440 ic gas 12v conversion

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
gaspumpsam
440 crawler
440 crawler

440 ic gas 12v conversion

Post by gaspumpsam » Sun Mar 08, 2020 9:52 am

When rebuild is getting to electrical stage, I plan on changing to 12v neg grd- so batt ( side posts)??- convert starter to 12v, parts change, (Lavoy) or is there a 12v starter from a newer machine that bolts on? Gen to alternator, regulator, gauges ? Key switch and master batt cutoff switch? IGN coil to 12v

Contemplating installing a reverser- but seeing all posts on here regarding reverser’s and the many apparent problems, after new plates and seals etc, would it be helpful to increase operating pressure( I take it reverser clutches are oil pressure applied)
or would it be better to not put it in?

Steering clutches I understand earlier ones had 6 fibre and 7 metal(?) and newer 440’s had 8 and 8 ? And a different drum, but did the shaft also change? Did clutch pressure plate change ?
After reading this post on what I think I should change- maybe I should just leave it stock :D :D :D :D

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: 440 ic gas 12v conversion

Post by Lavoy » Sun Mar 08, 2020 10:07 am

No other starter works, have to convert original to 12 volts, I stock the parts to do so.
Primary problem with any reverser on a 2 cylinder crawler is operator error and lack of maintenance, and incorrect usage. Clutches are mechanically applied, and function perfectly at the factory tension.
Leave the steering clutches alone, no need or gain to change other than maybe somewhat extended life.
Lavoy
Parts and restoration for antique and late model John Deere crawlers.
Owner and moderator www.jdcrawlers.com

ddaxe
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by ddaxe » Tue Mar 10, 2020 5:42 pm

I ran into the same sort of thing with the final drives. One final had 6-7 clutch drum.. and the other 8-8. lucky for me having 3 machines, I was able to go 8-8. the shafts & pressure plates were all the same. Only difference is the bearing quill for the ring gear. In my situation trying to build 1 machine from 3 when 2 are later versions and 1 earlier makes getting to know what works with what essential, eg - Smaller bearings for the 256 part # (last 3 digits) transmission and larger ones for the pt# 396 trans. The release bearing holder and related pieces were the same between both. Lavoy was a big help as I was kinda scratching my head because of the differences. But, as I mentioned to him.. such is the joy of playing with 60 year old iron that most have been farmervated to some degree, and thanks to him it put me on the right track.. err.. so to speak..
Chrome don't getcha Home

gaspumpsam
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by gaspumpsam » Tue Mar 10, 2020 10:26 pm

Tks.