Looking for 450 tool tray pictures or measurements

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
B Town
350 crawler
350 crawler

Re: Looking for 450 tool tray pictures or measurements

Post by B Town » Wed Mar 11, 2020 9:55 am

77 Ford,

Messages stay in the out box until they are opened by the recipient.

Cheers, Bruce

oldmetalmender
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by oldmetalmender » Wed Mar 11, 2020 12:47 pm

Got your PM's guys. Thank you and I replied back. I have two heaters going and will be painting the wood today. I am not sure how the weather knows when I need to paint. It got cold again and we have snow and wind in the forecast in a day or so. So I am getting everything painted today and making sure the generator is gassed up. The next outage will be number 12. Minor drawback I guess for living in such a beautiful place. :mrgreen:
I will get some pictures up when everything is done and painted.

Thanks guys.

Al
1969 JD 400 backhoe
1975 JD 450C crawler SOLD to a neighbor
Beloved wife Elizabeth Ann Temple murdered by covid on October 19th 2021

oldmetalmender
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by oldmetalmender » Fri Mar 13, 2020 11:07 am

I just got an email from Staples saying by box order is being delayed. I ordered a 20 pack of boxes to ship all the tool trays out. Probably a direct result of the panic from the corona virus going around. They mention it in the email. We noticed all the stores are sold out on toilet paper. My Seattle friends call to report empty freeways no TP etc. wow.... (frantic voice on) Remain Calm!!
LOL
I will get these out as soon as I am able. Hope everyone is having a good day today.

al
1969 JD 400 backhoe

oldmetalmender
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by oldmetalmender » Mon Mar 16, 2020 9:41 pm

I wanted to update everyone. I finally got tracking information and my 20 pack of boxes should arrive by the 19th.
I will try to get them out asap. Then send totals.
Here is the thing. Everyone we know is getting ready or already staying home and isolating. My neighbors, friends in other cities, family etc. Now we are also. I don't want to get sick. I had some serious chemical cloud exposures when I worked at Intel corp in Oregon. Mom died from an asthma attack 10 years ago and I have her health constitution etc... So my lungs are not in the best shape to start with. I cannot stand not getting enough air in sometimes. It does not happen very often, but stinks when it does.
I will however go mail all these when possible. Waiting could be who knows how long. It does not bother me to run down to town and process these.

Here is what I would do if I were getting a box that was shipped. The inner contents, tool trays, wood etc are clean. The box should be wiped down with a rag soaked with a mild bleach solution. None of us know who will handle these boxes on the way to you guys. If a sick postal or fed ex person moves them well you guys would be at risk just from touching the box. Then your family members etc.
So either wipe them down as soon as you put your hands on them, or put them in your trunk or back of your truck bed till you get home. Put the mild bleach solution soaked rag (Wet nearly dripping)in a zip loc till you need it. Take it with you. Use it when you get the shipping box. Then open it and toss the box.
Don't wipe down the tool tray and wood and other parts. You will damage the finish I worked hard on making as perfect as possible.
This is just a simple idea on how to handle the box. The news is really causing havoc. If it really is as bad as it is being made out to be, why take a chance. I just thought I would suggest this.
I will post here and send PM's when they are on the way.
I think the delay is BS. But who am I? :roll:

I hope everyone is doing fine and still having fun. :mrgreen:
1969 JD 400 backhoe

oldmetalmender
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by oldmetalmender » Wed Mar 18, 2020 11:50 am

Well why we are all waiting on boxes, I thought I would post a picture of a really neat very old mandrel press I used to make the straps. This tool is 109 years old. An Atlas and incredibly strong. It helped me make the straps with very little radius in the bends just like the original JD straps. I use this machine a lot. The bottom die is a short piece of railroad track with a 90 degree vee milled into it. This tool is really something. (insert Binford grunt) .. :mrgreen:

I was having trouble with exact repeat ability with the curl on the inside end. I ended up making this and was able to make bend after bend the exact same. It took a while to ramp up fabrication. But once it was done off I went.

Using Stans strap he sent, I checked all of them and made sure they would work. The two marked end ones were off by the slightest amount and those are mine to keep. :wink:

I made the curl a shade long. It gave me something to hammer on and will also provide better retention from bouncing out of place from rough crawler use. Not bad for a bunch of hand made parts.

Anyway, thought I would post these. I really like that old mandrel press. Old tools work and last. Everything is now old construction yellow and waiting for it's new home.
As soon as the boxes show up, I will package everything and head for the shippers. I picked up a big roll of bubble wrap so all is well.
1969 JD 400 backhoe

DrLoch
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by DrLoch » Thu Mar 19, 2020 7:01 am

Very nice work.
450C Track Loader
291457T

77 Ford
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by 77 Ford » Thu Mar 19, 2020 7:10 am

That is amazing work!
JD- 450C track loader
Serial #208336T

oldmetalmender
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by oldmetalmender » Thu Mar 19, 2020 5:11 pm

Well thanks guys. I enjoy making things. Or fixing them. Well here is a happy sight. I shipped everything USPS and I will PM totals and tracking numbers after I finish this post. So you guys know what is coming, Stan your box on the left that you sent me everything in might have one trip left in it. I was able to fit everything inside. Btown I had to do two boxes for you in the center there. And 77Ford your kit is in the right box. I did not insure any of them in the interest of keeping the price down. If one gets lost I will absorb the loss and send another. Please don't laugh when you see nearly half the box tops covered in Sesame Street stamps. :mrgreen:
For some reason the Postmaster gal said she wanted to do it that way. That they had to many stamps and were told to get rid of them. So when you see big bird and oscar all over the place, it was not my idea..... :lol:

Finally on the way!

