Looking for 450 tool tray pictures or measurements

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
B Town
350 crawler
350 crawler

Re: Looking for 450 tool tray pictures or measurements

Post by B Town » Sun Feb 23, 2020 7:27 pm

After looking at your pictures and your explanation, I believe you are correct in putting the thumb hole to the rear and the block on top of the wooden plate toward the front. I had it in my mind the thumb hole was to the front only because of the picture Stan had posted.

I think you are on the right path. If a narrower tray will come out easier, I would make the tray narrow

Best regards,

Bruce

Stan Disbrow
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Stan Disbrow » Mon Feb 24, 2020 5:35 am

Hi,

No, I have no interference with the tray on my machine. But, then my machine is a 350C. So, there is one difference. I have more clearance than needed. I would say to make it fit your machine and it ought to work out better that way.

Stan
There's No Such Thing As A Cheap Crawler!

Useta Have: '58 JD 420c 5-roller w/62 inside blade
Useta Have: '78 JD350C w/6310 outside blade
Useta Have: '68 JD350, '51 Terratrac GT-25
Have: 1950 M, 2005 x495, 2008 5103 (now known as 5045D)

oldmetalmender
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by oldmetalmender » Mon Feb 24, 2020 11:56 am

Well they are just 1/8 of an inch narrower. Hopefully undetectable to the eye. On the wood tray, I was pretty sure I had it in right. But you never know. :) I should be able to get a few more parts ready for welding and wood glue today. I am also hoping to land my freshly rebuilt and painted cylinder head. Plenty to get done...
1969 JD 400 backhoe
1975 JD 450C crawler SOLD to a neighbor
Beloved wife Elizabeth Ann Temple murdered by covid on October 19th 2021

timmtnman
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by timmtnman » Tue Feb 25, 2020 3:49 pm

I measured my beat up tool tray today and it is 7 1/8 wide, 22 1/2 long, and 2 7/8 tall. Also from looking at parts catalog the board goes in with the hole towards the back. This is out of a 1974 450B.

Stan Disbrow
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Stan Disbrow » Wed Feb 26, 2020 10:39 am

Hi,

The 350C parts catalog lists the tool tray under the Operator Station section. Plate PN AT18737. Toolbox PN AT18738.

The drawing shows no hole, and mine looks like a bad saw job so maybe it was added by someone. The drawing shows the wood cleat on the very end of the plate downwards and the one set back from the end of the plate upwards. Can't tell front from rear, though.

My pic shows mine was at least upside down. Might be wrong front to back as well. I will have a look at my operator and service manuals for pics of this stuff at the factory when they made up the manuals....

The hanger is in with the electrical system. Says for a 12" wide battery box. PN T37999.

There is also a 9" wide battery box. No hanger listed for that one.

The battery box listings are a tad confusing. Manual dozer v Hydraulic. Backhoe v none. Disconnect switch v none. And, serial number breaks. And, this just for the 350C. Lord knows what are listed in the other 350 manuals. Much less all the 450s!

Stan

Edit: No Joy on pics in the other two manuals.
There's No Such Thing As A Cheap Crawler!

Useta Have: '58 JD 420c 5-roller w/62 inside blade
Useta Have: '78 JD350C w/6310 outside blade
Useta Have: '68 JD350, '51 Terratrac GT-25
Have: 1950 M, 2005 x495, 2008 5103 (now known as 5045D)

oldmetalmender
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by oldmetalmender » Wed Feb 26, 2020 12:48 pm

Manuals are super helpful but don't always answer questions. I am getting back on the tool trays today. I have three bent up and ready for spot welding and 4 more to do. I should be getting a call today for the support strap material I had shipped in. I also have an unexpected trip to eastern Montana on Friday. I just want you all to know I am moving forward. Slow but forward. Later when all these are done, I want to see about making the style that is in the picture. I'll have to guess dimensions. And make and fit a couple extra parts, but I think being able to make either or would be good. Anyway off to the shop....
1969 JD 400 backhoe

oldmetalmender
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by oldmetalmender » Sat Feb 29, 2020 10:26 pm

Well I should post an update. I had hoped to be done with the 8 tray sets I am making by now, but I have a ways to go yet. I had an unplanned trip to central Montana and just returned last night. I did manage to get the rest of the metal, wood and yellow and black paint I needed before I left. So I am resuming tomorrow. I prefer really good work verses being fast. So please bear with me as I get these done. I have some holes to drill and ends to weld on along with the handles. So I am getting there.

More soon.
1969 JD 400 backhoe

77 Ford
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by 77 Ford » Mon Mar 02, 2020 7:59 am

I don't want to speak for anyone else but I'm in no hurry at all.
JD- 450C track loader
Serial #208336T

oldmetalmender
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by oldmetalmender » Mon Mar 02, 2020 12:13 pm

Thanks for the feedback 77 Ford. I am working on them all day again today. I hope to be warming the shop for paint hopefully tomorrow or Wed. I have to go to Seattle for three days on Friday. I would like to have paint curing before I leave.
It's to cold for painting right now. It's an effort to make 70 in the paint area. And it's insulated.
I appreciate the patience.
1969 JD 400 backhoe

oldmetalmender
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by oldmetalmender » Wed Mar 04, 2020 11:26 am

Well I am running on a generator right now. I was on the phone with Lavoy when the power went out. Sorry Lavoy... It's from a wind storm. I was able to get 8 tool trays painted yesterday evening. Finally, after some issues with the spot welder and a couple other minor things.

