1010 dozer woes

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
Barkoguru
MC crawler
MC crawler

1010 dozer woes

Post by Barkoguru » Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:52 am

First I’d like to say thanks for having me, I’m pondering buying a 1010 dozer, 1965 vintage, six way blade, diesel engine, this machine runs like a top but it has something going on in either the reverser or tranny, with the engine running when you release the clutch pedal it stalls the engine out like the transmission is either in two gears at once or is locked up, I have not looked into the tranny since I don’t own the machine but the owner says it rolls free on the tracks when he moved it to its current location, I will only buy this machine if I could get it cheap enough to feel comfortable tinkering with, if purchased and repaired it would be mostly used for very light work, pushing sawdust around my mill and maybe some light brush and dirt work, mostly I just like tinkering and using older equipment, I’ll add I’ve been wrenching on equipment for 30 plus years so tearing into this machine wouldn’t be an issue, parts availability and price would be a possible deal breaker though, if I understand correctly the reverser is hydraulic and pressure is controlled by the clutch pedal to disengage the reverser, so there is no clutch disc on the engine correct ? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Re: 1010 dozer woes

Post by Jim B » Sat Feb 15, 2020 7:14 am

Personally I would be looking for a 350 or 450, C series or newer with wet steering clutches. Those will still have things to tinker on. I think even the straight 350/450 and the B series would be better for your needs and most parts are more readily available used.

Not to say the 1010s were not good, but they were the change over from the old two cylinders and the new diesel engine had its problems. They can be expensive to work on and parts are getting harder to come by for them. There are not as many used parts available due to the small number of them built.

I doubt the problem with the crawler you are looking at is as simple as stuck in two gears. My thought is that would lock the tracks as well as stall the engine, unless it destroyed something between the lock up and differential which would allow the tracks to be free. Your project could start with a major expensive repair.

Hopefully others will be along with their thoughts for you.

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Jim B » Sat Feb 15, 2020 7:23 am

If you don't know about John Deere's on line parts catalogs; you can go to https://jdparts.deere.com/servlet/com.d ... andingPage and get an idea of the parts and drive arrangements available for different machines by studying the parts catalogs. Put 1010 in the model search box and search. That will get you a list of machines, with 1010 in the title, and their catalogs. You want to look at the 1010 crawler tractors, PC727. It will show you the parts for a machine with reverser as well as one without the reverser. HTH

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Sat Feb 15, 2020 8:36 am

I agree with the NOT stuck in two gears, I would lean more towards reverser locked up. Either way, likely a spendy fix, factor that into purchase price. Without further info, that to me is a $1000 crawler. Think of it this way, it is a $1000 crawler the way it sits. If it is just STUCK in two gears, the owner would just UNSTICK it and ask several thousand more.
Lavoy
Parts and restoration for antique and late model John Deere crawlers.
Owner and moderator www.jdcrawlers.com

Barkoguru
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by Barkoguru » Sat Feb 15, 2020 4:10 pm

Well I offered the guy a thousand dollars for it since it cranked and ran good but he seemed a little insulted so I just left it at that, I believe he paid too much for a broken dozer and its still rubbing him a little raw, I also believe the reverser is trashed and will have to be repaired, I don’t mind the labor aspect of the job but it has the potential to turn into a major money pit so I offered what I felt comfortable, I had a 2010 many years ago and messed around and sold it so I thought maybe this would be a neat little project.