40c Project

Show us pictures of your JD crawler and attachments.
Billhc83
420 crawler
420 crawler

40c Project

Post by Billhc83 » Fri Dec 06, 2019 9:36 pm

Hi I'd like to thank those of you who have already help me get started with this project. I inherited this crawler from my late father who had it kicking around ever since I can remember. Anyway I have pretty much tore it into pieces and have started the long tenuous process of assessing whats here and gathering what I need. The blade assembly is a homemade jobber by the looks of it, looks like its made well enough but I'm not sure I will put it back on. I found another locally but they are not giving it away :P Of course I've already come across plenty of things that need attention, and lots of quesions...lol
I have started cleaning up the frame pieces and disassembling the transmission. A couple bearings in the transmission were in need of replacement and on order, along with the oil seals for the pto shaft and the hubs.

I'm going to try to use this thread as I continue on and hopefully some of my questions might be answered.

What is the preferred grease or type of grease to use in the bottom of the throw out bearing assembly?

There were a few paper gaskets I think around the hub/quills on the transmission and one on the rear cover. Are these available to purchase? or would a decent gasket maker be sufficient for these.

Are there any bearings in the trans that need to be packed with grease? My trans was so full of mud and leaves and sticks and rocks ect most everything needed soaked in the cleaner. I assume they are taken care of by the trans lube.

A few pics of disassembly

bent
440 crawler
440 crawler

Re: 40c Project

Post by bent » Sat Dec 07, 2019 8:40 am

Nice pics. Look forward to your rebuild. I spied that Beach roller cabinet too!

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Sat Dec 07, 2019 10:36 am

I should have any gasket you need either on hand, or available. Along with bearings and seals, and lots of other stuff. I have a 40 in the shop coming apart right now.
Lavoy
Parts and restoration for antique and late model John Deere crawlers.
Owner and moderator www.jdcrawlers.com

Billhc83
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by Billhc83 » Sat Dec 07, 2019 1:44 pm

That roller cabinet I bought used a while back and it's my favorite out of the 3 I use - a real classic. The trouble with these sorts of projects are you are always getting new tools for different jobs. Things you never knew you needed...lol

I picked up my paint yesterday from the dealership.....I think it is possibly gold plated :mrgreen: . Its going to return to its proper yellow. Probably not the best unit to try to bring back but it has a bit of sentimental value. I got the next 30 years to finish.....that's what I tell my wife anyway. :D

I will maybe try to call you Lavoy and get a full order of things I know I need.

420CrawlerHoller
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by 420CrawlerHoller » Sat Dec 07, 2019 6:08 pm

hell yeah! pulling for you man. my pop left me a 420 crawler that didnt need a whole lot to get in shape but it had sentimental value. totally understand your motives. cant wait to see it banging away again.
1957 420C Crawler / 1950(?) Massey Fergussen Tractor / 1952 International Harvester TD-24

Billhc83
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by Billhc83 » Wed Feb 26, 2020 1:28 pm

A bit of progress. One step forward 10 back it seems....

gus
2010 crawler
2010 crawler

Post by gus » Sat Apr 11, 2020 9:35 am

How's this project going???

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Sat Apr 11, 2020 7:54 pm

Just an fyi, where the sideframes bolt to the steering clutch housings, those have to be tapered nuts lije a lug nut. If not, they will eventually hammer the holes bigger and break something.
Lavoy

Billhc83
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by Billhc83 » Thu May 14, 2020 3:18 pm

Good to know Lavoy I have indeed used used regular bolts. I know you likely have these but given the many miles between us would think a dealership have these? My guess is that the wearing has already happened at some point. The side frames already have been patched and welded where the bolt to the housing.

I have been making some progress, I have also been having some silly set backs here and there. I have a couple pictures I'll take some more when I get a chance.

I'll post a couple more in a bit.

Here's a question. I have this engine that is has been rebuilt and is said to have only a few hours on it before the rest of the machine it was on went poo poo. BUT I have not see it run. I am working towards getting things back together to test it and make sure it works. At what point of assembly should I test this thjng. IMO the sooner the better....

Billhc83
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by Billhc83 » Thu May 14, 2020 3:49 pm

I guess I am going to start working on some of the wiring. The electrical system that is on it has been converted to 12 v so I guess I'll stick with that for now. Waiting on some gauges. Still have to test the hour meter to see if it actually works...does anyone know of it will run on 12v?

Need to get the front clip cleaned up and painted....what's the risk in trying to fire this thing up momentarily with no cooling system.....I've done it lots of times with cars not sure about these engines....I'll probably just wait until I get all that ready to go. I'm searching for an air cleaner as that was not included....anyone know of the one from my 40c is the same?(it's a 420 engine) Anywho on goes the battle...

Billhc83
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by Billhc83 » Fri May 15, 2020 8:38 am

Lavoy I have been looking at the parts diagrams for this thing.....are the studs you mention to thread into the brake housing itself?

I have a feeling the damage has already been done....I bagged and labelled all the bolts when I took it apart...they were just regular ft nuts and bolts.

B Town
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by B Town » Fri May 15, 2020 9:18 am

I believe Lavoy is referring to your use of flat nuts. I think he wants you to replace the flat nuts with a tapered nut to prevent movement in that area. I don’t see any damage in your photos, yet.

Best regards, Bruce

Billhc83
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by Billhc83 » Fri May 15, 2020 10:19 am

Right you are.....it's says "special nut" on the parts diagram. It also shows a stud but I can't Imagine where it would thread into. Anyway I'll see if I can track down the nuts.....thank you for the clarification on that it's much appreciated.

B Town
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by B Town » Fri May 15, 2020 11:24 am

Your studs are already in place. They are the upper and lower studs at the rear side of the frame rail, that attaches to the final drives. All you need is to remove your flat nut and lock washer and put in the special tapered nuts on the upper and lower (on both left and right frame rails).

Hope this helps, Bruce

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Fri May 15, 2020 9:42 pm

I have the nuts andvstuds in stock.
Lavoy