@jdcrawlers.com) and see about purchasing an Operator's Manual and then a Service/Technical Manual for your machine. The Operator's manual will be the most helpful for these type questions along the line of normal maintenance. The Service/Technical Manual will be want as you get into repairs. Manuals will easily save more than their up front cost. You can buy a parts catalog as well or you can use the free on line JD ones at https://jdparts.deere.com/servlet/com.d ... andingPage.

In the meantime to help you get the filter changed and bled here are the instructions from a 450E, the filters are the same as I remember it. The scan isn't great but it should help. When you start, it turn it up off idle, maybe 1000 rpms, and run it for a few minutes to clear any air.

Last edited by Jim B on Sun Nov 10, 2019 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

welder
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by welder » Sun Nov 10, 2019 3:06 am

There’s also an in line fuel filter (on a 455E ) it’s inside the fuel tank where the fuel line attaches. Had to replace mine about a month ago.
Welder
Welder

fullsizejohn
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by fullsizejohn » Sun Nov 10, 2019 3:07 pm

So yesterday I went to the machine to move it to a good spot to work on it. Ran like a champ for about 5 mins....then right back to heavy sputtering. Cut it off, popped the fuel filter off and installed new one. Went to manually prime the with the fuel transfer pump and could only get spurts of fuel, could never get the filter full. Yes I did bump the engine a few times to make sure I had the pump in position. Almost acts like I'm not getting fuel through the line to the transfer pump. ( and after it sat 2-3 days fuel filled the line allowing it to run great until the line went intermittent)I did get access to a service manual. And as stated by Welder above, I see the filter on the tank diagram. Think that could be clogged? Is it a screen or a replaceable paper style filter?? Thanks!

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Jim B » Sun Nov 10, 2019 4:05 pm

That filter should be a screen, either metal or plastic; not paper. A 450C should have a fuel tank sump bowl and drain line. If you haven't found that you access it from the rear, under the tank. Get the drain (should have a tube attached to it) open and catch what comes out of it. That might give you an idea of the condition of the fuel in the bottom of the tank.

When you work the priming lever on the transfer pump the fuel does often come in spurts, not a smooth flow. It can take quite a bit of pumping to fill the filter. Not saying you don't have a flow blockage just that it may take a few minutes even when things are right.

Try it with the fuel cap off the tank. If it runs ok with the cap loose/off the vent may be plugged. I believe there is a vent line inside the 450C tank. Look down the filler neck there may be a small opening, besides the tank dipstick hole, in the ring that holds the fill screen. If there is, it is a vent tube that runs down and out the bottom of the tank. Those sometimes get plugged and the tank can go to a vacuum if the cap is tight and the pump can't pull fuel from the tank. I used a length of TIG filler wire to open the one on my 450E up.

fullsizejohn
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by fullsizejohn » Mon Nov 11, 2019 4:06 pm

Well, pulled the tank petcock...nothing, so I knew I was on the right track. Unscrewed the screen. It looked like it was covered in dark chocolate peanut butter! Blew it out, reinstalled lines, bled air from system and she is running great again. Thanks for the help!

B Town
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by B Town » Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:41 pm

Is the fuel tank sump and drain line working? Glad your rig is running again, but if the sump isn’t purged occasionally the screen may have problems again.

fullsizejohn
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by fullsizejohn » Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:17 pm

I will take a look at that. Thanks!