JD Construction Yellow Mix Ratio

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
ddaxe
430 crawler
430 crawler

JD Construction Yellow Mix Ratio

Post by ddaxe » Tue May 19, 2020 7:43 pm

My 440 resto is coming along pretty good. I should have the ol girl running in the next couple of days. I was fortunate that one the parts machine had a fresh rebuilt engine, but just as important, it came with 3 gallons of the correct JD yellow paint. I knew I wanted to spray the paint, but there wasn't any real thinning instructions. I tried a small mix to see if automotive thinners would curdle the paint. It didn't and I found 4:1 worked best. It laid down nice and didn't want to run. The only thing with this colour I have to remember is keeping my hands clean when assembling or else I leave the greasy paw prints everywhere.. Good luck with your projects...
Chrome don't getcha Home

Swanybawanie
430 crawler
430 crawler

Re: JD Construction Yellow Mix Ratio

Post by Swanybawanie » Tue Jun 23, 2020 1:33 pm

Wonder if you could put pictures here? Would love to see your paint job! I too have had some parts painted: the hood, grill, some engine parts with the yellow paint, thinking of painting the block JD green on my 440ic. I need to take off the long steel beams along the side and have them painted, the seat fenders can wait later,

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Wed Jun 24, 2020 9:19 am

4 to 1 seems thin, I think they want only about 10%, but that is with the Deere thinner. It is a nice color, just doesn't cover well, but the Ag yellow is worse.
Lavoy
Parts and restoration for antique and late model John Deere crawlers.
Owner and moderator www.jdcrawlers.com

ddaxe
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by ddaxe » Thu Jun 25, 2020 2:04 pm

it is thin.. but I found any less it started to get "pebblely" as it would lay down as pin head droplets instead of a very fine mist... if found my automotive hvlp gun and a mixture to 4:1 has given me best result of all mixes I tried... it might all depend on what thinner your using as well.. I'm using Dupont's Nason line of med temp reducer
Chrome don't getcha Home