1965 straight JD crawler help

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
balsabones
MC crawler
MC crawler

1965 straight JD crawler help

Post by balsabones » Wed Jan 13, 2021 2:29 pm

Hi yall from SC,
I have been reading the forum for a while now and have learned that my cousin gave me a 1965 jd crawler straight. It has been running great, (when needed), for the last 8 years but recently started running for about 5 mins and slowly dying. By reading the forum, I learned that the vent tube had a dirt dobber squatter. This dozer is running on the bare minimum, battery to turn her over, (I dont think the glow plug pre-warm works) and fuel to keep her running and water to keep her cool. The wiring harness is disconnected from everything that isnt behind the instrument panel and there is one wire from the battery to the starter and one wire from alternator to battery. The fuel pump is a screw type? That builds pressure fast and turned on by twisting 2 wires together. The throttle cable is a lawn mower lever type. I've never used it more than an hour at a time and have put maybe 6 hours on her in about 8 years. I have changed the oil and fuel filters 3 times. It's time to replace the fuel hoses and, now that I'm retired and dont have to commute to work, I have time to fix things like they are supposed to be. The first thing I want to find is an aftermarket fuel lift pump?, (above the end of the starter). I cant find any writing on the original. The fuel injection pump has a handwritten serial #. I'm also looking to buy a shop manual or download. I have built my own engines and just put the 2 halves of my tafe tractor back together after replacing clutches so, I'm pretty mechanically inclined. I will try and post pics. Thank yall for the knowledge that couldn't be found anywhere else.
Edit: I signed up at Flickr to post pics but I cant figure out how to do it from my phone. I will charge the laptop and try again later.
Last edited by balsabones on Wed Jan 13, 2021 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Re: 1965 straight JD crawler help

Post by Jim B » Wed Jan 13, 2021 3:16 pm

Welcome to the board.

If you would post the model and serial number of your crawler it will be easier to help you, saying straight 1965 JD crawler, it could be a couple different ones. You should contact Lavoy (postmaster@jdcrawlers.com). He owns this site and his business of selling parts and repairing John Deere crawlers provides this site for us to use. He will be able to help help you with your transfer/lift pump and a set of manuals. He works on these crawlers so you can be sure he will provide you with good parts and manuals and he is a phone call or email away if you encounter a problem with anything you get from him. That doesn't hold true with many aftermarket suppliers.
Jim

balsabones
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by balsabones » Wed Jan 13, 2021 3:25 pm

Hi Jim B, thank you for the reply.
The serial # is T4F3D010120
The injector pump is stanadyne -JDB2797
From what I've read on the board, it's a 1965 JD 350 straight, directional reverser
I started an account on Flickr but cant figure out how to post the pics from my phone. I will try from laptop when its charged.

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Jim B » Wed Jan 13, 2021 5:21 pm

You have it identified correctly.
Machine serial number tag breakdown using the 350 Introduction from the JD parts Catalog:

SN = serial number
T = Tractor
4 = JD350
F = Crawler Dozer
3 = Diesel
D = (Transmission) Sliding Gear with Reverser

Serial number: 010120 (This number falls in the 1965 build range using the serial number list on this site’s FAQ board)

T= (Build location) John Deere Dubuque Works

During these years the blades were is a separate parts catalog and not in the crawler catalog. The common blade models used were:
6300 350, 350B, 350C 1965-1974 Inside mount, hydraulic lift, manual tilt and angle
6305 350, 350B, 350C, and 350D 1965-1988 Inside mount, full hydraulic 6 way
6310 350, 350B, 350C, and 350D 1965-1988 Outside mount, hydraulic lift, manual tilt and angle
Hope these descriptions will help you ID your blade, if you haven't done that already.

A check of your injection pump is to remove the two screws hat hold the timing window cover(the little metal plate on the side) and take it off. Have a clean rag under it. If you see little pellets, aka "mouse turds", behind the plate, the pellethane ring in the pump is breaking up and the pump needs a rebuild. You can also try running it with the plate on but loose. Some fuel will leak out while running, but if it runs better it is another sign of the same issue. It is likely the check valve at the excess fuel outlet of the pump is plugged with this same material.

As I posted before Lavoy can provide your transfer pump, they are common. The old AC rebuildable ones are most often replaced with the newer Airtex style throw away ones,

Here is a link you can click on to get to the on line John Deere parts book for your crawler. https://partscatalog.deere.com/jdrc/nav ... ment/62257

This site has a dedicated picture server. You can read about it on the Messageboard Q&A and Announcements Board (visible at the bottom of the Board Index, when you are logged in) If you want to use it you need to set up an account for that server with Lavoy.
Jim

jsal
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by jsal » Thu Jan 14, 2021 5:07 am

I have the same series dozer check all of your fluids as no fluid no movement JIM

balsabones
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by balsabones » Thu Jan 14, 2021 12:05 pm

I hope yall can see these pics. She ain't pretty but gets the job done.

