Vandalism guard and tool tray insert for the left box

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
B Town
350 crawler
350 crawler

Vandalism guard and tool tray insert for the left box

Post by B Town » Tue Jan 07, 2020 9:11 am

I am looking for a few final pieces to complete my 1977 450C trackloader. I would like to buy the vandalism guard for the instrument panel and the tool tray that fits inside the left box, above the battery.

Any help or leads are appreciated.
Best regards, Bruce

oldmetalmender
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Re: Vandalism guard and tool tray insert for the left box

Post by oldmetalmender » Wed Jan 08, 2020 12:22 pm

Hi Bruce,

I recently made this for a guys rare factory "super" jeep CJ. I had a good example to copy. I see the cover in the parts catalog. And it looks like a front panel and two side panels spot welded on. I wanted one of the covers mainly for protecting the gauges from UV light and fading. If someone that had one could provide measurements and especially the gauge of the steel body and the gauge of the slotted flag that slides over the throttle lever. I might be able to reproduce two of them. Same with the tool box. Hopefully it is not to thick for my box and pan brake. I do have a 1920's bender that does not care how thick metal is, but it has limitations. It took me close to three days to make the floorpan trans cover. So I can't say it will be a bargain. One off projects always take longer. I am also pretty busy trying to catch up with some projects around here. So if you are interested and not in any type of a hurry, I might be able to make something decent. I have my 450C for a fit test. The key here is measurements from someone that has one. Pictures would be a total bonus.
Anyway.... Happy new year.
Al.
1969 JD 400 backhoe
1975 JD 450C crawler SOLD to a neighbor
Beloved wife Elizabeth Ann Temple murdered by covid on October 19th 2021

B Town
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by B Town » Wed Jan 08, 2020 1:32 pm

Hello oldmetalmender,

I had a near NOS example.

Last summer I blew a boom cylinder hose while on a project (out in the middle of no where). I inspected all the hoses, and they were at the end of service cycle. I choose to replace all the hoses. I was frustrated and got in a hurry. I rolled the bucket forward as I reversed, to help raise the boom and provide more access. Well I forgot I had placed the cover on top of the track. Guess what happens when the cover falls off the back of the track, while you are backing up.

Story is, I still have the cover. But it resembles a taco. I have considered pounding it back out.

The cover is constructed of two sheet metal components. One is the flat face, easy enough. The second it the same thickness sheet metal. But it is bent into an angle iron, 90 degree. It is the length of the perimeter of the face. The angle piece has pie wedges cut out so it can wrap around the face.

It doesn’t cover the throttle. The edge piece has a small foot that sticks in the slot the throttle lever occupies. One the left slide there is a slot cut in the edge to fit over the small eyelet. It is secured with a small padlock.

I thought I would try to find the tool tray and a vandalism cover, but would consider making/build repos.

Best regards,
Bruce

oldmetalmender
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by oldmetalmender » Wed Jan 08, 2020 8:24 pm

OK it is a plus you have one even though it got flattened. If you sent it to me to either straighten or reproduce, you would get it back. I am not flaky with stuff like that. I have a few metal working tools... :wink: This is what I had in the parts book. I see there were two versions. Depending on serial number.

Let me know if you want to move ahead on it. And if you find one, and there are more available, please let me know. While I could make one, time seems short these days.
:)
1969 JD 400 backhoe

DrLoch
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by DrLoch » Thu Jan 09, 2020 7:37 am

Nice fabrication work Al.
450C Track Loader
291457T

oldmetalmender
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by oldmetalmender » Thu Jan 09, 2020 11:55 am

DrLoch wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 7:37 am
Nice fabrication work Al.
Thank you. I am a total amateur but convinced it is only metal and it can be persuaded. :mrgreen:
1969 JD 400 backhoe

oldmetalmender
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by oldmetalmender » Thu Jan 09, 2020 11:59 am

Bruce, Take a look in this picture. I believe it is the tool tray you were looking for. They probably only want 500 bucks for it. A total bargain. :wink: :mrgreen:

https://www.vanderhaags.com/detailview. ... t=24767785
1969 JD 400 backhoe

B Town
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by B Town » Thu Jan 09, 2020 9:46 pm

Nice eye spy catch. Those guys are always very pricey. But they are not far from me. I’m in West Central Iowa. And they are in North West Iowa. Maybe I will give them a call.

I would like to work some deal out that would benefit us and maybe others. That is regarding the vandal guard and tool tray.

oldmetalmender
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by oldmetalmender » Fri Jan 10, 2020 10:39 am

What are your thoughts on that? I am wondering if the demand would be there.
1969 JD 400 backhoe

B Town
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by B Town » Fri Jan 10, 2020 6:09 pm

I would be more than happy to lend my panel to you for measurements. I would like my original panel back. I would like one of your new panels (modeled after my original). I would pay you $$$. We would just need to agree on a price. If I can find a tool tray or measurements, I would like 1-2 trays.

It really seems odd, I can’t find these pieces. According to the literature, these pieces were standard equipment with the C series. There should be LOTS of them, but alas not.

I feel the demand would be quite low and slow. Oneyes and twoses. I reproduce the steel upper radiator pipe used on the 67-72 Chevy 4x4 trucks. They sell quite slowly. Mandrel bends, hose beads, etc

Best regards, Bruce

oldmetalmender
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by oldmetalmender » Sat Jan 11, 2020 12:29 am

Well cool, another metal fabricator. :D I could make at least two. The first one is always the most time consuming. Measuring and pattern making, test fitting, adjustments, etc. I would be pretty clueless as to how much one would be worth. Or what people would be comfortable paying. But you and I both want one, that is a start. Yes it is odd they all seem to be missing. If you want Bruce, send me the crushed one, I will make 2 and send you one and the crushed one back. I am respectful with things like that. You would get it back and not 3 years from now either. I make several full size jeep parts. I am the only one doing it. When someone emails me for something, I make sure to get them their parts as soon as I am able. That is important to me.
I really need to knock out the majority of the repairs on my 450C. If I could get most all of the work done, I would feel comfortable taking some time to get them made. I am hoping for not more than 3-4 weeks out. There is lots to get done this winter. But I welcome projects like this. To me they are a great break from my to do list. If you want to do this, send me a pm and I will get you my address, phone number and email.
Cheers,
Al
1969 JD 400 backhoe

B Town
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by B Town » Mon Jan 13, 2020 12:03 pm

PM sent to oldmetalmender.

I agree to send my damaged vandalism guard to you to be measured as a pattern. As above, I would like this original cover and a repo cover sent back to me. I will pay you for the repo cover. I would like to agree on a reasonable $$ for your time and new vandalism guard.

Best regards, Bruce

oldmetalmender
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by oldmetalmender » Mon Jan 13, 2020 5:55 pm

Hi Bruce,
I just finished a PM and power went out again.... Third time in 24 hours. I just retyped everything and sent you my contact info and a rough guess on what it should take to create a new cover. I hope it works for you.
Cheers,
Al
1969 JD 400 backhoe

B Town
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by B Town » Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:36 pm

PM received and reply sent.

Bruce

B Town
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by B Town » Sat Jan 18, 2020 11:36 am

Hello Al,

I have shipped the vandalism guard via USPS. PM sent with tracking number, said to arrive 1/21.

Keep posted,
Bruce