jd440ic radiator fan, etc

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
dtoots1
350 crawler
350 crawler

jd440ic radiator fan, etc

Post by dtoots1 » Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:31 am

Well folks, that didn't work as well as i would have liked. Got the new 6 blade fan on and noticed my water pump shaft moved slightly, i checked and moved it by hand a bit to see that it cleared my fixed radiator as it had sprung a leak after blade blew off. Seems that was NOT the thing to do, once i started old gal up she spun the fan right straight up and just nicked the fins about 20 degrees of the circle and left her nice and shiny so back to rad shop with it to find out.
Luckily i have donor engine with water pump on it, was rusted tight but once off the block i worked on loosening bolts etc and shaft and all rotated nice and free and solid...no wiggle on this one. will see if local shop can do my bad water pump if not believe Lavoy has parts maybe shaft? bearings or whatever is out.
got rad out without taking nose off but sure won't be able to put it back on and get those 2 lower right side bolts back in with 1 inch of room on sidle.
will know tomorrow

NOTE to CuttingEdge...great to have you back, been thinking of y'all!!!

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: jd440ic radiator fan, etc

Post by Lavoy » Mon Jan 13, 2020 2:24 pm

I normally keep rebuilt pumps on hand, I can check if you want.
Lavoy
Parts and restoration for antique and late model John Deere crawlers.
Owner and moderator www.jdcrawlers.com

dtoots1
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by dtoots1 » Mon Jan 13, 2020 4:06 pm

Lavoy,
If you will check and advise price....also do you need core ?
thanks

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Mon Jan 13, 2020 8:22 pm

Yes, unless you want a new one. They are quite a bit more expensive, so started stocking rebuilts. Shoot me an e-mail, and I will get back to you later this week, out of office for a couple days.
Lavoy
Parts and restoration for antique and late model John Deere crawlers.
Owner and moderator www.jdcrawlers.com

dtoots1
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by dtoots1 » Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:44 pm

the story continues..... radiator still leaked after getting it all back together, so back to Barberton Radiator, where he showed me test in tank and sure enough leaking where i had indicated....went back today 1 day later and it is fixed...had it in tank and put 20psi test to it and it passes.....wonderful news and NO CHARGE again...so actually fixed dang thing 3 times....

would you believe i was able to get radiator back in with hard nose on??...not once but twice!! not fun but do able

so now i have fixed my donor water pump up with gasket material and made em myself...though now i consider that may be bad issue...gasket material is thicker than the paper ones that were in pump...am afraid the impeller clearance will be an issue as these things are fairly particular so can move that water efficiently....think may actually be to much clearance...gskt material probably a bit over 2 times as thick, will see......after driving test.....fast idle ran hot after a while so i shut her down, cleaned mud off and started her back up and put in shed, no over hot to do that, but just ran couple minutes....
notice backside of volt regulator putting out a little smoke or steam?, tis old and has alternator 12volt system, must not have volt reg in alternator , so what volt regulator i need, have old one off my old 57 chevy, would that be ok to use if it works????

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Jim B » Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:40 pm

You say you have an alternator. !957 Chevy would have been a generator I believe so no, on using that regulator. You need a regulator for like a 73 Chevy (Delco 10SI 3 wire) alternator I believe. If you compare the two regulators the generator one is usually rectangular with screw terminals and the alternator one is square and the wires go on spade terminals, would have been one 4 wire slip on connector to connect the regulator in the Chevy and might be if the person converting it used that connector. Best if you post a picture of the back of the alternator and regulator showing the wires and someone will help you ID them.

I'll be out for a bit moving some snow but will check as soon as I get back in. Plow truck just quit while I was setting in the drive waiting for the town plow to go by. It was running fine and is only about 30F so it shouldn't be a fuel problem but I'm going to get it out of the way with the loader hoe and try changing the filter later. Crap happens as you well know.

Those water pump back plate gaskets aren't very thick. I would be thinking about getting a pump and gaskets from Lavoy, if there is any doubt about the condition of your spare. You can always send him the one you took off as a core and keep the spare on for now.

Keep plugging,

Jim

dtoots1
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by dtoots1 » Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:56 pm

my thoughts exactly..figgered the clearance probably critical on the impeller! thanks for the heads up on the voltage regulator, now that you mention it the one on is smaller and square and other is larger and rectangular -- so that out...have to mark wires and take old v.r. off and in to napa to be sure...maybe some numbers on it yet..

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Jim B » Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:43 pm

A Delco number for the one I'm thinking it might be is 1119507. That is actually in the 1972 vintage GM products. They started with some of the internal regulators in 1973. That crosses to a VR103 Standard motor products or an Echlin VR142. That should help speed things up when you take your old one in to compare. Those are the part numbers for the better grade regulators. Both Standard and Echlin (NAPA) have 'trade" lines now that are lower priced to compete with the cheaper ones other places sell.