450c transmission steering clutch common sump conversion

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
joeg2461
MC crawler
MC crawler

450c transmission steering clutch common sump conversion

Post by joeg2461 » Mon Jul 27, 2015 8:31 pm

I have a 1978 450c that I have been working on for the last few months. I have read bits and pieces about the conversion that needs to be done to make the transmission and the steering clutch housing into a common sump for the oil. If someone could tell me what needs to be done to do this I would appreciate it. I already have it torn down. This is my first post on here, but I have been reading and learning from you all for awhile. Thanks in advance for your help.

DrLoch
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by DrLoch » Tue Jul 28, 2015 6:50 am

Powertrain section 40, Page 15-5 details the conversion
450C Track Loader
291457T

joeg2461
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by joeg2461 » Tue Jul 28, 2015 8:55 am

Thanks for the reply.I've checked my service manual and its not in there. My manual may be older. Some or all of the conversion may have been done to the dozer but I want to be sure. What I can tell from looking at the drawings is the bleed off line is removed, the hole in the pressure manifold where the line was is plugged with a bolt, and it looks like there may be a couple of seals that would be in the pressure manifold gone. Is that all for the conversion? thanks

DrLoch
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by DrLoch » Tue Jul 28, 2015 12:23 pm

1- Clutch Housing
2-Transmission Case
3-Cap Screws (10 used)

4-Lock Washers {10 used)
5-Housing Cover
6-Bleed Hose (early units)

7-Tapped Hole
8-Pipe Plug

Fig. 5-Common Oil Reservoir

NOTE: Oil seals (16 and 18, Fig. 4) and bleed hose (6, Fig. 5) are no longer available which converts the steering clutch housing to common sump. When in­
stalling a new clutch pressure manifold ring (19, Fig. 4},
oil seals and bleed hose will not be used.

Remove and discard bleed hoses (6, Fig. 5).

Remove and apply Loctite to oil level check plug and install as it is no longer used.

The right and left steering clutch housings (1, Fig. 5) and transmission case (2) oil reservoirs can be joined as a common sump. This will eliminate oil transfer and steering clutch housing venting.

Remove cap screws (3) and remove clutch housing covers (5}.

If clutch housings are equipped with pipe plug breathers, remove and replace with pipe plugs {8, Fig.
5). Venting of housing will occur through the transmission breather.

Add approximately 3 gallons (11.4 L) per housing of the recommended oil to bring oil level in steering clutch housings to bottom of tapped hole (7) in side of housings where bleed lines were removed. (See Section I,
Group V for the type of oil used.)

Install clutch housings covers, and tighten cap screws.

Steering clutch housing oil level will now be maintained by leak-off. A check of transmission oil level will assure correct amount of oil for both housings. Checking final drive housing oil level will still be required.
450C Track Loader
291457T

joeg2461
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by joeg2461 » Tue Jul 28, 2015 3:02 pm

That appears to be what has been done except on my tractor a plug bolt has been put in where the bleed off pipe screwed into the pressure manifold ring. Think I should leave it in or take it out? thanks