JD 450 tune up (Euro Market)

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
sspony
420 crawler
420 crawler

Re: JD 450 tune up (Euro Market)

Post by sspony » Mon Oct 05, 2020 6:59 pm

That sounds like a good time haha. Where does one find this special tool?

Will I need to replace #13 ? Exhaust caps?
JD 450A European w/backhoe

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Jim B » Tue Oct 06, 2020 5:47 am

From what I find the pilot tool is a Stanadyne # 36528 (supersedes 16477). An injection pump shop or JD would be my first places to check. The seals can be installed without this but more difficult as this pilot tool has a taper they slid up to gently expand them.

What your book calls exhaust caps are just the plastic protective caps used for shipping and storing the nozzles, I believe. They are just called caps in the NA 450 catalog.

sspony
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by sspony » Tue Oct 06, 2020 6:31 am

Thats what I thought, but i wanted to make sure before I placed an order for the seals/rings.

Anyone have one of those tools on here they would like to rent to me? Or any other experience based advice on how to install.

Jim, you mentioned a bleeder on the injection pump head. What part do you mean? I used the bleeder you pointed out in my picture.

Update: seals/orings ordered. Planning to attempt another start before replacing the seals.

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Jim B » Tue Oct 06, 2020 1:35 pm

As I said, I couldn't see a bleeder in the head, looking at your picture. It should look like the one I pointed to in the picture. You will have to look to see if there is one in the head anywhere, that is not visible in the picture. It might not have one.

sspony
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by sspony » Thu Oct 08, 2020 5:15 pm

Well I got it started back up this evening. I don't wanna talk about how much starter fluid I had to use. At least it was the kind with upper cylinder lubricant, and I used a spray bottle to mist some diesel into the intake between sprays of starter fluid. Given all the trouble getting it started I feel as though the injection pump may not be performing at peak capacity. Who knows, we'll see how it starts back up this weekend.

I also now have an air filter installed. Next maintenance step is the transmission fluid/filter change. Then I think its time to work it a little around the farm.

Final post will be a list of all the filters/fluids I used for this maintenance.

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Jim B » Thu Oct 08, 2020 6:09 pm

Good to hear you got it going. Air can be hard to clear sometimes and some systems bother more than others. Probably don't want to run it out of fuel if this time is any indication. Some seat time will make you forgot most of the pain. Have fun.

sspony
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by sspony » Sun Oct 18, 2020 9:25 am

Finally got to operate it a bit last weekend. Im thinking my injection pump or injectors must be having some kind of problem or there is still air in the system. It now requires ether to start every time. In addition it only stays running at mid rpm or high. Anything below that and it stalls out. Never had this problem til I changed the filters. It also looks like I may have a leak at the bleeder screw on the filter housing. Is it possible air is getting into the system there?

Next issue is that the hydraulics are now lacking power. I used to be able to lift the whol machine off the ground with the front bucket and back hoe stabilizers. Now it won't. As the day went on it got a little better, but still a far cry from what is was.

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Jim B » Sun Oct 18, 2020 4:13 pm

If you see a leak at the filter bleeder screw by all means fix it. That should be under pressure and leak more when running but it could let air in when it sets. It sounds like you still have an air issue. I wonder if the fuel transfer pump could be getting weak. If it was slow priming by hand that could be a sign. Watch for your crankcase oil level creeping up. The transfer pump can put fuel in the base when they are failing.

jsal
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by jsal » Sun Oct 18, 2020 6:55 pm

might need to do a compression test if you need to start with starting fluid just had 3 cyl Deere would not start with starter fluid checked low compression turned out to be pited exhaust valves

sspony
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by sspony » Sun Oct 25, 2020 8:17 am

I was wondering about compression. But it always started just fine until I messed with the fuel system. Im gonna make sure the fuel delivery is ok first.

papyrus
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by papyrus » Sun Apr 11, 2021 9:28 am

Hi, i'm working on just about the same equipment. A 450B, of corse us version ;-) and the same Backhoe witch wont fit on the us loader (not yet).
do you know what type of Backhoe it is ? i need a part list and a shop manual and cant find any plate.

sspony
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by sspony » Fri Apr 16, 2021 12:49 pm

Alright guys, spring is here and I'm getting ready to mess with this old thing again. Hoping to clear a driveway in the next couple of months. When I put it back in the barn in the fall two new issues. Remember I just did a full fluids and filters change and these problems we're not present before I did that.

1) It wont start easily. I have to use ether and even with that it struggles. This machine used to fire right up after sitting for years without any ether help at all. Another associated issue is that it only stays running at med to high rpm. Lower rpms it just stalls. I really think I must have air in the system from my fuel filters change. Or one of the seals on the filter is bad and its drawing air in. I guess the injection pump could have a problem, but why right after the filter change. Any thoughts/tips on this would be appreciated.

2) Poor hydraulic strength. It will operate but doesn't have the power to lift itself off the ground like it did before the fluid/filter change. So I'm thinking air in the lines, what's the best way to address this?

sspony
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by sspony » Mon Oct 10, 2022 9:06 am

Hey guys I just wanted to update this thread for closure on the issues I listed.

Last time I was on here I took a perfectly starting/running/operating machine and did a full fluids/filters change on it. Afterwards it wouldn't start well, would only run at wide open throttle, and had poor hydraulic pressure. I parked it in the barn and gave up on it for a bit. Suggestions of low compression and maybe a bad injector pump were offer among a few others. The more I thought about it the more I determined it must have been something related to my recent maintenance.

So I decided to pull the new plastic bleed screw out of the filter housing and put an oring on it before reinstalling. Primed it with the fuel pump lever and it fired right up and idled. So all of that and I guess it was just that chinsey (new) plastic bleed screw letting air into the system.

I'm guessing air was also the culprit with the hydraulics because after letting it sit it has healed/bled itself and we are back to full power.

Stay tuned for some updates. Planning to weld a mechanical thumb on the backhoe next. I also have a spare hydraulic function that was originally for a 4 in 1 bucket I believe. So it may get a hydraulic thumb upgrade or maybe a grapple feature on the front.

Al Swearengen
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by Al Swearengen » Mon Oct 10, 2022 1:26 pm

Jim B wrote:
Sun Oct 18, 2020 4:13 pm
It sounds like you still have an air issue.
Nailed it!
'99 450G 6-Way

77 Ford
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by 77 Ford » Tue Oct 11, 2022 6:56 am

Always nice when a plan comes together!
JD- 450C track loader
Serial #208336T