350 transmission issues

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
Chris_S
40C crawler
40C crawler

350 transmission issues

Post by Chris_S » Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:15 am

Looking for some advice . It works fine in first gear but when I put it into second it sounds like a bucket of bolts and lunges . When I put it in third gear and release the clutch it pops right out of third. I realize it is in the transmission but need some advice on how to remove it . Not many videos online but from what I understand it comes out the rear end and it is behind the fuel tank . Looking for confirmation on removing transmission and any advice you might have on rebuilding. It is also equipped with a winch so I will have to remove that too I’m assuming

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Re: 350 transmission issues

Post by Jim B » Tue Dec 03, 2019 12:23 pm

Welcome to the forum Chris.

It sounds like you don't have the John Deere service/technical manual for your machine. You need to get one. It will give you the info you need, videos on line might help, but they are often incomplete and sometimes not totally correct, IMO. Contact Lavoy, owner of this site, he has a line of manuals he sells (free service and operator's manuals are almost non-existent) and can likely fix you up with them. Send him an email (postmaster@jdcrawlers.com) or give him a call (701-361-1006 during CST business hours). Is yours a straight, B, C, or D series? Dozer or loader? Does yours have a reverser or just the gear transmission? Always have your complete machine serial number available, as that can make a difference on parts, and manuals, at times. Lavoy can also help you with advice and many parts from his store, shop, and sources.

I think you will find it easiest to get to the transmission by starting at the front and removing the engine and working back to it, the winch should not have to be removed. There was a recent discussion on this board (about 9 or 10 down) about removing a 350B reverser you might review.

You might add your general location to your profile, you never know there might be a member here close by you that might be able to help you or point you to resources close to you, if needed.

You can access the John Deere parts catalogs free on line at https://jdparts.deere.com/servlet/com.d ... anguage=19. Do a model search, put 350 in the model search box, and it will give you a list to chose from. If yours is a straight 350 you should use catalog PC921. The dozer blades and loaders were separate catalogs for those units.

Jason37756
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by Jason37756 » Tue Dec 03, 2019 2:00 pm

If I understand things correctly and it were my 350 I would remove the transmission cover plate and take a look. You should be able to remove the input shaft from above and inspect the output shaft from there.

To do the repair you will most likely need to split the crawler at the point where the transmission bolts to the reverser/clutch housing... depending on what you have.

The winch and transmission/finals are heavy so a frontal assault may be in order for this one depending on your lifting options.

Something caused the failure so it would be a good opportunity to replace/adjust the clutch and pressure plate if it has that.

One final note.... getting the plate off requires removing the seat, canopy, and fuel tank. As well as all the linkeage and hoses...finally remove the plate bolts and your in. Seems like a lot but it only takes a few hours to get in there.

Chris_S
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by Chris_S » Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:11 pm

Thanks for the fast replies and great information. Mine is a 350 CE with reverser. I have purchased a manual already and have looked through it but there is so many people with hands-on experience out there I thought I would ask. As for lifting capabilities, I have none. I plan on building a steel A frame for the heavy lifting. Also, im in Alaska which ads to the difficulty level. Shipping for parts is very expensive and not many places to buy parts around here without ordering from the lower 48. Looking forward to any other input you may have and I will keep you all updated

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Jim B » Wed Dec 04, 2019 7:08 am

Good morning Chris,

There are several fellows that are on here that live in Alaska, so you are not alone up there. If you add a general area of where you are as your location in your profile; it will show up every time you post and people will see where you are.

Just to clarify your model: Your serial number looks like this "350C E 000000 T". If so that makes it a C series 350 with an inside blade. If that is correct, it will be best to identify it as a 350C when you post so people are thinking of the correct series, since there are some differences between the series of the 350 model.

I think your Technical Manual (TM1115 for the 350C), like most, describes removing the engine and working back to the HLR and transmission. I believe that method is less work than going at it from the rear. With a bit of work you can access and remove the top cover of the HLR and transmission to check the shafts, bearings, and gears to get an idea of what is happening, as Jason37756 posted, but I don't think you can make the repairs without removing the engine. Depending what you find you may not need to remove the transmission, you can work on it in place. Build your frame and keep us posted. Good Luck.

Jim

Jason37756
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by Jason37756 » Wed Dec 04, 2019 7:43 am

Disregard most of what I said...lol.

I have zero experience with that model. Other than doing an engine swop from a 350 C.

Good luck.

Chris_S
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by Chris_S » Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:49 am

Hi Jim B

Yeah, the model number is 350CE and the serial number appears below that. I was told by previous owners that the E stands for extended track however I have rebuild most of the undercarriage with no reference to the E and all parts fit. Im really not sure what the E stands for.

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Jim B » Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:58 am

Go to the JDparts on line catalog for the 350C. Below the index of the parts catalog, there is an introduction section, read through that. It has breakdowns of the serial number information for the crawler, engine, etc.