JD 550 transmission problems

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
rmcauley
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by rmcauley » Wed Oct 24, 2007 7:09 pm

I have a older John Deere 550 dozer that the transmission has stopped working correctly and the left steering just went out. When it is cold it pulls fair but once it warms up it doesnt pull strong even thought the motor is strong. of course now it only goes in circles.

Without even looking at it the dealer told me it was not worth fixing and if he fixed it he would not guarentee it. Ok .. got it .. now how do I fix this or is it really a waste of time?

What I know about the machine:
1. bought it used, the motor is new rebuilt a year ago.
2. transmition had some water in it because the oil was whiteish grey.
3 there was no debree in the transmition
4. the transmition overheats but the motor is ok.
5. there is no evidence of oil in the radiator.
6. after a loud pop on the left stearing it no longer works.

What I have done so far:
1. changed the tranny fluid and filter(it had some water in it and I don't know where it came from?)
2. replaced the hydrolic pump (this changed nothing)
3. attempted to adjust the left steering, by the manual, it changes nothing

I am ready to take the tracks of and break her down but cant find the pin, or at least I'm not sure because there are about four that look like what the book describes as the one to pound out.

Can I adapt a transmition from another year to work in this?
can I adapt the newer hydro static to fit and work?
I hate to junk it because the motor runs strong and the rest of the machine is in good shape.

digitup
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by digitup » Fri Oct 26, 2007 12:09 pm

First I have said this before DO NOT TAKE THESE OLD DEERE'S TO A DEALER AND ASK THEM TO FIX IT .You have just entered a establishment that consider anything older than the G series dozers SCRAP .If they cant find parts on the computer they cant get them and don't care to .This is totally different than the Agricultural dealers who will look up parts for your 40c or M any day .Now transmission repairs start at the top and work down .remove the seat, fuel tank and battery box and work down .It is in your powershift units and rebuild all Next when you are in that deep look into the final drive that is the problem I would say broken brake linkage ?You can do this job your self we know you can ! .Find some one that is good at diesel repairs and get them to help.These are not rocket science nor should they be junked We will help you through it even . Those old 550 John Deeres are a great dozer I had one with 16000 hours on it and should have never sold it .I have owned 12, 550 s of every series A,B,G,H,and J since that and if I owned that 550 unit I would fix it to like new they are my favorite by far . Digitup,

rmcauley
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by rmcauley » Fri Oct 26, 2007 8:52 pm

digitup wrote:First I have said this before DO NOT TAKE THESE OLD DEERE'S TO A DEALER AND ASK THEM TO FIX IT .You have just entered a establishment that consider anything older than the G series dozers SCRAP .If they cant find parts on the computer they cant get them and don't care to .This is totally different than the Agricultural dealers who will look up parts for your 40c or M any day .Now transmission repairs start at the top and work down .remove the seat, fuel tank and battery box and work down .It is in your powershift units and rebuild all Next when you are in that deep look into the final drive that is the problem I would say broken brake linkage ?You can do this job your self we know you can ! .Find some one that is good at diesel repairs and get them to help.These are not rocket science nor should they be junked We will help you through it even . Those old 550 John Deeres are a great dozer I had one with 16000 hours on it and should have never sold it .I have owned 12, 550 s of every series A,B,G,H,and J since that and if I owned that 550 unit I would fix it to like new they are my favorite by far . Digitup,

rmcauley
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by rmcauley » Fri Oct 26, 2007 8:59 pm

Thanks for the encouragement, I knew it couldn't be as bad as they made it out to be. While I'm in there; what do you think is making the transmition overheat?

digitup
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by digitup » Sat Oct 27, 2007 1:38 pm

When you are in there you will get a good sense of how things work but in a nut shell the multiple plate clutches were slipping this is what heats up the oil now look at the shaft seals and the piston seals DON'T MESS AROUND replace these they are cheap .And you don't want to go back in!! [Nice place to visit but you don't want to live there ] I always say .When you replace the plates the steels probably don't need to be replaced but this is how you tell .Find a good flat area and lay the steel plates on it one at a time if they look at all warped replace them .It is that simple Good luck keep in touch we will get you through it .Digitup.

rmcauley
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by rmcauley » Sun Oct 28, 2007 7:36 pm

OK, got it. I took the seat off and started draining the fuel tank this afternoon. I also spent some time reading my manual and it says to pull the motor to get to the tranny? Looks like a lot more work than the way you described. I will take your word for it and start on top by removing the battery box and working my way down, will this all come off as a unit or does it come off in pieces? I can see I will need to remove a lot of plumbing and linkage to get down there (why i went to the book) and this is no sweat, just figuring out the order to take things off will take some time.

thanks, Rick

digitup
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by digitup » Wed Oct 31, 2007 5:28 pm

Only pull the motor if you are pulling the trany [In which case you are not taking the trany out ] You are going in the top !.An engine lifter would come in handy when removing the battery box and the hydraulic tank .As well as the fuel tank these are a bit heavy.Come to think about it the battery box and the hydraulic tank I think one or both of these may be able to stay in place? .Digitup.

Bullrunfarm
MC crawler
MC crawler

Help with similar problem

Post by Bullrunfarm » Thu Dec 15, 2016 9:43 am

I have a similar problem. My 555 runs great and pushes great until it warms up and works hard. It then loses pushing power and progresses to no movement at all. After it idles or sits for several minutes, it will run again.

Is the process for addressing my problem also top down? I was told by a dealer that the most likely cause is the friction clutches slipping. Can they be replaced from the top - without pulling the engine?

Thanks for any advice that can be offered!