JD 440IC brake and final drive

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
KoniskaMyron
MC crawler
MC crawler

JD 440IC brake and final drive

Post by KoniskaMyron » Tue May 14, 2024 11:23 am

I have a JD 440IC and the last time that I was using it, I lost any steering on the right side. Went through the adjusting steps according to the manual, and discovered that the t bolt on the brake band was broken. So ordered a new brake band, and after much pounding and some cussing, finally got the master pin driven out, and everything off to remove the final drive. Got that out, replaced the brake band, put the final drive back on and now the brake band is tight enough that I can't get the pin back in the linkage. What did I do wrong? I had to force the new brake band on over the clutch frame, doesn't seem like the brake band should be that tight.

Also, is there anyplace that could replace the t bolt in the old brake band? Then I would have a spare for next time.

Any help would be appreciated. KoniskaMyron

dtoots1
350 crawler
350 crawler

Re: JD 440IC brake and final drive

Post by dtoots1 » Mon May 20, 2024 2:06 pm

Well...Welcome to the world of problems...old crawlers..

I am a bit confused..what master pin??? to what? seems to me...on my 440 steering/finals....when putting my brake band (new) on...i simply put it on and when sliding over the flywheel...made sure that i adjusted the band as loose i it would slide past the housing and over the drum or flywheel...the adjusting bolt was already fastened...just loose enough to maneuver...and yes on the last inch or so i used a rubber mallet to bump it back, the final flush to the tranny...there is a bit of friction from the brake band....unless you get that t-bolt back in and started you wont be able to adjust the brakes period....why was it not started when assembling???

Other question you mite consider...what broke the t-bolt in the first place??? Something more wrong elswhere? pretty hard piece to break..

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Tue May 21, 2024 10:02 am

I would guess a defective brake band.
Lavoy
Parts and restoration for antique and late model John Deere crawlers.
Owner and moderator www.jdcrawlers.com

KoniskaMyron
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by KoniskaMyron » Tue May 21, 2024 10:22 am

In response to dtoots1, the master pin is the one to split the tracks. The t-bolt I had started but I had taken out the clevis pin to connect the linkage thinking that I could put it back in once everything was in place. If I had hands about the size of a five year old that might have worked.

It probably wasn't right, but in desperation because I hadn't received any answers, and I needed to get it out of the way in order to get other machinery out of the shed, I took a fine rasp to the new brake band and removed the new humps and then reflattened the one rivet that was right on the unused mounting peg for the brake band, so now I had some clearance and enough slack to get all of the linkages connected. Once everything was together, Drove it ahead about 10 feet so that I wasn't blocking the shed door anymore, haven't taken it outside yet to see how it acts.

Why the t-bolt broke is a good question, it broke about halfway up the threads.

KoniskaMyron

dtoots1
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by dtoots1 » Thu May 23, 2024 12:54 pm

OK so where are you at with this now?? is the t bolt at least started in the brake band ..so that adjustment can begin?
or is it still jammed?

If jammed...then back to basics..take final off again and find out what is causing it to jam...

first question..was this brake band from Lavoy ...his is recommended...if other source...could be questionable as to thickness and reliability...i would suspect that be issue...mine was new from Lavoy...it was a bit snug but was able to work it on..it can also be too loose and drag on the housing itself so look closely when getting it started.

By the way..my old brake band literally 1 side broke in half..as badly rusted and large farmer put a bit of pressure to it...i do have the t bolt if your would like it..