Stuck steering

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
Swanybawanie
430 crawler
430 crawler

Stuck steering

Post by Swanybawanie » Tue Jul 28, 2020 8:17 pm

Got on the 440IC crawler today, tried the steering, left side seems to move ok, but the right side won’t budge, sat down here reading about stuck steering, uh oh,, seems like another big job, what are the main cause of stuck steering? Rust? Broken part? WhT kind of replacement? Or just needs to clean up the rusty areas? Let me know, ( yes I know, nothing on the dry clutches) lol

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Stuck steering

Post by Lavoy » Wed Jul 29, 2020 7:49 am

Stuck is moisture causing rust, and/or the fiber discs swell as they absorb the moisture and eventually crush the pressure plate fingers down against the frame of the pressure plate.
Parts are no problem, I stock all of them.
Lavoy
Parts and restoration for antique and late model John Deere crawlers.
Owner and moderator www.jdcrawlers.com

Swanybawanie
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by Swanybawanie » Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:55 am

How big of a job is it to repair this?

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Wed Jul 29, 2020 2:00 pm

Split the track, pull the final drive off, then work on the clutches. If you have the service manual, pretty well laid out.
Lavoy
Parts and restoration for antique and late model John Deere crawlers.
Owner and moderator www.jdcrawlers.com

dtoots1
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by dtoots1 » Sat Aug 01, 2020 9:57 am

Well Swanny,
best way is setting it up to do so...requires crawling under to get back belly pan off....track apart on that side ...and a lift of some sort to hold final up so can turn it to get it out...
drive dozer up on at least 2 - 2 by planks for room underneath...jack up and block dozer....can remove plank from under track and move track with come a long to desired location.....
was 76 when i did mine....had woman help when dropping the final out on floor to work on...
follow directions in manual....Lavoy has all the parts needed and replace all parts and springs.....
you will need the clutch gauge...from Lavoy...and 3 small c clamps to get enough pressure to close to flywheel so can get nuts on the backside started and tightened enough to get fastened....not much room to work...

use solid wood blocks...do not use concrete blocks...concrete or wood floor is best....gravel is not conducive to work on..