Here is a complete tool tray kit.

I have but one big request for all three of you guys. Well you check fit on your machines? The straps, and the boards, and trays. I am banking on John Deere welding the battery box wall in the exact same spot with consistency. Here is a potential fit issue.
I kept these for myself. To long to send out but they fit so I will use them.

Rejects.... These ended up to long.

Here is an ideal fit. So could you guys be my prototype analyst's and tell me what you are finding in this spot specifically on your machines? Take a look at the board and tray fit to please...
This will tell me if I need to change my dimensions. I do think I will make board 1/8 more narrow in the future. They match Stans and not much room for error at all.

It should be like this.

Well thats it... And for the most important part of all this. I wish to thank both Stan and Bruce for sending me these OEM parts to copy. Bruce for the vandalism cover and Stan for all the tool tray parts. For trusting me to take discontinued parts you just can't get easily and work with them to make more. I am really grateful guys. And if anything I make ever has an issue. Please contact me and I will remedy the situation. I will include my email in the PM's I am sending for that.

Thank you all three of you for being patient. It took me a while. Now I have some PM's go send and a 450C that I need to finish assembling.
:)
1969 JD 400 backhoe

oldmetalmender
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by oldmetalmender » Thu Mar 19, 2020 5:56 pm

PM's are sent. :)

For the guys that have a tool tray on the way. Here is an idea that will preserve the paint. Go to the hardware store and buy a roll of tool box drawer liner. Get the open woven plastic that you can see through. Cut to fit in the tool tray. It will keep rattles down. Keep tools from sliding back and forth, and most importantly, breathe being an open weave and allow moisture to evaporate.
I am going to do that for mine. And if and when I make more tool trays, I was just thinking heavy wall epoxy filled heat shrink would rubberize the handle. Installed before spot welding it would be kind of cool. Heck LED lighting and WIFI would be too. Just kidding on that one... :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Last edited by oldmetalmender on Thu Mar 19, 2020 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1969 JD 400 backhoe

jbloam
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by jbloam » Thu Mar 19, 2020 6:09 pm

That is amazing work. I wish I had a 450 so I could buy one. Then again I probably wouldn't want to use it for fear of beating it all up. Thanks for sharing this journey, I really enjoyed following it.

B Town
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by B Town » Thu Mar 19, 2020 7:11 pm

Hello Oldmetalmender,

Amazing, just absolutely awesome. Thank you for your trustworthiness, time, skill etc.... I cannot wait to get my hands on the cool stuff.

I think the tool tray anti-skid material is a great idea. I will keep you posted.

Best regards, Bruce

oldmetalmender
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by oldmetalmender » Thu Mar 19, 2020 8:19 pm

Thanks Jbloam and B Town...

Well the wife and I went for a walk down to the river and back. First free time in while. I was cleaning up around my machine and I spotted a problem.
When I was eye level with the battery box, the tool tray handle looked like it was to high. I grabbed a ruler and my heart sank.
I know some of the handles being hand bent, placed and spot welded had small variances in height. They should be below the battery compartment lid by at least 1/8 or better. So I did not check this. It will just ruin the maintenance decal. So it kills me to report this. But the new parts have to be right. Early on when I said I was an amateur, I was not kidding. Sometimes something can slip by me.
So will you guys please check this first.

If any one of the new trays don't fit, I will make you a new one and ship it no cost to any of you. I don't have any 16 GA left. So I will have to get some and start over. The thinner plywood I have has a mild crown. Still not good enough. So by the end of April I will be able to have it resolved. I need to get my crawler running and get past most of a guest room remodel. All my car stuff can wait. I know it is fixable, but I am still going to go sit in a corner and pout for a bit. It is good to learn this now and not later. What dya do? Make new ones and keep going... Sorry for any inconvenience. :|
1969 JD 400 backhoe

bennyt
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by bennyt » Fri Mar 20, 2020 4:51 am

oldmetalmender I think I sent you a pm. My first attempt to send one lol. If you don't receive it let me know and I'll try again.

oldmetalmender
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by oldmetalmender » Fri Mar 20, 2020 8:38 am

I did not get it bennyt. I will check again in a bit.
Mays well put my email in here just in case.
fineline64@wildblue.net

Well I am calling the metal supply place this morning and will leave to get a new piece of 16 GA sheet metal. I will at least have it here for any replacements. I was/am pretty embarrassed about this. I looked at the OEM tray handle weeks ago on the bench and thought it looked funny so low on the tool tray end walls. Between the crooked wood work and the handle thing, I thought JD could do better.
I gave the handle the reveal I thought looked better and see what I get. :) I will correct this. In the end everybody will have good stuff to use and look at.
The good thing is I ordered a 20 pack of boxes. And some of you guys might end up with a cool tool tray for your plumbing parts in the garage. :wink:
1969 JD 400 backhoe

timmtnman
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by timmtnman » Fri Mar 20, 2020 10:34 am

Hi Al, just wanted to check in and make sure you didnt forget my order also, I know I want two trays and boards and one set of straps. Also we talked about the battery trays too. No hurry on anything here. I sent some PMs too and never heard back so I an guessing you didnt get the last ones. Very nice work and they look great.