I have three wood trays built. The new plywood for the rest is not usable. It's crowned and seems to have taken a set. So I am off to the lumberyard to find more that I will hand select. Materials seem so marginal these days.

I have wood trays and the yellow support straps to still fabricate. And I leave for Seattle on Friday. Back Sunday I will keep at it.
My shop does not have a generator. A transfer switch system is on the to do list. Sitting around drive's me nuts.
1969 JD 400 backhoe

timmtnman
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by timmtnman » Wed Mar 04, 2020 6:41 pm

They look great Al. Your craftsmanship is superb.

oldmetalmender
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by oldmetalmender » Thu Mar 05, 2020 11:03 am

timmtnman wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 6:41 pm
They look great Al. Your craftsmanship is superb.
Thank's.. I know where the flaws are. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Just kidding. I try to make good stuff. I used NAPA chassis black so later if someone wants to recoat, a quick scuff and repaint will make them last a good long time. And that paint can be easily bought everywhere. It is very durable and better than stuff like krylon etc.. I'll post the part number in the next message or two.
1969 JD 400 backhoe

oldmetalmender
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by oldmetalmender » Tue Mar 10, 2020 8:59 pm

Well I survived Seattle doing a white knuckle tow home. While being my home town, I don't miss it at all. Nobody tailgates here. They are crazy there. Seriously....
OK, so I finished all the wood parts today. They get black brush on paint tomorrow after glue dries and stainless flat head screws get added to keep the small wood parts in place later in case a glue joint lets go. I have made a very subtle change. I shortened the underside wood by just a tiny bit on the outside edge because the slot on the side of battery box wall where the metal support strap slides into hit the wood before the tray was able to stop on the strap. It was obvious the wood tray from John Deere was made in a hurry and did not fit as well as it could. The underside wood was also stapled on crooked on Stans OEM part. I fixed that and the new boards are much nicer. I am including a new wood tray with the tool tray at no extra charge because my new tray on Stan's old board caused the battery box hinge to rub on the tray. The new wood and tray fit great. So with the materials, and hand making these tool trays the very best I can do is 75.00 each not including shipping. Add 10.00 bucks for the support straps. I can assure if they ever make it to ebay or anywhere else that they will not be that price. They will be more. I am doing my best to try and keep these reasonable. I just ordered 26x8x8 boxes and should be able to ship them some time next week. If anyone does not want to spend what I am charging please let me know and I will remove you from the list. If at any time anyone who buys anything I make and has a problem later, I always stand behind what I make and will send a replacement on the return of my part(s). I mean broken spot welds or any other type of failure.
It will be covered and will get taken care of. That is more important to me than I can explain. I have never had one return on the full size jeep parts I make and sell. Not one. Everything is carefully hand made and not done on a machine.

So what I have for requests is,
PLEASE CORRECT ME IF I HAVE LISTED ANYTHING WRONG> remember new trays get a new board included. If the new tray fits with your old board, then great, you have an extra board for the future.

Bennyt 1 tool tray, board and support straps.
Timmtnman 1 tool tray possibly 2 depending on price
77ford 1 tool tray, board and straps
Btown 2-3 tool trays, boards and straps depending on price. You have a credit Bruce. As we discussed before.
Stan 1 tool tray and board and return of your OEM parts. Stan there is no charge for you. I am more than grateful that you sent me the parts to be able to make reproductions. That you trusted me to do so and enabled me to make these assemblies without guessing. Stan I also need to reimburse you for the shipping to get your tool tray parts to me. I will check the PM message and include a check to pay you back.

DID I MISS ANYONE????

For those that would like to move forward with the tool trays, please PM me your complete name and mailing address including zip code. And to be sure, what you wanted.

I will have to send the boxes after finding out shipping costs. I will have to rely on good faith that when you get my total that you will promptly send me a check. I will PM my address if that is how you wish to pay. I do have paypal but they charge to much anymore. If you want to use paypal than add 6.00 dollars and request my paypal address in the PM. But please respect my efforts and pay promptly.

Please let me know if there are any corrections, retractions, or anything else. I am grateful for the opportunity to reproduce yet another NLA part.
Thank you.
Al
1969 JD 400 backhoe

B Town
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by B Town » Wed Mar 11, 2020 5:09 am

Good morning Al,

Glad to hear you made the trip without problems! I have only been that far West once. My Sister’s son married in Portland Oregon. Downtown was not the nicest, but outside of town was amazing.

PM sent for tray order.

Your work is flawless/spot-on. Thank you, Bruce

77 Ford
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by 77 Ford » Wed Mar 11, 2020 9:21 am

Message sent (I think) it's still in my outbox but maybe it stays there till it's read? I clicked send.
JD- 450C track loader
Serial #208336T