1010 Crawler Foot Brake

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
KellyBeans
MC crawler
MC crawler

1010 Crawler Foot Brake

Post by KellyBeans » Thu Mar 26, 2020 6:12 am

New to the forum and looking for some guidance. Our old 1010 has been on the farm as long as I've been alive and has sat in a shed 90% of that time. Only used a couple times a year. As long as I can remember the foot brake has not worked, it rests in the depressed position, you can pull it back to you, but, its pretty stiff.
We currently have the tracks off the dozer to replace the tensioners and work on the front idlers. Figured this might be a good time to address this issue. The hand clutches/brakes work as they should with no sticking or slipping. I guess my question is if anyone has any insight on this issue? Machine is non-reverser gas 5 spd.

Thank you in advance!
1010 Crawler in need of a power 6 way blade and a reverser. :lol:

Kelly

dtoots1
350 crawler
350 crawler

Re: 1010 Crawler Foot Brake

Post by dtoots1 » Thu Mar 26, 2020 6:34 am

definitely time to look into that. would assume connecting rod is disconnected somewhere since in the depressed condition it should lock up both tracks.. usually look for rust in the crossover rod on the foot pedal, probably means disassembly to get freed up...heat and movement and may haps a bit of hammering to loosen...rod either goes thru dash or under the floor.

if you can move the pedal and the rod is moving inside the barrel it may be possible to lubricate and keep it working, other issue is check to see if disconnected..check for grease fittings.

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Jim B » Thu Mar 26, 2020 7:13 am

In case you don't have a parts catalog or a link to it on line; here is the link: https://partscatalog.deere.com/jdrc/nav ... ment/77299 . That will at least allow you to see the parts that should be there.

A service manual is what you really need to guide you through the set up and adjustments. I don't have a copy or know of any free ones on line. Lavoy can likely help you with a printed one from his store. An operator's manual might have the adjustments, I'm not sure. It is a system; steering clutches, steering braking, and foot braking all tie together and have to be adjusted correctly to time out right.

Hurlbutt
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by Hurlbutt » Thu Mar 26, 2020 3:47 pm

I just tried to get manuals from Lavoy for my 1010 and he sent me to eBay. His supplier either doesn't have them or he doesn't like what they offer. He did say "Do NOT buy any I & T manuals unless you need something to start the woodstove, they are garbage."
Bill

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Jim B » Thu Mar 26, 2020 5:10 pm

The service manual for the 1010 crawlers is John Deere part number SM2034. That is the publication number to look for whether you look at used originals or reprints on eBay or other sources. Jensales is another some are avoiding as well. They are selling reprints of the I&T manuals as the service manuals of some tractors and I have heard there reprints are poor quality at times.

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Thu Mar 26, 2020 6:04 pm

Bill needed some additional manuals that I did not have ready access to, and a couple of them, I do not like the quality of, so I will not sell them. For basic 1010 manuals, not an issue. I do not have any on hand right now, they come with my regular order, so no issue to get.
Lavoy
Parts and restoration for antique and late model John Deere crawlers.
Owner and moderator www.jdcrawlers.com

Hurlbutt
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by Hurlbutt » Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:34 pm

I sorry I misunderstood your response when I contacted you concerning manuals Lavoy. Partial knowledge can provide misleading comments. I'll try to be more careful in the future and allow you an opportunity to give a good response.
Bill

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:06 pm

No problem.
Lavoy

KellyBeans
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by KellyBeans » Fri Mar 27, 2020 12:28 am

Thanks for the reply and the link. Looking at the parts breakdown it is really strange that it doesn’t work at all. I could see one side or the other not working. Knowing my father and grandfather, I wouldn’t put it past them to unhook it if it was out of adjustment or messing something else up. Lol I guess we will see this weekend!!

Thanks again.

dtoots1 wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 6:34 am
definitely time to look into that. would assume connecting rod is disconnected somewhere since in the depressed condition it should lock up both tracks.. usually look for rust in the crossover rod on the foot pedal, probably means disassembly to get freed up...heat and movement and may haps a bit of hammering to loosen...rod either goes thru dash or under the floor.

if you can move the pedal and the rod is moving inside the barrel it may be possible to lubricate and keep it working, other issue is check to see if disconnected..check for grease fittings.

Kelly

dtoots1
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by dtoots1 » Fri Mar 27, 2020 6:48 am

KellyBeans,
by the way at the login drop down box is access to your profile...that is where you can put in info as to your 'location' ,,it helps others to determine if access to help may be closer than you may realize,

KellyBeans
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by KellyBeans » Sat Mar 28, 2020 4:15 pm

Dug a little deeper today. Removed the fenders, floor pan and seat.
The clevis on the end in the rear is broke off of left side and the pin is missing on right side. I have the pedal 75% free. Will need some more freeing up.

Would I be correct in thinking there’s no way to hook that back up without taking the final drive out? Or can I start u hooking stuff up top and get down into it?

Kelly

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Sat Mar 28, 2020 4:36 pm

Nope, final will have to come off.
Lavoy

KellyBeans
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by KellyBeans » Sat Mar 28, 2020 11:44 pm

Now I guess I have to make a choice as to if the foot brake is worth all that work 😂

Thanks Lavoy!
Lavoy wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 4:36 pm
Nope, final will have to come off.
Lavoy

Kelly

dtoots1
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by dtoots1 » Sun Mar 29, 2020 6:33 am

that kinda depends on what is life of the steering brakes? and if you got hl's to work on or around....these machines will roll very easy on slight grade. you can use both hand brakes and clutch to stop it but still have to shut it off.

where are you located??????

KellyBeans
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by KellyBeans » Sun Mar 29, 2020 10:59 pm

I’m in southern Pennsylvania, we definitely have hills. Looks to me like the foot brake and the clutch brakes are all the same brakes. Just actuated differently. Would be nice to get the brakes working for sure!

Kelly