350B Bell housing oil leak

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
J.Catalano
MC crawler
MC crawler

350B Bell housing oil leak

Post by J.Catalano » Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:17 pm

Hi all,

I have a 350B Diesel that developed an oil leak at the bell housing. There is a cotter pin drain hole that has a constant leak ( see attached image)
Does this typically mean a bad rear oil seal on the engine? If so that means pulling the engine but the service manual is very vague on instruction.
What is the best method for pulling it? I looked quick and I didn't see any front motor mounts and I assume the rear would be attached with bolts thru the transmission?

Thanks in advance,

Jay

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Re: 350B Bell housing oil leak

Post by Jim B » Fri Feb 14, 2020 3:06 pm

Welcome to the site.

It is common to have a cotter pin installed loosely in clutch housing weep holes. The intent is the pin will wiggle around as the machine operates and keep the hole open. The oil could be from the rear main or from the reverser/transmission area inside the housing. Often the engine oil will be black and reverser/transmission oil will be lighter and brown/amber colored. The best way to get there is to start at the nose and work back.

Be advised that the new rear main seals require a special tool to install them properly. Read through oldmetalmender's post about his 450C head gasket (which has ended up being a bit more than that). If I read it right the 350b parts catalog on line subs the 350b rear main seal to the same rear main seal as his now.

Just to confirm the manual you have, do you have John Deere technical manual TM1032 or a different manual? Does your machine have a reverser, some did not.

J.Catalano
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by J.Catalano » Sat Feb 15, 2020 9:33 am

The color of the leaking oil does have a brown tint to it and after checking the transmission dipstick it came up empty. Where would this leak commonly be coming from? I assume I will still need to pull the engine to access the leak on the trans?

Edit: This machine does have the reverser.

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Jim B » Sat Feb 15, 2020 10:11 am

There are gaskets and seals related to the reverser and its pump inside that housing. It might be just the pump or it might be the front clutch cover the pump mounts on. You will have to see if you can spot any wash marks to help confirm where the leak might be. I would consider doing reseal/replace gaskets on everything in there while it is apart. I would get the correct JD gaskets, not use RTV sealant or such.

Do you have the TM1032 manual? Between it and the parts catalog they should have info to give you an idea of what is in there and what could be involved in resealing the pump and components.

J.Catalano
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by J.Catalano » Mon Feb 17, 2020 10:26 am

Yes, I have the TM1032 manual. At this point I have the engine ready to be pulled but I am wondering if the front frame assembly can be pulled with the engine? I have removed both the radiator and the hydro pump and it looks to me like it would only be 4 bolts that hold the engine to the bell housing and it should be free.

Once the engine is removed should I be able to access the gaskets and seals that you mentioned or will I need to remove another section of the powertrain?

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Jim B » Mon Feb 17, 2020 5:47 pm

I would say the front frame (the hyd pump and radiator mount on) can be left on the engine during removal.

You should be at the reverser pump and gaskets that would leak into that flywheel area when the engine is pulled. Be sure to look the rear main over well you could have leaks in both areas.

J.Catalano
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by J.Catalano » Thu Feb 20, 2020 11:53 am

Edit: I answered my own question. Sorry for the post