1959 John Deere 440 clutch replaced, issues afterwards

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
Mark1331
MC crawler
MC crawler

1959 John Deere 440 clutch replaced, issues afterwards

Post by Mark1331 » Sat Oct 12, 2019 5:14 pm

Hi all, I recently had some work done on my 1959 440. It got to where I could not get it into gear, so I had the clutch replaced along with some rollers, and fluid replacement. Bear in mind this was not full clutch replacement, it only goes back and forwards using the gearbox. That is the way it was when I bought it and have not replaced those clutches and such.

Previously when the old clutch was working well, I just started it up, put it in gear, and I was off. Now, it will not do that, it needs to run at least 20 minutes for it to move acceptably, but it has little power and any little thing seems to stop it. Also, when put in reverse it will go awhile, then just stop. I have to put it in first and go forward a bit, and then reverse again and hope it engages.

When I attempt to go left or right, it generally bogs down and barely turns either way. The motor itself runs fine.

Any ideas? I've messaged the guy who worked on it but I've not heard back yet.

I really appreciate any input you have! I'm stumped on this and am hoping that I can get it back in usable shape. Right now it is of no use.

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: 1959 John Deere 440 clutch replaced, issues afterwards

Post by Lavoy » Sun Oct 13, 2019 12:04 am

Nothing that I can think of would change as far as clutch engagement whether it idles for a second or 20 minutes, nothing changes.
Lavoy
Parts and restoration for antique and late model John Deere crawlers.
Owner and moderator www.jdcrawlers.com

Mark1331
MC crawler
MC crawler

Re: 1959 John Deere 440 clutch replaced, issues afterwards

Post by Mark1331 » Sun Oct 13, 2019 6:47 pm

Thanks Lavoy. That's my thinking too. Before the clutch replacement it took off as soon as you started it. I would have never had it replaced if it had not gotten to where it would not go in gear unless I started it in gear.