350B steering issue

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
timmtnman
440 crawler
440 crawler

350B steering issue

Post by timmtnman » Tue Apr 27, 2021 3:48 pm

I was working the dozer last weekend and the left side does not want to steer anymore. I have to pull the lever all the way to the seat to get a little bit of steering out of it. Looked at it today and the lever is about 1/2 inch from the stop on floorboard. The lever pulls back pretty easily now. Was going to do an adjustment but with the lever not going all the way forward I thought that would be a waste of time. Anyone have this issue before. Maybe broken spring or something. Any thoughts before I break it down.

LeonardL
350 crawler
350 crawler

Re: 350B steering issue

Post by LeonardL » Tue Apr 27, 2021 6:11 pm

Linkage would be my guess. Either bent rod between the steering lever and the actuator lever before it goes inside the clutch housing or rusty linkage inside the clutch housing. When you go inside make sure all of your linkages or moving freely on their shafts and the throw out bearing is free and being pulled away from the pressure plate. Check all of the pivot points and clean them up where necessary. Coat them good with anti seize
40 plus years working on JD 350s, 400Gs, 450s and other equipment both Ag and Construction.

timmtnman
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by timmtnman » Wed Apr 28, 2021 4:06 am

I put a new brake band in it a year or so ago cause the other one broke. I did not replace the clutches on that side. Rookie mistake. The other side I put everything new in there and it hasn't given a problem. But I will check the linkage too when I get it apart.

timmtnman
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by timmtnman » Thu May 06, 2021 6:38 pm

Got it tore apart today and inspected everything and everything looked good inside. The steering lever still dont go all the way forward so I started watching the booster move and I believe that is the actual problem with that. Has anyone ever seen this happen before. Something inside broken and can they be rebuilt. Wanted to put new clutches on that side anyways cause I didn't do it when I replaced the brake band on that side. Other side I replaced everything and it has always worked better than this side. Rookie mistake.

LeonardL
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by LeonardL » Fri May 07, 2021 7:52 am

Okay so when you say it all looks good inside? Have you actually checked to make sure that all of the linkage is working freely? My point is, looking good and being good is two complete different things. While you have this apart make darn sure the internal linkages are not rust bound and stuck.

To answer your steering assist question, yes you can take them apart and rebuild them. You will need a tech manual so you can get the adjustment procedure. I don't remember exactly how to adjust them although it is pretty simple as I recall.

In my experience I have never had one of those cylinders be the issue with a steering lever not falling back forward as it should. It has always been stuck or bound linkage on the inside. I'm not saying it isn't possible. Anything is possible. Especially on a 350. They have made me look pretty stupid more times than I like to count. I'm just saying that out of the several hundred of these that I have done I've never seen a steering assist cylinder be this issue.

You might have a pivot point issue at the sides of the cylinder where they pivot. Outside of adjustment it would be the only other thing I can think of that might cause your lever to not rest properly.
40 plus years working on JD 350s, 400Gs, 450s and other equipment both Ag and Construction.

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Fri May 07, 2021 8:32 am

A thought just struck me, if overdone, you can bend stuff inside, I had one once that was bent, so actuated goofy. It was one of the pieces internally on the steering lever shaft.
Lavoy
Parts and restoration for antique and late model John Deere crawlers.
Owner and moderator www.jdcrawlers.com

timmtnman
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by timmtnman » Fri May 07, 2021 5:50 pm

All the linkage inside moves freely and throw out bearing slides easy too. The shaft at the back where the steering booster hooks too looks like it is in the same position as the other side. When I was watching the boosters yesterday, it looked like it was binding on the pivots not letting it fall forward. Not sure what would cause this but the cylinders, pistons, look the same on both boosters. Will check everything out that has been mentioned. Thanks

timmtnman
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by timmtnman » Sat May 08, 2021 11:34 am

Figured out it has something to do with steering booster, looks like something to do with pivot points.

timmtnman
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by timmtnman » Sat May 08, 2021 3:25 pm

Problem solved, the jam nut on the front cylinder had come loose and worked it's way out of adjustment. The other issue I have is that the brake adjusting bolt loosens up on this side too. I put a new bolt in it last year when I replaced the band. Any thoughts on that issue.

LeonardL
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by LeonardL » Sun May 09, 2021 9:41 am

Glad you found the issue with the steering lever. I am assuming you are referring to the main adjusting bolt for the brake band itself? The only things I can think of that would let it back off would be the spring not being strong enough to hold tension against the detent on the bolt. Or the detent itself is not holding the bolt in place after adjustment. The only other thing would be maybe wear in on the brake band. I have had those back off quite a bit as they wear in or break in.

timmtnman
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by timmtnman » Sun May 09, 2021 4:07 pm

Yes, I'm talking about brake band bolt. When I first got the machine and went through the adjustments the detent was broken from the bolt and just kept tightening as needed. When I put the new brake band in I replaced the bolt with a new one and JD loves those bolts, $100. It would also become loose and just kept tightening it too. Might of had something to do with the steering booster over time too not really sure but I think it always disengaged the brakes.