350 reverser

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
CuttingEdge
2010 crawler
2010 crawler

Re: 350 reverser

Post by CuttingEdge » Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:51 am

The pressure control springs under the reverser case.

I ultimately ended up what you did, but it was hard keeping the springs from kicking out as I tried to lever-up the hex cap. That is why I drilled and tapped a set screw that retains that inner spring so when you slide everything into place, it stays together.

My tractor is working really good now. I might even put on the tin work and nose cone on when I get a minute. (It kind of looks stupid without it).

Now all I got to do is a pile of line boring on the blade to take out the slop...and rebuild the track adjusters, and fix the leaking hoses on my skidder, and buy a new set of tires chains for the skidder, and rebuild the pivot points on the skidder...and fix the leaking axle seal on my farm tractor...(the list never ends)
I have no intention of traveling to my grave in a well manicured body; instead I am going to slide into heaven with a big power turn, totally wore out with busted knuckles, jump off my dozer loudly yelling, Woo Hoo, another Shepard has just arrived!

350strait
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by 350strait » Sun Oct 15, 2017 6:02 am

I know the feeling, now that I sort of have the reverser working, my next project is an in frame overhaul of the engine (used 4 qts oil in 3 hours) then look at the blade for more cracked welds, replace the tilt cylinder, replace packings on track adjusters, etc. Then its off to my old Ford 445 frontend loader then the backhoe. I welded a short piece of steel rod to that center plug to hold the shims in place. lol
JD 350 strait, Kubota B-21 (TLB), Ford 445 (TLB)

CuttingEdge
2010 crawler
2010 crawler

Post by CuttingEdge » Sun Oct 15, 2017 6:35 am

I use a Microsoft Excel Spreadsheet to keep track of my equipment and repairs now.

It lists all my equipment, then every repair that is needed to get them back to 100% shape. That really does not have any merit as it is just overwhelming wen you run the old stuff I do.

So I went two steps further; through a series of questions based on percentages for answers, it prioritizes the equipment on my farm. For instance my farm tractor is more important than my bulldozer, but my bulldozer is more important than my skidder. The same for all the implements. Then a I prioritized the repair jobs themselves. All this generates what I call "work orders". Basically it lists the most important job to do based on what the equipment does on my farm, and how critical the repair is.

This is broken down into:
Cost: Sometimes I just don't have the money to fix something because it costs so much money, or alternatively I got say $250 and can quickly see the highest repair priority I can do.

Priority: This is self explanatory. It is what needs to be fixed the soonest based on use and critical repair
Date: This is just when I hope the repair will take place. For instance a plow should have new shares on it by the spring when I need to use it
Time: This is how long it will take to do the repair. Sometimes I get lazy and and chase Katie around the house annoying her, so my answer to being more productive is to see how much time I might have in my schedule, then look at my work order page and try and find a repair that might fit into a 3 hour window. Like this afternoon. between church and when I have to watch my daughter, I can start working on a cracked hydraulic cylinder on my skidder.

If it seems I have it all together, I assure you I do not. I just know God holds us accountable; for our money as well as time. Sometimes I squander that time, not being as productive as I should. I do not want to stand before him and have him say, "I gave you 385,440 hours on earth and you wasted 2356 hours of that time by watching TV, or chasing Katie around the house, or..." he has allowed me this equipment and I need to take care of it as best I can, with time and money. I would love to have newer stuff, but that is not what I have been given. What I do have, I must be content with.

It has taken me 43 years to learn that.
I have no intention of traveling to my grave in a well manicured body; instead I am going to slide into heaven with a big power turn, totally wore out with busted knuckles, jump off my dozer loudly yelling, Woo Hoo, another Shepard has just arrived!

CuttingEdge
2010 crawler
2010 crawler

Post by CuttingEdge » Sun Oct 15, 2017 6:46 am

If you want that Excel Spreadsheet, just let me know and I will send it to you (or anyone on here). I developed it so I can share it all I want.

I actually use something very similar to manage my farm too; from managing my flock of sheep to ensuring my fields are improving, so that everything is prioritized so I do not waste so much time in my life.

Jason37756
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by Jason37756 » Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:15 pm

Old post here, but I'm getting ready to take on a 350 B with this very same issue. Are the mentioned suggestions working for you guys?

gaspumpsam
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by gaspumpsam » Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:14 am

Does the reverser have its own dedicated oil pump, or is it part of the hyd system.? I wonder with all the problems you guys have with reverser’s, if a start would be to have the pump checked for gpm and pressure at a low pump rpm, to insure you have proper pressure at normal operating RPM , which usually isn’t full RPM .
My thoughts are- if the system( reverser) requires 120 psi to operate normally ( I don’t know what the pressure is supposed to be, just using 120 as a reference), then it should have this pressure at low idle, hot, or very close.( with proper oil in system) a worn pump will not produce enough gpm, at low rpm to supply system requirements, hence low pressure and resulting problems, usually starting with slipping clutches, and hotter than normal oil.

Just my thoughts :?: :?:

Jason37756
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by Jason37756 » Thu Jan 16, 2020 6:51 pm

Yeah it has it's own hydraulic system. The previous owner states that the large o rings (piston rings??) were not replaced, on either clutch assembly, when he rebuilt the reverser. He feels like when the fluid get hot is bypasses the assembly and looses pressure.

Moves perfect when cold and for about 1.5 hours then it does little to nothing until it sets and cools off. I find it hard to believe that both forward and reverse rings have exactly the same issues. Seems the issue would have to be more universal to effect both forward and reverse.

I think my plan is to...
- run it and see what it does
- check my pressures
- ensure proper fluid...thickness
- move on to a mechanical issue

As little as I run a dozer if I can get an hour out of it without a major repair I am ok with letting it set for a cool off.

Jason

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Jim B » Thu Jan 16, 2020 7:27 pm

Hi Jason,

I think your on the right track to run it some and check it out yourself. See how it physically operates and then do the pressure checks. You might drain it and change the sump filter, the JD price I see is about $8.00 (JD # AR26350, Wix # 51242, NAPA # 1242). That might make a difference, as was noted by Cutting Edge on his. You should be fine with a quality UTHF like TSC's Traveler Premium which meets the Hy-Gard spec (JDM J20C). You shouldn't need a low viscosity oil, I run the TSC UTHF in my machines year round, just allow them to warm up some before working them.

As you go forward I would suggest you start a new post so what you find on yours doesn't get mixed up with things in this old post. We all have the ability to read past things in an old post like this and forget which machine is being talked about.

Good luck with it.

Jim

Jason37756
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by Jason37756 » Tue Jan 28, 2020 9:31 am

I was able to raise the clutch pressure by adjusting the orifice out...took 4 complete turns but I got my pressure up to 75 psi. They're may be a clogg in the orifice. Anybody ever clean one? I saw where gregjo asked the same question.

The service manual says to tighten the orifice "in slightly". I did this and my pressure dropped to under 30 psi and the reverser never engaged. Am I missing something? I turned it out and got higher pressur???

Jason

Jason37756
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by Jason37756 » Wed Jan 29, 2020 5:06 pm

Gonna start answering my own questions...lol

The orifice is two parts and both can be removed with a short flathead screwdriver. The needle valve comes out first and then the orifice. Pretty easy job to remove and clean.

Also I was able to get my pressure up to 90 psi and the reverser worked great. Still gonna drain and replace the fluid and filter, but I have a few leaks to square away first.

Jason