JD 450 tune up (Euro Market)

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
sspony
420 crawler
420 crawler

JD 450 tune up (Euro Market)

Post by sspony » Tue Sep 15, 2020 6:22 pm

Hey guys, I have a JD 450 (Based on additional research its a 450A with 95A back hoe) gray market loader/backhoe. Its unique in that the drivers seat spins around to operate the backhoe. Unfortunately since its an oddball Im not sure which manual or parts to use on it. Its been sitting for awhile and id like to do a tune up (filters and fluids). I was able to get some part numbers but im still trying to figure out how to access the air filter (I think i have to pull the hood) and identify the hydraulic filter (no part number on it). Any help on the general specs for a tuneup would be greatly appreciated.

Also whats the proper way to safely support the loader while working on the engine?

Trying to figure out the picture hosting.
I will post all of the part numbers together for future reference when I have them.
Last edited by sspony on Sun Sep 20, 2020 5:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
JD 450A European w/backhoe

77 Ford
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Re: JD 450 tune up (Euro Market)

Post by 77 Ford » Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:16 am

I'm not very familiar with the Euro Market machines so I probably won't be much help. On my machine the air filter is in a canister between your feet.

As far as blocking up the loader, I use 3" angle iron cut about an 1" shorter than when the boom is all the way extended ( assuming you have head room or doing it outside). I put one on each side and it sets on top of the rod of the cylinder and on top of the gland. Then I slow let the arms down till they are locked in place. Some people will chain them on so they don't "pop out" but I've never even felt like that was possible.

Hope that helps a little to get you started. Is this your first JD crawler?
JD- 450C track loader
Serial #208336T

sspony
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by sspony » Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:08 am

Thanks for the tip. Do you have any pictures of that setup? Having trouble visualizing what your describing.
Unfortunately my air canister is not easily accessible like that. Hoping to post pics soon.

Yes this is my first crawler.
Last edited by sspony on Fri Sep 25, 2020 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Jim B » Wed Sep 16, 2020 5:17 pm

Here is a picture of the angle iron I use for a safety support on my 2030. Yours would be similar other than your cylinder is mount so the rod extends out the top. The factory ones are usually made of bent U-channel.

I will send you a private message with an email you can send a pictures to and I will post them for you (if you want me to), while you get set up for use of the site's picture server with Lavoy, if you plan to use that to store pictures to post.

sspony
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by sspony » Thu Sep 17, 2020 6:00 am

Thanks I appreciate that. Im gonna try to get set up to host some pictures so I can have them within my first post.
I see what your saying about the braces now.

Update, i ordered all of the filters but the air filter. Still not sure what I need there. It looks like someone reversed my housing so they could put thw battery up under the dash. This crawler has certainly been customized.
I did some additional reasearch and it looks like it is a 450A european machine. The cab is a factory item, as is the wiper assembly and heater inside. Both non functional right now.

Another question, where do you all buy grease fittings? I think several of mine arent working correctly and would like to just replace them.

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Jim B » Thu Sep 17, 2020 6:24 am

You can get grease fittings (zerks) at any auto parts store along with dealers and other parts suppliers. I would recommend getting Lincoln or Alemite brand fittings if you can. Take an old one with you just to be sure of the threads on them. I don't know if JD used metric for the European machines of that timeframe or not.

sspony
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by sspony » Thu Sep 17, 2020 7:16 am

Good idea on checking the threads/size. Also thanks for the brand recommendations, thats the info i was looking for!

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Jim B » Thu Sep 17, 2020 6:13 pm

Here are some photos of sspony's machine we can look at while he gets set up to use the picture server.

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Jim B » Thu Sep 17, 2020 6:24 pm

sspony,

What is the information (type and serial number) on the Identification tag, located at the upper right of the dash area, in your picture of the operator's station?

Jim

sspony
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by sspony » Thu Sep 17, 2020 6:55 pm

Thanks for putting the pics up Jim!
I should mention the gauge cluster is pulled out to repair some mouse damage. Eventually Ill clean up the engine wiring as well.

Dash Tag:
Made in France
Type E7450 Serial 02364CD
Saran-Orleans

Engine Tag: (Hard to read, may not be correct)
Made in France
190L-07 130196CD

Next question, should i change the transmission fluid?

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Jim B » Fri Sep 18, 2020 6:15 am

It may be well to change the transmission oil. While the transmission is drained you should check and cleean the suction screen located in the transmission case. It should be behind a 3 bolt cover on the lower right side of the transmission. Is there a spin on filter located right in front of the radiator? If so change that as well. The transmission and hydraulic oil should be Hy-Gard (or an equivalent meeting the JDM J20C spec), not a "303" oil.

Have you removed the hydraulic filter? That might be a washable suction screen you can clean.

Check closely around all the sides and panels and under cab metal as best you can. There should be one more tag similar to the ones on the dash and engine. It would be the actual ID tag for the crawler. There are a few old posts here about European 450s and one talks about a tag on the battery box panel. I know yours is a bit different but hopefully they relocated it to a different spot. The dash tag is for the loader attachment. The loader attachment had its own tag in the early years of the 450 run.

77 Ford
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by 77 Ford » Fri Sep 18, 2020 7:42 am

There are tons of differences, that is very interesting to see.
JD- 450C track loader
Serial #208336T

sspony
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by sspony » Fri Sep 18, 2020 8:08 am

Very helpful information! Yes it has the spin on filter in front of the radiator. I already ordered a replacement filter for that.

I also ordered new hydraulic filters. It looks washable but I rather be safe since I dont know how this machine has been maintained for the last 40+ years. I should also mention when I pulled the hydraulic filter someone had it offset and not properly seated (see pic). So not sure if that was on purpose or accidental, but the bolt that holds it was tight. I loosened it and properly seated the filter. Seems to work fine.

I'll have to look around and figure out how to access the transmission case. Just looked into Hy-Gard, I'll definitely be putting that in the transmission. Will probably go with something cheaper that meets spec on the hydraulics for this first change. Especially while I sort out any leaks and such (One big one near the tank I need to find/fix).

I'll pressure wash again and see if I find any other tags. Any idea which engine I have from that tag?

sspony
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by sspony » Fri Sep 18, 2020 10:10 am

Also can someone confirm what the holes in the boom are for? I assume its for a brace to be used when not operational but wasn't sure.

Planning to weld one of these thumbs on soon to handle stumps and logs.
https://linvilleindustries.com/product/ ... hoe-thumb/

sspony
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by sspony » Fri Sep 18, 2020 10:19 am

I'd like to talk a little bit about the loader as well. Looks like something bad happened at some point based on all of this plate patch work.

I also wonder if this loader had the Drott 4-1 bucket at some point. See the aux hydraulic lines looped on the side of the arm in this pic. They run to the handle shown next picture. The one next to the main loader handle. Side note, that heater appears to be a factory JD item for this unit. It's not currently hooked up.