Last edited by balsabones on Fri Jan 15, 2021 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Jim B » Thu Jan 14, 2021 12:34 pm

All I get is an ad wanting me to sign up for Photobucket.

balsabones
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by balsabones » Thu Jan 14, 2021 1:47 pm

Well dang it!!
Thank you Jim B.
I will try the forum server thingy.
I have the inside mount, manual blade, thanks again Jim B.

balsabones
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by balsabones » Fri Jan 15, 2021 2:30 pm

Finally got pictures up and ordered, Fuel Pump RE42211 for John Deere 350 from amazon. I saw a post on here about the rebuild kit for the Stanadyne injection pump. The post suggested it isnt difficult and just need a torx driver. I rebuilt the carburetor on my 78 f 250 but, sent my Bosch injector pump, (Tafe 35di), to SCpumpguy. There were timing issues and stuff that I didn't have the tools or test equipment to do it.
BTW, SCpumpguy did awesome on my pump.

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Jim B » Fri Jan 15, 2021 3:18 pm

Yes, people put kits in them themselves. However I don't believe they have the wear limits and specs to set them up by, nor proper equipment to calibrate them with. Depending on how far you have to go, your pump may need a Bristol bit or two, not torx bits. Some succeed, some end up breaking something and then it costs even more when they send it to a shop. I know there are some here who will say there is no need to send them out and I respect their opinion, as I hope they do mine. Personally, I send any pumps I am involved with to a pump shop. I have had some training on injection systems and worked on them some in a shop, with the right tooling and calibration equipment, which I don't have at home. If I have to remove it for anything more than the shaft umbrella seals it is going to a shop. It is your machine, the end decision is yours.

B Town
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by B Town » Fri Jan 15, 2021 3:20 pm

That looks like a great little 350 crawler with a nice outside mount blade. These can be great projects. I like that there are lots of little things that can be improved. Fix a little as you go and eventually everything is A-1.

Best regards, Bruce

LeonardL
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by LeonardL » Fri Jan 15, 2021 7:19 pm

I agree with Jim on rebuilding your own pump. The only time I recommend doing one yourself is if and only if you have the mechanical ability to do such a repair. They are a simple pump but they do have some very close tolerances that you need to know and understand or you will just end up frustrated. I've done a lot of them but I always send them out if they are having difficulties that I know I can't fix. Jim is also correct in that you need a Bristol tool and not a TORX. I don't remember the size, I would have to go look it up. Torx will sometimes work but it is much safer to get the right tool. You take a chance of ruining the piece you're trying to remove. Then as Jim said you end up spending more than if you would have just sent it out in the first place. There are just as many posts on here where guys have screwed their pumps up as there are the ones who've succeeded. I know I have urged some of the guys on here to do their own pumps but every time I do I always wonder if they really have the ability or not. I probably will quit doing that since I don't really know. I'm not saying you can't do it or that you don't have the ability because I don't know you. But if I was the least bit apprehensive about doing it, then I would definitely send it off. Personally, if this was mine and as old as it is, I would send it off. I would have it updated with the newer governor and have them replace the shaft bushings, new fuel metering valve and reset the calibrations to current tolerances. Then it will last you a life time and probably the guy who owns it after you.
40 plus years working on JD 350s, 400Gs, 450s and other equipment both Ag and Construction.

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Fri Jan 15, 2021 10:05 pm

So here is my 2 cents on rebuilding a pump. I had a guy rebuild a pump for me. Exceedingly skilled diesel mechanic, rebuilt tons of pumps. He replaced all the necessary parts, repaired the pump just fine, I have no question he did a good job. Crawler just didn't seem right. Sent the pump to a large injection shop that does work for me as well. They checked it over, then they ran the pump on an injection pump test stand. Checked and reset fuel flow to factory spec. Checked and set timing advance to factory spec,. Checked and set governor to factory spec, etc, etc.
I'm not dissing or questioning the guy that rebuilt it for me, but rebuilding the pump and replacing parts is only part of the equation.
Maybe a poor analogy, but you can have a cylinder head rebuilt by the best machine shop on earth, but if you don't set the valves once the head is on, the whole was possibly a waste of time.
Lavoy
Parts and restoration for antique and late model John Deere crawlers.
Owner and moderator www.jdcrawlers.com

balsabones
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by balsabones » Sat Jan 16, 2021 7:02 pm

I assumed as it was it was old, it would be a simple rebuild with few moving parts. If I'm going to take it off, I want it rebuilt like new so I believe I'll be sending it off.
I'm pretty mechanically inclined when it comes to working on cars and engines and I'm a gunsmith but, I have the shop of a backyard mechanic/gunsmith with none of the tools or instruments to rebuild, (let alone calibrate and test), an injector pump.
B Town, it's going to be fun fixing things on it. I dont know what the directional reverser does or a few levers on the floor. All the cables are missing or frozen beyond help. All I do with it is push dirt now and then and drag logs from the forest that are too big for my tractor. The hydraulic lift on back is strong but not quite a 3 point hitch.

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Jim B » Sat Jan 16, 2021 8:49 pm

Does the hydraulic lift on the back of yours look similar to this one? You might have just the beam without the shanks(teeth). You should post a couple photos showing your complete machine